Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #392 of 8,232
I am a relatively new owner of a WM1A and am finally committing to use it for my main DAP. Is there a guide to understand what FW updates/changes are available and how they affect sound? Thanks for any help.

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #393 of 8,232
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #395 of 8,232
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #396 of 8,232
I don't think Google Drive has a download limit.

Thanks. This is the error I get

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #397 of 8,232
Thanks. This is the error I get

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

Hmm, ok, I didn't know about this.

I will upload it to another place as well, a bit later, as I'm not at the PC right now.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #400 of 8,232
When I A/B test the stock WM1Z (with DMP FW) vs WM1A (HW+FW mod), I feel I prefer the sound of the WM1A (!!).
Now the WM1Z sounds slightly congested and muddy in comparison.
Note that I mean strictly in comparison; the WM1Z (especially with DMP FW) is still going to be close/equal/superior to pretty much any DAP out there.

Also, the WM1A is now doing what my LPGT used to do; I've plugged in my very warm and smooth $500 Stealth Sonics U4 IEMs, and it's making them sound more like a $800+ IEM. It's making the Solaris 2020 sound better too, basically bringing new heights to all my IEMs :)

With regard to this bit above, I just want to add some clarification.
When reading this, I'm reminded that A/B testing two different sound signatures back to back is a good method to some extent, but needs to be balanced with longer sessions with each. If I switch from a relatively more neutral/reference IEM (iBasso IT04, for example) to a thick, warm and rich one (EE Phantom), the sudden and quite extreme change in tonality may make the second IEM sound a bit warm, thick, veiled, muddy; sometimes to the point where it almost makes one recoil.

However, equally, if I've spent hours/days on the Phantom, and switch back to the IT04 or another relatively neutral-reference IEM, it may sound thin, lifeless and non-musical.

In reality, neither of these perceptions accurately portray the true facts, and as such I just want to remind people that I was just A/B testing and posting subjective impressions on the fly :)
As a vaguely responsible Head-Fi member I want to balance those impressions by voicing the opinion that extended listening to the WM1Z will of course allow one to get used to the sound signature, and I believe any feeling of excessive warmth will dissipate :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #401 of 8,232
With regard to this bit above, I just want to add some clarification.
When reading this, I'm reminded that A/B testing two different sound signatures back to back is a good method to some extent, but needs to be balanced with longer sessions with each. If I switch from a relatively more neutral/reference IEM (iBasso IT04, for example) to a thick, warm and rich one (EE Phantom), the sudden and quite extreme change in tonality may make the second IEM sound a bit warm, thick, veiled, muddy; sometimes to the point where it almost makes one recoil.

However, equally, if I've spent hours/days on the Phantom, and switch back to the IT04 or another relatively neutral-reference IEM, it may sound thin, lifeless and non-musical.

In reality, neither of these perceptions accurately portray the true facts, and as such I just want to remind people that I was just A/B testing and posting subjective impressions on the fly :)
As a vaguely responsible Head-Fi member I want to balance those impressions by voicing the opinion that extended listening to the WM1Z will of course allow one to get used to the sound signature, and I believe any feeling of excessive warmth will dissipate :)
Never liked the warmer output on Sony DAPs myself (ie 4.4 on DMP-Z1 and WM1Z, 3.5 on WM1A). I always go for the other more neutral output (3.5 on DMP-Z1 and WM1Z, 4.4 on WM1A)

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #402 of 8,232
I think this is my end game :)
Been listening to the Modded 1A ALL DAY...... I mean allll day, and battery is still all bars full. .
and the SQ is just beyond my wildest expectations. I don't see the next Sony release beating this hardware/Firmware combo.
I am seriously considering buying a new 1A, and stashing it away before Sony stops production, just in case something happens to the one I have :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #403 of 8,232
Been listening to the Modded 1A ALL DAY...... I mean allll day, and battery is still all bars full.

Nice! While I know your comment is related to the battery mod, I also think that now it's even easier to listen to this sound over longer periods of time.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #405 of 8,232
Nice! While I know your comment is related to the battery mod, I also think that now it's even easier to listen to this sound over longer periods of time.
Your Firmware mod is beyond belief :) I am so thoroughly impressed it's not even funny.
You just gave us all a portable player that is being credibly compared to the DMP-Z1, that is insane. I know not many people have the Nayparm mod, and as far as I know no one else has the Flat Foil cable equipped player outside of the one I have, but when more people get to listen to this combo+firmware they'll understand where I am coming from.
You guys have been an absolute God Sent, in these tough times where things out there are getting nuttier and nuttier, I get to be lost in my music like never before.
what a gift this has been to the community, it just cannot be overstated :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back