Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 4, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #361 of 8,230
Nice!

I noticed that with Direct Source on it sounds louder.

On not-the-best-side, even if I reset the settings, I sometimes still get the "An error has occurred" thing. It's not that much of a big deal, but I'll see if a full factory reset gets rid of it - but later.

Direct Source is interesting. I don't know whether I'm hallucinating a difference between having DS on versus having DS off but all DSP features disabled. I'll play with it more.

Also, in Media Go the A55 now reports itself as a ZX300. Funny :)

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #362 of 8,230
First time I get this warning.
All other files in the DMP-WM1_2020-10-04 zip file are OK.

Attachments

• Troyan.png
    Troyan.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #363 of 8,230
IMG_20201004_152314003.jpg

Now that's a Walkman :)
its that just image or dB setting?
Nice!

I noticed that with Direct Source on, it sounds louder.

On not-the-best-side, even if I reset the settings, I sometimes still get the "An error has occurred" thing. It's not that much of a big deal, but I'll see if a full factory reset gets rid of it - but later.
Direct Source on maybe its like ClearAudio+, but I don't know, I like that thing off

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #364 of 8,230
First time I get this warning.
All other files in the DMP-WM1_2020-10-04 zip file are OK.

It's the same Wacatac thing that was also being "detected" for some tuning mods.

I guess Windows Defender is really sensitive for an executable that contains another executable. I once sent a tuning mod to Microsoft. They said it's indeed not a virus, and recommended me to update the virus definitions or something, but for no effect.

Funnily, Kaspersky doesn't get it as a virus, for example. So nice try, Microsoft.

Direct Source on maybe its like ClearAudio+, but I don't know, I like that thing off

ClearAudio+ adds a lot of DSP and volume, while Direct Source doesn't work that way.

It is a VU meter. Those needles are moving.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #365 of 8,230

1. Not an image. It is an animated VU meter.
2. Direct source =! ClearAudio. One removes all DSP, the other lays on maximal consumer tuning.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #367 of 8,230
Is there a chance of the DSD-remastering engine been activated on the wm1a?

Not really sure. I don't think the feature like "exists" in the 1A/1Z firmware and it's not being activated or something.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #368 of 8,230
I remember I tried to port ClearAudio+, clear phase, bass, VPT, S-Force etc from VAIO Realtek drivers (circa 2013). ClearAudio is only actually useful for tiny speakers on Xperia or VAIO.
Then there was modding and work arounds for various Sony VAIO software (1996-1998, 2006-2009), as well as DSD Direct being used to create DSD256 files instead of DSD64 (2012). Android port of DSEE HX 2014/2018.
But by far, the most exciting and widely appreciated work has been on Walkman OS in 2020.
And it's interesting how Dolby, WAVES, and so on just aren't able to evoke the same amount of determination and satisfaction, at least from my view. That is despite modded 'Ultimate' Realtek drivers being in high demand in some forums.

HS Power Control in 1 mark 2 - is there any situation when it becomes possible for the Walkman battery not to be discharged while plugged in?

Aside from DSD, has A50 been supercharged with all the best that exists for Walkman OS?

What else exists for Walkman OS?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #369 of 8,230
IMG_20201004_152314003.jpg

Now that's a Walkman :)

Hi all,

I'd never really paid any attention to the lower-tier Sony players; just the WM1A/Z and the ZX300.

But I just popped over to the Sony UK website and had a look at the NW-A50.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a50-series
Just £180 in the UK!
I have a few questions, if anyone can answer any of them?

1) the UK version, I assume it would come with a volume cap?
Would installing the DMP software remove that?
Or is there a tool to change the region of the DAP, if that's what needs to be done?

2) Aside from all that, it would be great to hear anyone's impressions and comparisons of the A50 with other DAPs such as Hiby R3 Pro, DX160 (both of which I own)?
I've been looking for a good budget DAP to gift to family and friends, and now with this FW update, along with the typically huge Sony battery life and reliable UI, suddenly the A50 has grabbed my attention!
Even better if comparisons can be made once the A50 has the new DMP firmware installed :D

3) I've seen mention of the A55, but that's not listed on the Sony UK website; only the A50 and A40.
Also, the A50 and A40 are both priced at £180, so I'm wondering what the difference is between A55, A50 and A40?

Hope anyone can help, many thanks! :)

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #370 of 8,230
Hi all,

I'd never really paid any attention to the lower-tier Sony players; just the WM1A/Z and the ZX300.

But I just popped over to the Sony UK website and had a look at the NW-A50.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a50-series
Just £180 in the UK!
I have a few questions, if anyone can answer any of them?

1) the UK version, I assume it would come with a volume cap?
Would installing the DMP software remove that?
Or is there a tool to change the region of the DAP, if that's what needs to be done?

2) Aside from all that, it would be great to hear anyone's impressions and comparisons of the A50 with other DAPs such as Hiby R3 Pro, DX160 (both of which I own)?
I've been looking for a good budget DAP to gift to family and friends, and now with this FW update, along with the typically huge Sony battery life and reliable UI, suddenly the A50 has grabbed my attention!
Even better if comparisons can be made once the A50 has the new DMP firmware installed :D

3) I've seen mention of the A55, but that's not listed on the Sony UK website; only the A50 and A40.
Also, the A50 and A40 are both priced at £180, so I'm wondering what the difference is between A55, A50 and A40?

Hope anyone can help, many thanks! :)

Changing the region will remove the volume limit.

Also, they're calling the series A50. So there is A55 (16GB), A56 (32GB), and A57 (64 GB), and they are all part of the NW-A50 Series.

I was also thinking that an A45 or even better, an A55, can be a great gift - especially more with the DMP-A50 mod. The mod really increases its value.

I'll let other describe how it sounds like.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #371 of 8,230
Changing the region will remove the volume limit.

Also, they're calling the series A50. So there is A55 (16GB), A56 (32GB), and A57 (64 GB), and they are all part of the NW-A50 Series.

I was also thinking that an A45 or even better, an A55, can be a great gift - especially more with the DMP-A50 mod. The mod really increases its value.

I'll let other describe how it sounds like.

Ah, I guessed it might be something like that (A50 being the overall series name).
Thanks for clarifying (and in advance of any future purchase, for the great new FW too!) :)

I have to say, I love the Sony design aesthetic, I feel I can trust the robustness and reliability of the UI and hardware and I personally don't like Android, so for all these reasons, the A55 looks like a terrific budget DAP!

And then on top of all that, you have the huge battery life, no issues with the unit getting hot, good balance between decent screen size and small body and weight (99g!).. and now the DMP FW.. it's just got 'WIN' written all over it :D

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #372 of 8,230
DMP-A50R

Features:
- sound signature resembling the one of the DMP-Z1, with awesome bass response and amazing soundstage holography and extension
- 10 band equalizer
- DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes (Type A and B, each one with a LOW, STANDARD and HIGH variation)
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes (Standard, Arm Resonance, Turntable Resonance, Surface Noise)
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

Missing features in comparison with stock A50:
- FM Radio
- VPT Surround
- Language Study
- Noise cancelling
- NFC (not working)

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A50R, and then close the installer
2. After that, install DMP-A50R_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert (DMP-A50R), and then close the installer
2. After that, install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player

With both the firmware and the Ext. Tuning, the player should restart, so there should be two restarts of the player. Same goes for the reverting process.

Good to know:
• If you used one of the visualization on the DMP-A50R firmware, after you'll return to the stock firmware, the play screen can be missing. This is because the stock firmware does not have visualizations. So either change the visualization to "Standard" before using the StockRevert package, or use the "Reset All Settings" option from the menu to bring the play screen back after using the StockRevert package.

• If you'll get an error, showing the text "An error has occurred", restart the player. If the error doesn't go away, use the "Restore All Settings" option, and the error will go away.

• DSEE AI is the same DSEE HX that is present in the A50 stock firmware. DSEE HX from the stock firmware is actually the same as the DSEE HX on the DMP-Z1, and it uses a form of AI. Sony mentions that on the A55 and DMP-Z1 product pages.

• DSD playback while Direct Source is on, will result in no sound being played back.

• You can't just switch between DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R. If you have one installed, you'll have to use their respective StockRevert package first, and then you'll be able to install the other.

The firmware is available for downloading, here.

A40/A30 will be next, after I'll get some good sleep.

Wait you removed Language Study how will I learn to speak Russian comrade. :yum:

Okey so I have downloaded both firmware versions, I guess I should delete the DMP-A50 version, Is there any benefit to using the DMP-A50 over the 50R? Are you planning anymore mods for the A50 series?

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #373 of 8,230
Oct 4, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #374 of 8,230
I think @bflat Experienced the following issue: while playing flac album, two tracks had skipping (static-like) noise. I thought the flac were corrupted so I did a check on dbpower amp and Audi tester, none returned error but OK so what the hell? I also ran this test on the hard drives and found no error

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #375 of 8,230
Okey so I have downloaded both firmware versions, I guess I should delete the DMP-A50 version, Is there any benefit to using the DMP-A50 over the 50R? Are you planning anymore mods for the A50 series?

With DMP-A50R you will not have FM radio for example. DMP-A50R is not an upgrade, it's just another mod with some additional features, but some missing ones, while DMP-A50 is based on the stock firmware.

Just see how both work and decide which one you want to use.

I think @bflat Experienced the following issue: while playing flac album, two tracks had skipping (static-like) noise. I thought the flac were corrupted so I did a on dbpower amp and Audi tester, none returned error but OK so what the hell? I also ran this test on the hard drives and found no error

Are you suggesting it's caused by the mod, or you're just sharing that with us?

I never had issues like that. Does those FLACs sound like that only on one device?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• DNVN
Back