Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #4,351 of 8,232
I just read article about Sony 360 Reality Audio latest speaker SRS-RA3000 and SRS-RA5000. It sounds suspiciously similar to what we hear on 1A/1Z 😂. It’s available for preorder on Amazon for $300 and $700. If it sounds even remotely close to what we hear on 1A/1Z, this maybe an incredibly good value speaker. People were talking about great review on its 3D sound quality

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #4,352 of 8,232
I just read article about Sony 360 Reality Audio latest speaker SRS-RA3000 and SRS-RA5000. It sounds suspiciously similar to what we hear on 1A/1Z 😂. It’s available for preorder on Amazon for $300 and $700. If it sounds even remotely close to what we hear on 1A/1Z, this maybe an incredibly good value speaker. People were talking about great review on its 3D sound quality
360 audio in Tidal with WF-1000XM3 on my iPhone sounds destinctly wierd

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #4,353 of 8,232
360 audio in Tidal with WF-1000XM3 on my iPhone sounds destinctly wierd
Absolutely agree. Almost unlistenable to me on the XM3. Tried on various 360 audio albums that tidal had and none sounded even remotely nice.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,354 of 8,232
Another newbie question, how and why is the region suppose to affect the sound? Beside removing the volume limit. I already have high gain output available. Didn't yet check which region is set.
And secondary question, is the output from dac and bluetooth modes affected by the custom firmware?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,355 of 8,232
Another newbie question, how and why is the region suppose to affect the sound? Beside removing the volume limit. I already have high gain output available. Didn't yet check which region is set.
And secondary question, is the output from dac and bluetooth modes affected by the custom firmware?
Each region has a slightly different tuning. The sound changes from the modded fw only affects the 3.5 and 4.4 output so not with bt headphones or when using the digital out to another dac

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #4,357 of 8,232
Any idea when the definitive Midnight FW will be available ? I have the distinct impression that things at present, are difficult for Mr.Walkman.Simply a gentle, cursory ,enquiry. Thanks!
It will come when ready or maybe never

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #4,358 of 8,232
Any idea when the definitive Midnight FW will be available ? I have the distinct impression that things at present, are difficult for Mr.Walkman.Simply a gentle, cursory ,enquiry. Thanks!
I have tested probably hundreds of firmware iterations from @MrWalkman over a period of about 1 year and one thing I’ve learned during this process is, there is no absolute! Just when i think I’ve heard the best, another new test pops up in my inbox and that blows me away and it goes on and on and on with every new test version. So, to answer your question, there will never be a definitive version of Midnight but there is a new version which I’ve been testing for almost a month now that’s a vast improvement over the officially released version of Midnight. I don’t know when it will be officially released but let me tell you, its worth waiting for. It’s absolutely stunning and I honestly can’t find a flaw with it.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #4,359 of 8,232
I have tested probably hundreds of firmware iterations from @MrWalkman over a period of about 1 year and one thing I’ve learned during this process is, there is no absolute! Just when i think I’ve heard the best, another new test pops up in my inbox and that blows me away and it goes on and on and on with every new test version. So, to answer your question, there will never be a definitive version of Midnight but there is a new version which I’ve been testing for almost a month now that’s a vast improvement over the officially released version of Midnight. I don’t know when it will be officially released but let me tell you, its worth waiting for. It’s absolutely stunning and I honestly can’t find a flaw with it.
Is any update to Dawn planned?

Q-6

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #4,360 of 8,232
I do have to agree - I said a few pages back about trying out some of my other IEMs, my interest was piqued after seeing a comparison between the MDR-EX1000 and the IER-Z1R that did not say that the Z1R was a clear cut successor, anyway - as many of my posts will allude to, I bought the EX1000 back in the day as it was the best that Sony made, but could never fully enjoy them, too many issues with thin / harsh sound etc.

Anyway the point of my diatribe, the test iteration we both have does wonders for the EX1000, for the first time since owning the FiiO FH7, and on a head to head, I hear the Sonys sounding better, and there have been no end of firmwares that I have tried the EX1000 on (way back to the planets), and none have done them justice up until now.

This version of the firmware takes the EX1000 from playing like an adolescent teenager to someone owning their first house, much more mature.

Q-6
I can't speak for @aceedburn or any other testers there may be out there - however, as I had such a positive impression of the Midnight fws, I was offered the opportunity to test the Midnight version only.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #4,361 of 8,232
Each region has a slightly different tuning. The sound changes from the modded fw only affects the 3.5 and 4.4 output so not with bt headphones or when using the digital out to another dac
So it affects the sound when dac mode or bluetooth receiver are on and the player is used to output sound to own 3.5 and 4.4mm.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #4,362 of 8,232

Q-6
I remember speaking to @MrWalkman around the time this test was sent to me and if I recall well, a few other variations were possible with this test but I don’t know for sure if it was ever applied to to the FE/Dawn firmware series. And besides this was designed specifically for Midnight as an overall refinement and polishing of the edges but it turned out to be much more than that really. As @Duncan has talked about how it changed the sound for his EX1000, for me it just sounds better all around. In fact IMHO I prefer it to any other firmware, including Dawn.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,363 of 8,232
So it affects the sound when dac mode or bluetooth receiver are on and the player is used to output sound to own 3.5 and 4.4mm.
Yes or playing local files but not for BT output or for feeding an external dac

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,364 of 8,232
That's exciting to hear news about an upcoming version of Midnight! I initially liked Dawn, but Midnight has grown on me. I've been using Midnight for almost two weeks and I don't think I will switch back to Dawn. To me, Midnight has a smoothness and expansive soundstage that is very pleasing to my ear. It can reveal plenty of details in the music, but they don't jump out at me. I can let the music fade into the background (e.g., a relaxing music session at night), or choose to focus on and listen to the details.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #4,365 of 8,232
I can confirm, Midnight V2 Test fw trounced current Midnight fw. No comparison. Still listening, but will report soon. It will completely flip your understanding. Unbelievable!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back