Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 13, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #6,661 of 8,238
@aceedburn Hi, aceeburn. May you share with me how you connect WM1A to your FiiO K5 Pro? I want to buy an amp to drive my Sennheiser HD650 but many people say that coonecting an digital amp to WM1A will end up double amping. I attached the rear part of FiiO so that it can facilitate your explanation. Look forward to your info.
Hi. Yeah theoretically it is double amping but who cares about technicalities. I only trust my ears. The 3.5mm out from WM1A is super clean. So I use a 3.5mm out of the WM1A into the rca input of my tube preamp. And then RCA out from the pre amp to RCA line in of K5 Pro. This is my ultimate best sounding rig as it utilises the Sony Walkman dac and gets filtered by the tubes and into the k5 pro. I also have a line out directly from the WM port of the WM1A into the usb in of the k5 pro as an alternative. It gives a different sound that’s also good as it’s utilising the dac of the k5 pro where the WM1A only acts as a source. My default is always the 1st option. Hope this helps. I’ve attached a rear view picture of my connections for your clarity as well.
08F91606-33EF-4C21-B037-D953A818A5EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #6,662 of 8,238
Hi. Yeah theoretically it is double amping but who cares about technicalities. I only trust my ears. The 3.5mm out from WM1A is super clean. So I use a 3.5mm out of the WM1A into the rca input of my tube preamp. And then RCA out from the pre amp to RCA line in of K5 Pro. This is my ultimate best sounding rig as it utilises the Sony Walkman dac and gets filtered by the tubes and into the k5 pro. I also have a line out directly from the WM port of the WM1A into the usb in of the k5 pro as an alternative. It gives a different sound that’s also good as it’s utilising the dac of the k5 pro where the WM1A only acts as a source. My default is always the 1st option. Hope this helps. I’ve attached a rear view picture of my connections for your clarity as well. 08F91606-33EF-4C21-B037-D953A818A5EB.jpeg
Thanks a lot aceedburn, your info and picture do help me understand how you built the rig :)

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #6,664 of 8,238
@camera I've seen some people online using a WM-port to 3.5mm interconnect line out cable. Not sure how it works though. There are also some other terminations like the standard L/R audio jack, as well as type C. Some can be bought from Amazon I believe.

Doesn’t work for the 1A/1Z.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #6,666 of 8,238
Too bad. I was thinking of trying one, the 3.5mm termination. I saw a few Walkman A series owners using them. I wonder how they made them work. Quite a long time ago when I stumbled upon their posts on FB. Forgot the names. I should've asked then.

A players have line-out via the WM-Port, but ZX300 & WM1A/Z don't, this is why it works on A players.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #6,668 of 8,238
A players have line-out via the WM-Port, but ZX300 & WM1A/Z don't, this is why it works on A players.
Oh that's why. Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I know. I'll check out more info on that.

I have been very impressed by how clean the headphone outs are for use as a "Line Out". I have had the use of a literal line out on the NW-A45 and I think it's a non-issue to use the headphone outs instead. The ZX-300 and the WM-1A are just fine using the headphone jacks. Real fine.
I thought so too since I've tried that multiple times and haven't noticed anything bad. I'm just curious how much improvement there could be if it's a true line out. Anyway, I don't have anything excessively hard to drive though to require amps but there are some that still benefit with a portable amp included in the chain. Most of them earbuds.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,669 of 8,238
Oh that's why. Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I know. I'll check out more info on that.

I thought so too since I've tried that multiple times and haven't noticed anything bad. I'm just curious how much improvement there could be if it's a true line out. Anyway, I don't have anything excessively hard to drive though to require amps but there are some that still benefit with a portable amp included in the chain. Most of them earbuds.
Just remember that if you're using the line out the Walkman is just used as a transport and it would be the signature of your dac/amp that you would hear. Amping the 3.5mm you would be hearing the signature of the Walkman which has the advantage of being able to use the EQ, other sound settings and also change regions and tunings to suit.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #6,670 of 8,238
Just remember that if you're using the line out the Walkman is just used as a transport and it would be the signature of your dac/amp that you would hear. Amping the 3.5mm you would be hearing the signature of the Walkman which has the advantage of being able to use the EQ, other sound settings and also change regions and tunings to suit.
If you use the analog line out from the A series walkman you are still using the walkman dac but if you use the digital out the walkman is only a storage media

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,671 of 8,238
Yes, I'm well aware since I've used other DAPs as transport before. I'm just not used to how Sony is doing it with their stuff. I'm quite satisfied on how my ZX300 sounds right now with the WalkmanOne CF. The question earlier just brought back my curiosity on how an amp with proper connection to my DAP would sound using my current IEMs and earbuds. I guess double amping is my only option as of now. Thanks for the input though.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #6,672 of 8,238
@camera I've seen some people online using a WM-port to 3.5mm interconnect line out cable. Not sure how it works though. There are also some other terminations like the standard L/R audio jack, as well as type C. Some can be bought from Amazon I believe.

@pr0b3r Thx for sharing; though others said it might not work.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #6,673 of 8,238
@pr0b3r Thx for sharing; though others said it might not work.
It will work on the A players (A35, A45, A55 and other older players) but not on the WM players. I’m not sure about the various ZX models

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #6,674 of 8,238
And way bigger C49EB914-6828-4F66-85B8-DBF63397D2E5.jpeg
Far too big and Android. I have zero interest in yet another Google powered device that acquires your data so they can monetise it...

Q-6

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #6,675 of 8,238
I’m sure they will discontinue the old models when current stock has been sold
Of that I have little doubt, Sony will want it's ROI soon as possible and there's also a big hike in price...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back