Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 4, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #376 of 8,230
With DMP-A50R you will not have FM radio for example. DMP-A50R is not an upgrade, it's just another mod with some additional features, but some missing ones, while DMP-A50 is based on the stock firmware.

Just see how both work and decide which one you want to use.

Are you suggesting it's caused by the mod, or you're just sharing that with us?

I never had issues like that.
With DMP-A50R you will not have FM radio for example. DMP-A50R is not an upgrade, it's just another mod with some additional features, but some missing ones, while DMP-A50 is based on the stock firmware.

Just see how both work and decide which one you want to use.

Any chance you could post a comparison between the two mods? Seeing the differences side by side would make it easier to choose one. It seems both have pluses minuses for me so I would opt for the one that offers the best sound quality if this differs between mods.

Are you suggesting it's caused by the mod, or you're just sharing that with us?

I never had issues like that.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #377 of 8,230
You could just give them a try, your decision based on your experience should matter.

DMP-A50R shouldn't sound different than DMP-A50, so it's more about the features.

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #378 of 8,230
Oh wow, I hadn't realised there were two separate FW options for the A50! :)
I quite liked the idea of having a built-in FM radio (although no idea how well it performs normally?), so this is even better!

What's this 'Language Study' function anyone? What does it do/how does it work etc? :)

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #379 of 8,230
1) the UK version, I assume it would come with a volume cap?
Would installing the DMP software remove that?
Or is there a tool to change the region of the DAP, if that's what needs to be done?

2) Aside from all that, it would be great to hear anyone's impressions and comparisons of the A50 with other DAPs such as Hiby R3 Pro, DX160 (both of which I own)?
I've been looking for a good budget DAP to gift to family and friends, and now with this FW update, along with the typically huge Sony battery life and reliable UI, suddenly the A50 has grabbed my attention!
Even better if comparisons can be made once the A50 has the new DMP firmware installed :D

3) I've seen mention of the A55, but that's not listed on the Sony UK website; only the A50 and A40.
Also, the A50 and A40 are both priced at £180, so I'm wondering what the difference is between A55, A50 and A40?

Hey there. So, for the simpler questions: the region of the DAP can be changed with the NWDestTool. The difference between the A50 series and A40 series is a refreshed design of the side buttons and improved build (A4x is plastic, A5x has a metal frame). I bought my A55 for the equivalent of 140 GBP direct from Sony in my country so it's worth looking out for some sort of discount where you are.

Now for the comparisons:

I don't have either the Hiby R3 Pro or the DX160, both are a bit too rich for my blood :) But I can offer a comparison between the A55 and the Shanling Q1 and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. The A55 wipes the floor with the Q1 in terms of usability: UI performance is way better, touch response is far more precise, there are zero issues with library sorting, playlists just work, the hardware controls offer more resistance against accidental presses, I haven't had to even think about charging the A55 since it tends to fill itself right up while I'm transferring albums; basically everything works as it should. No matter how good a piece of gear sounds, if it's kinda janky to use then it really detracts from the experience.

Both the Shanling Q1 and Tempotec are sources that focus on maximising neutrality and resolution within their means (i.e. bill of materials). Neither of them really have a sound signature per se, unless "precise and accurate" is considered a signature. Comparing sources with the exact same IEMs, the A55 is warmer and smoother out of the box, as if the attack of each note is gently rounded off. The mod adds a little more weight to the low end while extending detail retrieval in the highs, so the overall effect is a more open, airy sound that does not lose the rich, analoguish tonality of the stock signature. There is a noticeable difference between the stock A55 and the modded A55, one that will make you question how is it that nothing about the A55's hardware has changed from before to after.

Sheer objectivists and theory crafters will bemoan the fact that the A55's 35mW of power output at 16 ohms is half that which the Q1 is capable of putting out. They will laugh at Sony's marketing mumbo jumbo about gold solder improving bass while criticising them for being coy about measures like THD and crosstalk. It doesn't do native DSD. There are no digital filters. There is no PEQ. There is no high gain mode. There is no line out mode unless you buy a special cable (looking at my options on Amazon JP as we speak). And the WMPort, while having given rise to an entire lineup of Walkman-specific accessories in Japan, isn't quite as appreciated in the rest of the world.

But I simply like listening to the A55. It sounds subjectively good, and as a result you stop worrying about whether you're listening to lossless, hi-res, DSD. It makes music natural, fun and enjoyable rather than clean and analytical, and as I discover my preferences in this hobby and realise that it's actually harder to build equipment that helps digital audio sound analogue than it is to make equipment that measures well, I think I picked up something quite special indeed.

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #380 of 8,230
There is no line out mode unless you buy a special cable (looking at my options on Amazon JP as we speak). And the WMPort, while having given rise to an entire lineup of Walkman-specific accessories in Japan

There’s almost all the ports you need and it works like a charm.

edit: it seems they cleared out other 4 cables they had with wmport, I have the usb a and usb c one I copied to you

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #382 of 8,230
I think @bflat Experienced the following issue: while playing flac album, two tracks had skipping (static-like) noise. I thought the flac were corrupted so I did a check on dbpower amp and Audi tester, none returned error but OK so what the hell? I also ran this test on the hard drives and found no error
I redownload the files from presto classical. Copied them again to hard drives and to walkman, the click /static noise persist, shall I update database ? @bflat

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #383 of 8,230
Hey there. So, for the simpler questions: the region of the DAP can be changed with the NWDestTool. The difference between the A50 series and A40 series is a refreshed design of the side buttons and improved build (A4x is plastic, A5x has a metal frame). I bought my A55 for the equivalent of 140 GBP direct from Sony in my country so it's worth looking out for some sort of discount where you are.

Now for the comparisons:

I don't have either the Hiby R3 Pro or the DX160, both are a bit too rich for my blood :) But I can offer a comparison between the A55 and the Shanling Q1 and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. The A55 wipes the floor with the Q1 in terms of usability: UI performance is way better, touch response is far more precise, there are zero issues with library sorting, playlists just work, the hardware controls offer more resistance against accidental presses, I haven't had to even think about charging the A55 since it tends to fill itself right up while I'm transferring albums; basically everything works as it should. No matter how good a piece of gear sounds, if it's kinda janky to use then it really detracts from the experience.

Both the Shanling Q1 and Tempotec are sources that focus on maximising neutrality and resolution within their means (i.e. bill of materials). Neither of them really have a sound signature per se, unless "precise and accurate" is considered a signature. Comparing sources with the exact same IEMs, the A55 is warmer and smoother out of the box, as if the attack of each note is gently rounded off. The mod adds a little more weight to the low end while extending detail retrieval in the highs, so the overall effect is a more open, airy sound that does not lose the rich, analoguish tonality of the stock signature. There is a noticeable difference between the stock A55 and the modded A55, one that will make you question how is it that nothing about the A55's hardware has changed from before to after.

Sheer objectivists and theory crafters will bemoan the fact that the A55's 35mW of power output at 16 ohms is half that which the Q1 is capable of putting out. They will laugh at Sony's marketing mumbo jumbo about gold solder improving bass while criticising them for being coy about measures like THD and crosstalk. It doesn't do native DSD. There are no digital filters. There is no PEQ. There is no high gain mode. There is no line out mode unless you buy a special cable (looking at my options on Amazon JP as we speak). And the WMPort, while having given rise to an entire lineup of Walkman-specific accessories in Japan, isn't quite as appreciated in the rest of the world.

But I simply like listening to the A55. It sounds subjectively good, and as a result you stop worrying about whether you're listening to lossless, hi-res, DSD. It makes music natural, fun and enjoyable rather than clean and analytical, and as I discover my preferences in this hobby and realise that it's actually harder to build equipment that helps digital audio sound analogue than it is to make equipment that measures well, I think I picked up something quite special indeed.
I'll be doing a comparison of the DMP-A30 vs my DX160 when the firmware drops. I have very high hopes as the DMP-Z1 is the best Dap I've ever heard.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #384 of 8,230
I redownload the files from presto classical. Copied them again to hard drives and to walkman, the click /static noise persist, shall I update database ? @bflat

In my case just deleting the affected file then copying the same file from the same original source usually fixed the problem. On a few occasions that didn’t work so I would convert the file to WAV then compress back to FLAC and then it would work.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #385 of 8,230
Ok, well, time for some WM1A/Z mod feedback :)

So, I own the stock WM1Z, now with the new DMP FW.
Also, courtesy of @Nayparm I now own the WM1A, hardware modded with his TOTL Audionote Kasei caps mod (including battery upgrade, wire upgrades etc). This DAP is also running the new DMP FW from @MrWalkman

Firstly, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to both of you (and @Whitigir and others for getting this whole train started!); because of your contributions, we've been able to take some already world-class DAPs and take them to even higher highs.

So, I've been A/B testing my FW-modded WM1Z vs my HW/FW-modded WM1A.

With the DMP FW, both players have a noticeable increase in soundstage size and holography, resolution and what seems overall like a slightly more 'reference' style sound signature to my ears.

Now, when I compared the old WM1A/Z++ FW on my WM1Z (and the 2.0 version on my WM1A) with the new DMP FW, I'm not sure if I'm hearing an increase in bass power.
I feel perhaps there's slightly less impact and rumble in the DMP FW, but the bass may tighter and more controlled.
It's very hard to A/B test this, since I can't really be bothered with installing FW's back and forth lol.
So take this bass comparison with a pinch of salt :)

Now, I had the Lotoo LPGT previously; I traded it for a WM1Z, and I have to say, I've been rather missing it of late.
It had, to my ears, a beautiful sound signature; on one hand it could be described as more neutral-reference (especially in comparison with the relatively more warm, organic and coloured signature of the WM1Z), but I also found it to be addictively musical still.

On top of that, the LPGT had a terrific technical performance, and a quite remarkable ability to take whatever IEMs I plugged in, and - especially on mid-range ones to the lower echelons of TOTL - making them sound like a tier above.

I never really found that with the WM1Z (or WM1A), and have been wondering whether I should try to trade one of them for the LPGT. I mean ultimately, especially with the mods applied, they're all terrific, TOTL DAPs with their own pro's and cons, so as ever this is more about personal preferences.

But with the HW and FW modded WM1A, I now feel I have something much more like the LPGT again, in terms of sound signature and technical performance.

When I A/B test the stock WM1Z (with DMP FW) vs WM1A (HW+FW mod), I feel I prefer the sound of the WM1A (!!).
Now the WM1Z sounds slightly congested and muddy in comparison.
Note that I mean strictly in comparison; the WM1Z (especially with DMP FW) is still going to be close/equal/superior to pretty much any DAP out there.

Also, the WM1A is now doing what my LPGT used to do; I've plugged in my very warm and smooth $500 Stealth Sonics U4 IEMs, and it's making them sound more like a $800+ IEM.

It's making the Solaris 2020 sound better too, basically bringing new heights to all my IEMs :)

The only thing I'm wondering now is, if I get my WM1Z the same hardware mods as the WM1A, is it going to sound significantly better or not?

If not, then I'll probably sell one of them.
I prefer the much lighter weight of the WM1A, but one of the main reasons I wanted the WM1Z in the first place was its gorgeous, understated gold appearance.
So in that case, if I modded it and it matched or exceeded the WM1A in performance, I suppose I ought to sell the modded WM1A.. Or keep both and save up money the old fashioned way for other IEMs I want...
Choices, choices... :sweat_smile:

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #386 of 8,230
In my case just deleting the affected file then copying the same file from the same original source usually fixed the problem. On a few occasions that didn’t work so I would convert the file to WAV then compress back to FLAC and then it would work.
Seems to be in the recording itself at least at very end of track

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #387 of 8,230

Also, courtesy of @Nayparm I now own the WM1A, hardware modded with his TOTL Audionote Kasei caps mod (including battery upgrade, wire upgrades etc). This DAP is also running the new DMP FW from @MrWalkman

Firstly, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to both of you (and @Whitigir and others for getting this whole train started!); because of your contributions, we've been able to take some already world-class DAPs and take them to even higher highs.

With the DMP FW, both players have a noticeable increase in soundstage size and holography, resolution and what seems overall like a slightly more 'reference' style sound signature to my ears.

Now, when I compared the old WM1A/Z++ FW on my WM1Z (and the 2.0 version on my WM1A) with the new DMP FW, I'm not sure if I'm hearing an increase in bass power.
I feel perhaps there's slightly less impact and rumble in the DMP FW, but the bass may tighter and more controlled.
It's very hard to A/B test this, since I can't really be bothered with installing FW's back and forth lol.

Now, I had the Lotoo LPGT previously; I traded it for a WM1Z, and I have to say, I've been rather missing it of late.
It had, to my ears, a beautiful sound signature; on one hand it could be described as more neutral-reference (especially in comparison with the relatively more warm, organic and coloured signature of the WM1Z), but I also found it to be addictively musical still.

On top of that, the LPGT had a terrific technical performance, and a quite remarkable ability to take whatever IEMs I plugged in, and - especially on mid-range ones to the lower echelons of TOTL - making them sound like a tier above.

I never really found that with the WM1Z (or WM1A), and have been wondering whether I should try to trade one of them for the LPGT. I mean ultimately, especially with the mods applied, they're all terrific, TOTL DAPs with their own pro's and cons, so as ever this is more about personal preferences.

But with the HW and FW modded WM1A, I now feel I have something much more like the LPGT again, in terms of sound signature and technical performance.

When I A/B test the stock WM1Z (with DMP FW) vs WM1A (HW+FW mod), I feel I prefer the sound of the WM1A (!!).
Note that I mean strictly in comparison; the WM1Z (especially with DMP FW) is still going to be close/equal/superior to pretty much any DAP out there.

Also, the WM1A is now doing what my LPGT used to do; I've plugged in my very warm and smooth $500 Stealth Sonics U4 IEMs, and it's making them sound more like a $800+ IEM.

It's making the Solaris 2020 sound better too, basically bringing new heights to all my IEMs :)

The only thing I'm wondering now is, if I get my WM1Z the same hardware mods as the WM1A, is it going to sound significantly better or not?

I prefer the much lighter weight of the WM1A, but one of the main reasons I wanted the WM1Z in the first place was its gorgeous, understated gold appearance.
So in that case, if I modded it and it matched or exceeded the WM1A in performance, I suppose I ought to sell the modded WM1A.. Or keep both and save up money the old fashioned way for other IEMs I want...
If you send in your 1z in, get the Flat Neotech cables instead of solid core ones. And be prepared for another jump in SQ :)
Glad you are liking your player, @Nayparm does some fantastic work.

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #388 of 8,230
If you send in your 1z in, get the Flat Neotech cables instead of solid core ones. And be prepared for another jump in SQ :)
Glad you are liking your player, @Nayparm does some fantastic work.
This would be a very good sound quality comparison between mod 1Z and 1A. Sounds very tempting haha

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #389 of 8,230

Woaaa Congrats ! @Nayparm definitely has the best mod out there bro ! You are in good hands!

About your concern if you should get 1z moded or keep moded 1a. I think keep moded 1a and trade 1z as your 1a has equal powers as a moded 1z cause all parts been replaced and cables has been improved. By my experience aluminum enclosures sound better then copper, they are more tight on bass and faster visceral kind of bass decay ;p

"""
So take this bass comparison with a pinch of salt :) """

For this part I 100% agree I also found the bass got more controlled, elaborated and elegant with dmp-wm1 on 1a. I think dmp-wm1 is the best fw we got to date for our 1a / 1z daps !

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #390 of 8,230
Woaaa Congrats ! @Nayparm definitely has the best mod out there bro ! You are in good hands!

About your concern if you should get 1z moded or keep moded 1a. I think keep moded 1a and trade 1z as your 1a has equal powers as a moded 1z cause all parts been replaced and cables has been improved. By my experience aluminum enclosures sound better then copper, they are more tight on bass and faster visceral kind of bass decay ;p

"""
So take this bass comparison with a pinch of salt :) """

For this part I 100% agree I also found the bass got more controlled, elaborated and elegant with dmp-wm1 on 1a. I think dmp-wm1 is the best fw we got to date for our 1a / 1z daps !
I tought copper was better than alu or SS because being more conductivo (in the Grounding point of view)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back