Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #826 of 7,711

I hope zx1 is WAAAAAY better than the F886 as I'm not even sure if I feel F886 is an improvement over F806 in terms of sound.  

I was quite optimistic that ZX1 would be close to or even better than AK120 and thus pre-ordered it as soon as I find a store that is willing to take my money.  I'm now less optimistic than before based on the F886.  Also the rapid rate that iBasso is improving their DX50's UI also made me less anxious to jump onto another DAP.  Now we need some folks in Tokyo to restart the hype enthusiastic train to keep away my doubt/anxiety and keep us excited until December.

so how was the sound is it as good as fiio x3

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #827 of 7,711
  so how was the sound is it as good as fiio x3

I much prefer X3 sound over F886, but much prefer F886 on everything else other than sound over X3...

And no, we in Hong Kong aren't lucky enough to get a demo on zx1 yet, I'm so anxious for someone to tell me it is night and day compared to the the F886.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #828 of 7,711

I much prefer X3 sound over F886, but much prefer F886 on everything else other than sound over X3...

And no, we in Hong Kong aren't lucky enough to get a demo on zx1 yet, I'm so anxious for someone to tell me it is night and day compared to the the F886.

Well, that's not encouraging for the Sonys. Could you elaborate a bit on the sonic differences between the X3 and F886?

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #829 of 7,711
We all hear things differently, I had the opportunity to demo the WM-Z & AK120 side by side for a reasonable amount of time and in truth, for red-book lossless I would go with the Sony but the AK120 had the edge simply because of hi-res music files. The difference between hi-res & red-book was not that great either so I will be in no rush to go out and buy a load of hi-res albums tending to buy as needs be. I do not think there with be much difference in SQ between the old & new F-Series Walkmans apart from hi-res capability & physical buttons.

I will buy the ZX1 for sure, purely as an upgrade to my Z1070. I know the Sony will work out of the box without the hassle of re-tagging my music or waiting for the next firmware update to improve the sound & get rid of the bugs.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #830 of 7,711
  We all hear things differently, I had the opportunity to demo the WM-Z & AK120 side by side for a reasonable amount of time and in truth, for red-book lossless I would go with the Sony but the AK120 had the edge simply because of hi-res music files. The difference between hi-res & red-book was not that great either so I will be in no rush to go out and buy a load of hi-res albums tending to buy as needs be. I do not think there with be much difference in SQ between the old & new F-Series Walkmans apart from hi-res capability & physical buttons.

I will buy the ZX1 for sure, purely as an upgrade to my Z1070. I know the Sony will work out of the box without the hassle of re-tagging my music or waiting for the next firmware update to improve the sound & get rid of the bugs.

When are you referring to when you said "WM-Z" in your first paragraph?  ZX-1 or Z1070?

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #833 of 7,711
  I wish I had the ZX1 but alas I'll have to wait until December, it was the Z1070 I used & I was pretty impressed how it held its own against non hi-res files.

Well...I've been saying that for awhile now that for none hi-rez playbacks the Sony F, Z, and A with the "S-Master Module" are really good and neck to neck with much more expensive Audiophile DAPs out there.  Of course, we are talking the results with CIEMs & easy to drive phones here.  

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #834 of 7,711
NWZ-A845 plus MDR EX-1000 with 320 vbr is dreamlike at the moment for me.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #836 of 7,711
  I have 2 questions related to it, will it have gapless playback and folder view? Any information regarding to these 2 basic features? Maybe Anak can shed some light here?

Yes, it should have a folder view.  You will also like the way Sony implemented their Music App.  The app also features a "Recent Added" function for your most recent file uploaded onto the player.  As for gapless, it should be available but not under Flac.  Either Wav or Sony's proprietary ATRAC Lossless format. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #837 of 7,711
  Yes, it should have a folder view.  You will also like the way Sony implemented their Music App.  The app also features a "Recent Added" function for your most recent file uploaded onto the player.  As for gapless, it should be available but not under Flac.  Either Wav or Sony's proprietary ATRAC Lossless format. 

No Flac gapless? Most of my music files are in Flac. Why no love for Flac Sony, I am asking you? Is it really difficult to implement gapless, I mean that's a basic feature that makes our day with many albums (especially live recordings).

I don't need a recent added or artist or genres or anything like that. Give me good old folder view, I am happy guy.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #838 of 7,711
If the players are android based can't you just download another app and use that? 

I just don't get why the manufacturers don't give us gapless playback straight out of the box.  It kept cropping up in comments in the x3 thread that it isn't that big a deal over in japan (note, gross generalization there).

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #839 of 7,711

I was quite optimistic that ZX1 would be close to or even better than AK120 and thus pre-ordered it as soon as I find a store that is willing to take my money.  I'm now less optimistic than before based on the F886.  Also the rapid rate that iBasso is improving their DX50's UI also made me less anxious to jump onto another DAP.  Now we need some folks in Tokyo to restart the hype enthusiastic train to keep away my doubt/anxiety and keep us excited until December.

I'm pleased to hear iBasso are making improvements to the DX50 firmware. It seems like a good value DAP, for that kind of money, although I admit I haven't had a chance yet to hear it.

As you know, the X5 is due at the end of this year/beginning of 2014. James (Fiio) is claiming the UI will be greatly improved over that of the X3. It certainly looks pretty slick:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-sep-24th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/1350#post_9887604

It's certainly larger than the NW-ZX1, though, so, as ever, you can't have it all!
wink.gif
:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-sep-24th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/1365#post_9889946

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #840 of 7,711

No Flac gapless? Most of my music files are in Flac. Why no love for Flac Sony, I am asking you? Is it really difficult to implement gapless, I mean that's a basic feature that makes our day with many albums (especially live recordings).

I don't need a recent added or artist or genres or anything like that. Give me good old folder view, I am happy guy.

I'm not sure but it maybe addressed already in the current lineup.  My experience has been the previous generation Z & F players.
  If the players are android based can't you just download another app and use that? 

I just don't get why the manufacturers don't give us gapless playback straight out of the box.  It kept cropping up in comments in the x3 thread that it isn't that big a deal over in japan (note, gross generalization there).

Yes, you can but I keep coming back to the original Sony app.  It just nicer interface wise.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back