Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #5,056 of 8,232
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #5,057 of 8,232
Thanks for the Chameleon 2 FW @aceedburn !

If I have FEv2 running atm, what is the best way to try Chameleon 2? Do I stock revert back to stock and then install Chameleon?
If I want to put back FEv2 (its my favourite fw) how do I stock revert from Chameleon (there is only one .exe file there, without a stock revert file)?

Thanks in advance! The sound of the Sony WM1 players is so smooth and addicting, there is still nothing like it if you like that kind of sound. The various custom fws make it all even better and we can have so many possibilities for free with just one DAP, thats awesome and highly underrated! Mrwalkman is a good man :)

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #5,058 of 8,232

If I have FEv2 running atm, what is the best way to try Chameleon 2? Do I stock revert back to stock and then install Chameleon?
If I want to put back FEv2 (its my favourite fw) how do I stock revert from Chameleon (there is only one .exe file there, without a stock revert file)?

Thanks in advance! The sound of the Sony WM1 players is so smooth and addicting, there is still nothing like it if you like that kind of sound. The various custom fws make it all even better and we can have so many possibilities for free with just one DAP, thats awesome and highly underrated! Mrwalkman is a good man :)
As I recall Chameleon is one of the early fw that don’t require roll back though I never tried it

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #5,059 of 8,232

Yes, you need to use the stock revert every time you want to use a new custom firmware. After installing Chameleon 2.0, you can switch the models directly from the player. I have added the stock revert file for chameleon 2.0 in the new link below. The new link contains the Chameleon 2.0 and the stock revert file. The earlier link has been disabled. Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ib7ujL2ZFLr1PydxBN6_wytCaEzJHXo3?usp=sharing

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,060 of 8,232
Yes, you need to use the stock revert every time you want to use a new custom firmware. After installing Chameleon 2.0, you can switch the models directly from the player. I have added the stock revert file for chameleon 2.0 in the new link below. The new link contains the Chameleon 2.0 and the stock revert file. The earlier link has been disabled. Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ib7ujL2ZFLr1PydxBN6_wytCaEzJHXo3?usp=sharing
Thanks a lot @aceedburn !

So now I can install Chameleon 2.0, then if I am not a fan, I can stock revert back to full stock with the corresponding "BackToStock 3.02" file found on your page .....and then I could reinstall FEv2 again like always, right? Sorry for the noob questions :sweat_smile:

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #5,061 of 8,232

So now I can install Chameleon 2.0, then if I am not a fan, I can stock revert back to full stock with the corresponding "BackToStock 3.02" file found on your page .....and then I could reinstall FEv2 again like always, right? Sorry for the noob questions :sweat_smile:
Yes

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #5,062 of 8,232

Thanks for the update

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #5,063 of 8,232

Yeah. Enjoy!

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,064 of 8,232
Well if all goes well here in about 3 weeks ill be able to drop a few hundred on a decent set of IEMS that have a more balanced sound than my current.

In which the Moondrop KXXS I've been looking at seem to check all the boxes and look like quite an IEM but what gets me is i dont know how they compare along side others.

Also based on reviews there seem to be noticeable variations between products almost like their manufacturing isnt very consistent on the sound signature, some say theres wide variations. I dont know if this is how they are running them or if this really is a issue. Nonetheless it is kinda scaring me out of the idea.

Say i do follow though and get these (assuming i dont find a more intriguing IEM) i know the cable on them are replaceable but changing the cables really affect the sound?

I have a budget of up to around $250

Im up to other recommendations to take a look at for anybody that suggests, last thing i want is to make another wrong move and be out that money on something i don't like because it doesn't sound good.

Coming from what i used to think sounded good, dumb me has done it more than once. Then i actually got my hands on a Walkman and some good audio files and suddenly my needs for an IEMs signature changed.

Attachments

• Comparison.PNG.png
    Comparison.PNG.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #5,065 of 8,232
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #5,066 of 8,232
Yeah. Enjoy!
Hi sir sorry just want to clarify this to be sure too, i have installed chameleon 2.0 on my wm1a now… but did i read correctly when i backread, that i should switch it in the settings portion then reinstall chameleon 2.0 again? If yes, any way to find out if its on “1Z” sound already or still on the basic chameleon 2.0 firmware? Thanks and apologies in advance for the basic questions… i already backread but just want to be sure as there might be an updated instructions many thanks

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #5,067 of 8,232
Hi sir sorry just want to clarify this to be sure too, i have installed chameleon 2.0 on my wm1a now… but did i read correctly when i backread, that i should switch it in the settings portion then reinstall chameleon 2.0 again? If yes, any way to find out if its on “1Z” sound already or still on the basic chameleon 2.0 firmware? Thanks and apologies in advance for the basic questions… i already backread but just want to be sure as there might be an updated instructions many thanks
Hey. Every time you switch the model from within the player in Chameleon, you are required to install the firmware again to fully enjoy the appropriate tuning for your selected device change. The device will show in the unit information each time you switch it. So it will show either WM1A or WM1Z so you always know which model you’re on. Hope it’s clear and feel free to ask as many questions as you want. Always willing to help.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5,068 of 8,232

Hey. Every time you switch the model from within the player in Chameleon, you are required to install the firmware again to fully enjoy the appropriate tuning for your selected device change. The device will show in the unit information each time you switch it. So it will show either WM1A or WM1Z so you always know which model you’re on. Hope it’s clear and feel free to ask as many questions as you want. Always willing to help.
Correct (@aceedburn) You can also mix and match the custom firmware & tuning profiles with Chameleon which is one of it's lesser known points i.e.
  • WM1A FW & WM1A Tuning
  • WM1A FW & WM1Z Tuning
  • WM1Z FW & WM1Z Tuning
  • WM1Z FW & WM1A Tuning
This allows greater level granularity for the listener, especially when combined with regional change :)

Q-6

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #5,069 of 8,232
What would be the best firmware (if anyone knows) for EE Phantoms via 4.4? I like fun sound, but love detail and soundstage too. Used to have 1a years ago and thinking of picking up again. Other iem’s I use are Massdrop EE Zeus XIV , Kumitate Lab Trio, ie800.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,070 of 8,232
Hi

I want to install Project Z, I'm using debian10, the player is A45. Is there a step by step guide somewhere?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back