Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #6,631 of 8,320
I think many waited for this moment but with these new models with Android, they are going to be a huge disappointment for many people. I will stick too with my little, handy, and worth A55 with Walkman Plus One in it. Sounds incredible good!!!
How is it a dissapointment? The only reason people are against android is battery life, but these have better battery than any DAP on the market.

Plus they can now stream. Speak for yourself, I think this is the best portable audio solution ever most likely.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #6,632 of 8,320
Android has many issues, starting from ideological (google) to bloat (which also affects performance, battery life, etc)

Putting a bigger battery (and thus making a whale of a DAP) is not a solution but an admission of failure on the OS side.

Stream - you can stream on Linux based DAPs and have been able to do so for years. Offline Tidal is no-no, but that’s an oxymoron - offline streaming :)

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #6,633 of 8,320
Android has many issues, starting from ideological (google) to bloat (which also affects performance, battery life, etc)

Putting a bigger battery (and thus making a whale of a DAP) is not a solution but an admission of failure on the OS side.

Stream - you can stream on Linux based DAPs and have been able to do so for years. Offline Tidal is no-no, but that’s an oxymoron - offline streaming :)

It would've been nice to have the option to boot into the Walkman OS instead of Android, like Ibasso has, for example.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #6,636 of 8,320
As there are a lot of people who don't like android I wonder if things had been the other way around ie. the original 1A/1Z were the larger streaming daps and the new ones were (marketed and hyped as) audiophile purist non-android Sony OS with a slightly smaller profile, how well they would be received.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,637 of 8,320
I wonder if things had been the other way around ie. the original 1A/1Z were the larger streaming daps and the new ones were (marketed and hyped as) audiophile purist non-android Sony OS with a slightly smaller profile, how well they would be received.

If people who appreciate the Walkman OS now wouldn't have experienced it first, maybe they would not be able to realize what they lost.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #6,638 of 8,320
How is it a dissapointment? The only reason people are against android is battery life, but these have better battery than any DAP on the market.

Plus they can now stream. Speak for yourself, I think this is the best portable audio solution ever most likely.
OK I am sure it is very good in sound but with longer battery time it's become heavier and bigger. Who wants to take with him a heavy brick in the pocket. And....at that price. You can be robbed, right?

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #6,640 of 8,320
After 1.5 years with some other DAPs and DAC/AMPs i bought an WM1A again and want to thank you @MrWalkman for your efforts in this awesome project :)

Unfortunately to many options are not for me i guess because i can't decide wether to chose the WM1Z or the Neutral sound signature and it drives me crazy :sweat_smile:

At the moment i am on: Neutral, MX3, Normal mode, DAC 0 but WM1Z, MX3, Plus v2, DAC 0 sounds also very very nice :ksc75smile:

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #6,641 of 8,320
I hope that Sony don't discontinue the non-Android line but
After 1.5 years with some other DAPs and DAC/AMPs i bought an WM1A again and want to thank you @MrWalkman for your efforts in this awesome project :)

Unfortunately to many options are not for me i guess because i can't decide wether to chose the WM1Z or the Neutral sound signature and it drives me crazy :sweat_smile:

At the moment i am on: Neutral, MX3, Normal mode, DAC 0 but WM1Z, MX3, Plus v2, DAC 0 sounds also very very nice :ksc75smile:
Yay! What were the main reasons? Have you felt like home yet?

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #6,642 of 8,320

I’m sure they will discontinue the old models when current stock has been sold

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #6,643 of 8,320

The Sony and Lotoo DAPs where the best DAPs i've ever had. I searched for a WM1Z a very long time but i couldn't find a good one here in Europe. So i went for a used WM1A (500€) and it feels a bit like coming home :sweat_smile:

I hope i can find a WM1Z when a lot of people want to upgrade to the WM1ZM2 🙃

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #6,644 of 8,320
I’m sure they will discontinue the old models when current stock has been sold
I still love the Walkman OS very much but yes they will go away eventually. Guess all I can do is to try my best preserving my walkmans then.

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #6,645 of 8,320
I bought a used WM1A and it has a mod installed already, Dawn (Classic). Which stock firmware do I choose to revert back to stock so I can install the newest FW? Any help would be appreciated.

Would it be the official Sony FW one at the top of the list. I also see there is a Midnight Dawn revert also. Just want to make sure I install the right revert.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back