Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #796 of 7,711

Thanks, I'm acutely aware of the importance of relatively low output impedance, since it interacts appropriately with low-impedance loads.

To repeat - I couldn't give a fig about cans. It's not me that keeps harping on about cans whenever power output is mentioned.

I'm not suggesting that multi-BA CIEMs require lots of current. My point, all along, has simply been to point out that they need adequate current delivery, not 'getting by' on a feeble amp stage. Everything is relative.

I never meant to imply that output impedance was missed by you since it goes along with the drive capability you posted about. We're in agreement other than possibly for the need of headroom beyond clipping as an absolute.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #797 of 7,711
  lol, My bad, I rushed to post before reading.

I just read  the whole thread.

Thanks for your trouble, appreciated.

Now I have something to look for.
No ugly, slow and buggy UI for me (DX50!!! and DX100).

Sony welcome back.

Hahah! I'm actually kinda thinking "welcome back to you!" since I've not "seen" you around in awhile. Back on topic though, I have to admit that in my 2nd trial run of the ZX1, there were times where I felt the UI was a little laggy (not responding to my clicks to switch off the DSP) whilst playing a 24/192 file. But not as slow as the DX100 so still quite acceptable.

I may need to re-review my previous comment of how it felt comparable to a Snapdragon 600 @ 1.7GHz, but more likely like a slightly slower CPU.

On a slightly sadder note, I've booked my holidays to Oz and it looks like I won't be back in time to collect my ZX1 when it's ready. The release date is targeted for around 5th Dec, however I'm only returning back on the 10th. No early impressions for the audience here unfortunately.

I never meant to imply that output impedance was missed by you since it goes along with the drive capability you posted about. We're in agreement other than possibly for the need of headroom beyond clipping as an absolute.

I've been following the tech conversation here in the past few days and even though I understand what's said however what's the practical impact of what I should listen out for? What sort of tonal changes should I be seeking? For impedance mismatching, at least I've heard bass roll offs, etc. but what about high/low current delivery to multiple BAs (or to other cans - I have multi DD Kaedes, DD SigDJs or M500's, and V-Modex/T50RP ortho-mods which I can use).

I've tried the ZX1 demo with 2xBA's (MH335DW and TG!334) aside from what I've shared my early impressions (of larger staging, not so central vocals, possibly not so resolving in micro-detail, etc.) I've not heard any tonal irregularities in my brief listening sessions.

@Mython, when you say "adequate" current delivery is needed, what are some of the symptoms of "inadequate" current to multi-BAs?

I'm in the position where I can possibly help enlighten some of the practical concerns since I can run to the shop to demo (when I have time) but if someone can guide me to let me know what they're looking for specifically that'll make my job easier.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #798 of 7,711
Please check how the Sig Dj runs out of this beauty, if your time allows it and if ypu like to know that too. And please try to find out for us poor Europeans if this walkman will reach our market uncapped.
Btw what happened to ypu and the ED 12 trackdown.....

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #799 of 7,711
  lol, My bad, I rushed to post before reading.

I just read  the whole thread.

Thanks for your trouble, appreciated.

Now I have something to look for.
No ugly, slow and buggy UI for me (DX50!!! and DX100).

Sony welcome back.

What!?!? Your best friend here has spent considerable effort in making my way to the Ginza Sony store - stopping by for coffee along the way, flirting with the Sony sales staff of the Xperia and Digital Camera showrooms whilst oiling my way to the Walkman section. Then having line up, making more small talk to kill time, just for a quick 5 min listening session. Then rush to the closest Starbucks, grabbing a cup of coffee, and some phone numbers along the way just to hop onto their free WiFi to share the NW-ZX1 impressions with the audience here.

And you missed my initial impressions post!!??

What!?!?  All this time and I thought that I'm his best friend.  Welcome back Turok!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #800 of 7,711
As far as I recall, these will be released in December. Is it very likely or possible that the sound in the final production units may be tweaked and slightly different from the current demo units?

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #801 of 7,711

Apparently, Sony are quoting 32hrs, but that's meaningless, since it's for 128kbps mp3 playback - in other words, it's typical disingenuous smoke-&-mirrors marketing B$.

I'm guessing it's probably going to be 15-18hrs with Hi-Rez.

I hope they arent mentioning this in the specs, considering 128kbps is no way near 'audiophile' grade. It would be embarrasing for us
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #802 of 7,711

I hope they arent mentioning this in the specs, considering 128kbps is no way near 'audiophile' grade. It would be embarrasing for us
ksc75smile.gif

Wait, if they're quoting 32 hrs, then they should quote it was at 128kbps - I've not gone to check myself. Otherwise it's implied that it's 32 hrs with hires and there maybe Class A suits flying around.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #805 of 7,711
I don't understand what he's saying, but the interface looks pretty smooth for the most part.

What's the random plastic cover on the back of the device?

Make that really smooth. Smooth as butter.

If I end up getting the F880, it'll be my first Android device. :p

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #806 of 7,711

What!?!?  All this time and I thought that I'm his best friend.  Welcome back Turok!
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Just remembered why I love Headfi, guys thanks for your warm welcome.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #807 of 7,711

biggrin.gif

Just remembered why I love Headfi, guys thanks for your warm welcome.

We miss your craziness Turok.  The F887 is out in Japan....why don't you take one for the team?  
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #810 of 7,711
  We miss your craziness Turok.  The F887 is out in Japan....why don't you take one for the team?  
tongue.gif

Thanks Purk.

The ZX1 is what I am interested to get, as you know I am a Sony freak, and it might be the one to rule them all, as a complete package.
SQ, battery life, size and UI all are balanced as I hope.
There is no perfect DAP, but having excellent SQ with bad interface, is something I am trying not to repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back