Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #6,646 of 8,320
I bought a used WM1A and it has a mod installed already, Dawn (Classic). Which stock firmware do I choose to revert back to stock so I can install the newest FW? Any help would be appreciated.

Would it be the official Sony FW one at the top of the list. I also see there is a Midnight Dawn revert also. Just want to make sure I install the right revert.
Use the midnight/dawn revert and wait for the player to reboot. Then reinstall the Sony stock 3.02 firmware and let the player reboot again. Then you can install Walkman one. Hope this helps.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #6,648 of 8,320
What is the current state of MrWalkman firmware for NW-WM1A? It sounds like there have been many iterations, everything from GUI changes to sound signature. Id like to know more before I start flashing firmwares.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #6,649 of 8,320
Use the midnight/dawn revert and wait for the player to reboot. Then reinstall the Sony stock 3.02 firmware and let the player reboot again. Then you can install Walkman one. Hope this helps.
I got it change and now it says, model NW-WM1Z and Walkman One (WM1Z) Firmware by Mr. Walkman. But it says external tuning not applied. I also cant find the CFW folder. Is there something else I need to do? Thanks in advance for help.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #6,650 of 8,320
I got it change and now it says, model NW-WM1Z and Walkman One (WM1Z) Firmware by Mr. Walkman. But it says external tuning not applied. I also cant find the CFW folder. Is there something else I need to do? Thanks in advance for help.
The cfw folder is on the internal storage at the root level next to the Music folder. You have to install the external tuning from there or from your computer drive where they also are.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #6,651 of 8,320
What is the current state of MrWalkman firmware for NW-WM1A? It sounds like there have been many iterations, everything from GUI changes to sound signature. Id like to know more before I start flashing firmwares.
Just read this thread and you’ll know

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #6,652 of 8,320
Just use the latest and greatest, Walkman one. Read the instructions that come with the installer for the multitude sound tweaks and customizations that are possible and you’ll be in audio nirvana.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #6,653 of 8,320
You need to instal the corresponding tuning for the sound signature. You need a pc to access the cfw folder in your Walkman. In your case it’s the default wm1z sound tuning. Read the instruction in the folder for the various tweaks and customization options.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #6,654 of 8,320
The cfw folder is on the internal storage at the root level next to the Music folder. You have to install the external tuning from there or from your computer drive where they also are.
I figured it out, thanks for your help guys. I also read the installation info in the download and that helped.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #6,655 of 8,320
I figured it out, thanks for your help guys. I also read the installation info in the download and that helped.

Excellent. So the folder containing the external tunings is also in the downloaded firmware ZIP archive, as well as in the CFW folder, in the internal storage.

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #6,656 of 8,320
When downloading the software, does it need to go in a specific directory on PC drive? Like C/Downloads/Walkman? Or it doesn’t matter? Is there an installation guide for dummies or video anywhere?

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #6,657 of 8,320
When downloading the software, does it need to go in a specific directory on PC drive? Like C/Downloads/Walkman? Or it doesn’t matter? Is there an installation guide for dummies or video anywhere?

You just download the archive, unzip it, and then you will find a text file with instructions. You don't have to put the unzipped files in a special folder or anything.

This is the contents of the text file with the instructions:
Code:
#
# Instructions regarding the installation and reverting to stock procedures
#

## First, a little extra info!

- The additional settings file can be found in the internal memory of your player,
in a folder named "CFW". To access the internal memory of your player, connect the
player to your computer using the USB cable, and make sure that the Mass Storage mode
on your player is enabled.
- The boot log file can be found in the same folder.

## Installation:

1. Connect the player to your computer using the USB cable, and make sure that
the Mass Storage mode is enabled;
2. Run "Walkman_One_WM1_(19_09).exe" from the "Installation" folder, and follow the on-screen instructions;

- The player should restart into the update mode, and the update bar on the player's
screen should fill up to the end before the player restarts again.
- If the update bar on the player's screen does not reach the end, make sure that
you are on the stock firmware before trying to install this! Check if you have
another custom firmware already installed in the Unit Information menu in the
player's menu.
- When first starting up after installing the firmware, your player will reboot once,
automatically, during the boot animation. This is normal.

3. Proceed to install the WM1Z external tuning (located in the same "Installation" folder), or choose
another sound signature in the settings file, restart the player, and then install the corresponding tuning.

- To confirm that a tuning was successfully applied, you can check the boot log file
or the Unit Information menu on your player - if the tuning would not be installed,
you would see a message in this menu, saying "External tuning not applied!".

## Reverting to the stock firmware

1. Connect the player to your computer with the USB cable, and enable the Mass Storage mode
on your player;
2. Run the "1_StockRevert_Walkman_One_WM1.exe" installer from the StockRevert folder;

- The device should restart into the update mode, and the update bar on the player's screen
should fill up to the end.
- To confirm that the StockRevert package ran successully, you can check the Unit Information
menu on your player - you should no longer see "Firmware mod by MrWalkman".
- If you still had the "CFW" folder in the internal storage before running the StockRevert
package, along with the "boot_log.txt" file in it, you will see additional info related to the
reverting process in the log file.
- After successfully running the StockRevert package, you can delete or keep the "CFW" folder,
it's your choice.

3. Run the "2_NW-WM1_V3.02.exe" installer located in the same "StockRevert" folder;

- If the StockRevert package was successfully applied at step 2, then the player should again
restart into the update mode, and the update bar on the player's screen should fill up to the end.

# If everything worked out as instructed above, you're now on the stock firmware. You can install
another custom firmware, or any other official firmware updates.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #6,658 of 8,320
D77E7A27-304B-45B3-9AF0-A850C311D046.jpeg

John Coltrane sounds absolutely amazing with the WM1A and this set up. I’m in audio nirvana now.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #6,660 of 8,320
John Coltrane sounds absolutely amazing with the WM1A and this set up. I’m in audio nirvana now.
@aceedburn Hi, aceeburn. May you share with me how you connect WM1A to your FiiO K5 Pro? I want to buy an amp to drive my Sennheiser HD650 but many people say that coonecting an digital amp to WM1A will end up double amping. I attached the rear part of FiiO so that it can facilitate your explanation. Look forward to your info.

Attachments

• Fiio-K5-pro_2-1536x864.jpg
    Fiio-K5-pro_2-1536x864.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back