Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,176 of 8,227
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,178 of 8,227
I was going to buy a nw-a105 but don't know if worth it when I have a nw-a45 with Mr walkman modd? Thinking of the sound quality and volume cap when buying one in Europe. It's not possible to fix that, or is it?

I think the 105 is Android so you can’t remove the cap

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #2,179 of 8,227
I was going to buy a nw-a105 but don't know if worth it when I have a nw-a45 with Mr walkman modd? Thinking of the sound quality and volume cap when buying one in Europe. It's not possible to fix that, or is it?
Android no, you cannot remove cap
Sony walkman OS yes, you can get rid of the cap

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,180 of 8,227
I can only speak of my personal experience with Sony European models. I first bought the nwa-55L. I was happy with it, happier with the volume uncapped and happier still with MrWalkman’s firmware. I bought the A105 and returned it. No problem with iems or Bluetooth but with headphones volume was too low. I have for example the Sennheiser HD599 a relatively easy to drive headphone, 50 ohms impedance. I could compare the capped ( there is no know way) 105 and the uncapped 55 and it was night and day. it was a complete deal breaker for me, so I returned the 105. If you are going to use only easy to drive iems and Bluetooth then you are probably fine. Battery life could be better but the 105 is very nice otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,183 of 8,227
Your best bet if you're in Europe and want an A105 is to import one, really. On Techmoan's recent video he shows his A105 being unable to reach even the level of the pre-modded CEW A55 (the first sticker on the left):

Screenshot_20201125-000544.png

And that's a bit sad. The trouble with this sort of cap is that different transducers have different impedance and sensitivity values, so being able to achieve a listenable volume on one IEM might not mean much with other gear. If you're into trying out many different kinds of transducers like planars and the like, you do want some headroom.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,184 of 8,227
I can only speak of my personal experience with Sony European models. I first bought the nwa-55L. I was happy with it, happier with the volume uncapped and happier still with MrWalkman’s firmware. I bought the A105 and returned it. No problem with iems or Bluetooth but with headphones volume was too low. I have for example the Sennheiser HD599 a relatively easy to drive headphone, 50 ohms impedance. I could compare the capped ( there is no know way) 105 and the uncapped 55 and it was night and day. it was a complete deal breaker for me, so I returned the 105. If you are going to use only easy to drive iems and Bluetooth then you are probably fine. Battery life could be better but the 105 is very nice otherwise.

Exactly what I was afraid of.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,185 of 8,227
Your best bet if you're in Europe and want an A105 is to import one, really. On Techmoan's recent video he shows his A105 being unable to reach even the level of the pre-modded CEW A55 (the first sticker on the left):

Screenshot_20201125-000544.png

And that's a bit sad. The trouble with this sort of cap is that different transducers have different impedance and sensitivity values, so being able to achieve a listenable volume on one IEM might not mean much with other gear. If you're into trying out many different kinds of transducers like planars and the like, you do want some headroom.

I saw this one too :frowning2:

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,187 of 8,227
Bluetooth devices have nothing to do with the EU volume cap as they will have their own DAC/amp built in (what's being transmitted over BT is a digital signal).

Y'alls European politicians seem to have something against personal stereos - apparently back in the cassette Walkman days Sony was criticised in Europe for the annoying sound leakage from the headphone and earbud designs of the time that was apparently pissing people off on public transit. As a result, they had to introduce AVLS and redesigned earbuds to mitigate this issue! Everywhere else the complainants would have been told to just deal with it or get their own personal stereo LOL

Hands off my volume knob is what I say!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,188 of 8,227
I already have my A55 removed in the Japan region. Thank you very much for the work Mr Walkman! To fill my microsd card with music ... I guess it is not necessary to install and use MusicCenter for windows and just copy flac files to the card on the pc and then scan on the Walkman ... Am I wrong? This is how I do it in my A&K Kann Alpha ... is there a more suitable way for Sony ?. Thanks to all for the help.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,189 of 8,227
I already have my A55 removed in the Japan region. Thank you very much for the work Mr Walkman! To fill my microsd card with music ... I guess it is not necessary to install and use MusicCenter for windows and just copy flac files to the card on the pc and then scan on the Walkman ... Am I wrong? This is how I do it in my A&K Kann Alpha ... is there a more suitable way for Sony ?. Thanks to all for the help.

Yeah, just copy music to your card using Windows Explorer. The files and folders should all be placed under the folder "MUSIC".

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #2,190 of 8,227
Yeah, just copy music to your card using Windows Explorer. The files and folders should all be placed under the folder "MUSIC".
For Kann Alpha, I extract the microsd and put it in the pc reader, I copy and paste flac files and when I finish, I insert the card again in A&K ... Are you saying that in the walkman it is not done like that? I have to connect my A55 with the microsd inside and then copy files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back