Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 26, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,382 of 8,223
If you have iem that can present great depth for example ASG 2.5; I was listening via LimeEar Aether, an iem that has decent depth. You’ll greatly experience this 3D atmosphere I’m talking about. I suspect IER-Z1R will sounds extremely sublime with this FE, since I think it has great depth. I think it also works very well with closed iem, those that don’t have air vents, something about the bass. Even via car speakers, sounds really really really good, almost as good as listening from iem setup based on current Midnight fw. The closed car enclosure, excellent reverbs and echoes, with huge soundstage. Soundstage expands when I increase the volume, so instead of getting louder, its spherical soundstage expands, becomes bigger, bottom deeper, ceiling higher. Dialed bass +2 in my car speakers, listening for 2 hours drive, no smear up, nothing. Great great bass authority. Wow!

This fw literally worth its weight in actual gold!
Yup, this was my point with the EX1000 - love them or hate them, they are generally considered to have some of the best bass texturing / definition of any DD IEM and this iteration most definitely shows that at much nearer its full potential than previous versions.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,383 of 8,223
Yup, this was my point with the EX1000 - love them or hate them, they are generally considered to have some of the best bass texturing / definition of any DD IEM and this iteration most definitely shows that at much nearer its full potential than previous versions.
I have EX1000 and I hate them to this day, so thin and shrill. I don’t get why it’s praised by so many, that’s the reason I bought them in first place, the praises. Maybe I need to retry them on the Midnight v2 test fw

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,384 of 8,223
I have EX1000 and I hate them to this day, so thin and shrill. I don’t get why it’s praised by so many, that’s the reason I bought them in first place, the praises. Maybe I need to retry them on the Midnight v2 test fw
Haha, yes - I say this whenever I mention them, if you look back through my posts, I've said exactly the same as you - tips were the main thing for me (RHA large tips or the golf ball Comply - with deep insertion), but - this fw makes them great - a little lean compared to some more V or U tuned IEMs, but PRaT galore, spacious as anything I've heard, and - the aforementioned bass :)

Try Shake your body (down to the ground) by the Jacksons, the positioning is phenomenal.

It might go against the grain also, but - if you get a deep fit, try this EQ:

screenshot_20210323_173827975.png

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #4,385 of 8,223
Haha, yes - I say this whenever I mention them, if you look back through my posts, I've said exactly the same as you - tips were the main thing for me (RHA large tips or the golf ball Comply - with deep insertion), but - this fw makes them great - a little lean compared to some more V or U tuned IEMs, but PRaT galore, spacious as anything I've heard, and - the aforementioned bass :)

Try Shake your body (down to the ground) by the Jacksons, the positioning is phenomenal.

It might go against the grain also, but - if you get a deep fit, try this EQ:

I’m listening to EX1000 with Sony 4.4mm cable and Sedna tips. Bass sounds really awesome, it bounces back, if you know what I mean. Energetic, so much energy. Fast. Sounds ethereal. Has weight notes. Still heard the famous sssssss... hahahaha. I had to lower treble to -2. Man, the treble like is a sonic assault on your ears. This may take a while, but it’s starting to grow on me. A little negative, it seems not to expound complex passages very well, where there a lot of things going on. Maybe it’s more sensitive and due to lower format? I’m using 320 MP3 format

On another note, go get Sony MUC-M12SB1 4.4mm mmcx cable. I very highly recommend this Sony cable. Strength: extremely 3D, good note weight, great bass, very musical and macro cohesive, emotional, warm, very good reverbs and echoes, very comfortable to wear. Bad: Mucky, smaller soundstage, sounds extremely thick, micro not great, mmcx connectors can be problematic.

But, but all it’s music disadvantages are removed by Mr Walkman fws, especially the last 2-3 iterations, and the Midnight v2 test sounds best. Sounds extremely good if you want realism in your music. Or if your iem sounds thin. There’s connectors available for EX1000 in Ebay. I think everyone who use Sony DAP especially 1A/1Z should at least consider getting this cable. It’s not expensive, there’s truly magic between Sony’s own peripherals. I’ll be honest, musically I like this Sony cable best, far better than my 4 core PW1960s cable. Probably due to my music taste, as I like great note weight, bass and realism

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #4,386 of 8,223
I’m listening to EX1000 with Sony 4.4mm cable and Sedna tips. Bass sounds really awesome, it bounces back, if you know what I mean. Energetic. Sounds ethereal. Has weight notes. Still heard the famous sssssss... hahahaha. I had to lower treble to -2. Man, the treble like a sonic assault on your ears. This may take a while, but it’s starting to grow on me. A little negative, it seems not to expound complex passages very well, where there a lot of things going on. Maybe it’s more sensitive and due to lower format? I’m using 320 MP3 format
This may sound counterintuitive but try the EX1000 without its filters. I liked the EX1000 without the filters more vs stock, sibilance doesnt change much but the midrange sounds better filterless imo.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #4,387 of 8,223
This may sound counterintuitive but try the EX1000 without its filters. I liked the EX1000 without the filters more vs stock, sibilance doesnt change much but the midrange sounds better filterless imo.
Actually if I remember correctly, EX1000 by itself didn’t have great bass right? I remember it was shrill like a banshee, anemic bass, thin, weightless. But that’s memory from 2 years ago Lol

It’s weird because now I’m listening, wow, EX1000 bouncy bass sounds so awesome with Midnight v2 test version

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #4,388 of 8,223
Actually if I remember correctly, EX1000 by itself didn’t have great bass right? I remember it was shrill like a banshee, anemic bass, thin, weightless. But that’s memory from 2 years ago Lol

It’s weird because now I’m listening, wow, EX1000 bouncy bass sounds so awesome with Midnight v2 test version
I don’t know if you’re listening without EQ, if you are, try the one I posted, even if only for a few moments, the texturing and definition is out there, makes the FH7 bass sound slow and wallowy - sounds better than my JH Layla too, I swear!

FWIW, Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want? - I think this album was made to showcase what the elderly EX1000 can bring to the table, with a LOT of help from this amazing fw!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,389 of 8,223
Yes the Sony MUC-M12SB1 is a very special cable, it's underrated and a cable that really can make a difference.
I use it on a Sony z5 with a wm1z and this Sony combination is really incredible. I also have the ex1000, now I have to try it again after ignoring it for some years, but first I have to get those adapters for the connectors

Is there a possibility to get the test version of the new fw, for the unpatient?:sweat_smile:

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #4,390 of 8,223
Think I'm going to revert back from DMP-A50R FE back to A50Z. on my A55, I really cannot find the balance between any firmware.
While A50R was discontinued a while back some of the extra settings really did help make the sound clearer. I loved the punchy impactful low end, the crisp highs, the High-Gain output, the more precise EQ (0.5db instead of 1db), and honestly the visualizer was a nice touch although that doesn't impact sound. But the one thing it lacks is the soundstage, it feels relatively narrow. and that is what A50Z does really well on.

Sure it means losing just about every plus out there not as crisp highs, punchy impactful low end, and all of those other features but damn. Soundstage is a big thing to not have. It's a must for me.

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #4,391 of 8,223
Think I'm going to revert back from DMP-A50R FE back to A50Z. on my A55, I really cannot find the balance between any firmware.

I'm a horse with a different colour :) All the good stuff you list in favour of the A50R FE is just the reason I went back to it after trying the other options.

Of the functions I lost in the process (radio, voice recording) I only miss the WM-port out. The rest was just fluff for me, so good riddance.

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #4,394 of 8,223
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,395 of 8,223
Hehe. Sold my zx300 off too. 3 days after getting my 1A. Sold it for almost the same price I got it for back then too.

Yeah I thought I might still use it but hasn't turned out to be... I use the ZX507 for more portable use. Hard to part with but doesn't make sense sitting on a shelf. It served me well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back