Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 13, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #4,141 of 7,711
Well Cecala there was no way for you to have known this is going to happen. What is important is you have made the purchase and you are liking the product. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #4,142 of 7,711
So... I'm contemplating getting this... or not getting into high end DAPs at all.

One of the main problems I've had with DAPs so far is with the UI. I assume the ZX1 should move along fine since it does use android. Does anyone know if I can upgrade it to a later version of android? Or is it stuck at 4.1?

I tried the AK120, which was an overall disappointment for me. A major thumbs down because of the UI and responsiveness (since I am coming from iOS devices). And frankly, the sound alone wasn't able to justify the price for me.

I'm considering the ZX1 since it seems to be more well rounded. Decent SQ of a source combined with a UI that should already be industry standard. The only downside is I won't be able to use it as my desktop's usb audio, but I'll manage.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'll be pairing the ZX1 (if I get it) with a FitEar TG334 and possibly their CIEMs.

The Walkman music player itself is a separate app and the core Android OS is not heavily skinned (it looks like a Sony Xperia phone UI, which is actually quite close to stock Android), so being able to upgrade the core Android OS or not is going to be fairly irrelevant if the music player app itself stays the same (and Android is now only at point releases, so we probably aren't getting a big UI change in Android either). Now whether Sony is going to update their music app is a completely different matter. Here's hoping the popularity of this machine and hopefully their other Android based player means they would commit to updating the app.

The UI of the app is pretty good, not quite iOS level good, but close enough. Though I don't have experience with the AK120 I can say it is much better than the AK100 I had before. Media GO for Windows is MILES better than the iRiver sync software though, so that's a huge plus in my book (don't EVER tell me to do drag and drop, I have over 400 CDs, metadata is the way to go so syncing software is very important). Note that it's not going to carry all your iTunes metadata over so there might be some initial teething issues if you rely a lot of iTune's metadata functions like smart playlist to organise your library.

I use my ZX1 with my Fitear MH335DW, they pair pretty well I think.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,143 of 7,711

So... I'm contemplating getting this... or not getting into high end DAPs at all.

One of the main problems I've had with DAPs so far is with the UI. I assume the ZX1 should move along fine since it does use android. Does anyone know if I can upgrade it to a later version of android? Or is it stuck at 4.1?

I tried the AK120, which was an overall disappointment for me. A major thumbs down because of the UI and responsiveness (since I am coming from iOS devices). And frankly, the sound alone wasn't able to justify the price for me.

I'm considering the ZX1 since it seems to be more well rounded. Decent SQ of a source combined with a UI that should already be industry standard. The only downside is I won't be able to use it as my desktop's usb audio, but I'll manage.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'll be pairing the ZX1 (if I get it) with a FitEar TG334 and possibly their CIEMs.

The Walkman music player itself is a separate app and the core Android OS is not heavily skinned (it looks like a Sony Xperia phone UI, which is actually quite close to stock Android), so being able to upgrade the core Android OS or not is going to be fairly irrelevant if the music player app itself stays the same (and Android is now only at point releases, so we probably aren't getting a big UI change in Android either). Now whether Sony is going to update their music app is a completely different matter. Here's hoping the popularity of this machine and hopefully their other Android based player means they would commit to updating the app.

The UI of the app is pretty good, not quite iOS level good, but close enough. Though I don't have experience with the AK120 I can say it is much better than the AK100 I had before. Media GO for Windows is MILES better than the iRiver sync software though, so that's a huge plus in my book (don't EVER tell me to do drag and drop, I have over 400 CDs, metadata is the way to go so syncing software is very important). Note that it's not going to carry all your iTunes metadata over so there might be some initial teething issues if you rely a lot of iTune's metadata functions like smart playlist to organise your library.

I use my ZX1 with my Fitear MH335DW, they pair pretty well I think.

I recently tried a Sony phone which had 4.1 on it and it was quite a bit faster than the ZX-1. Kitkat is 4.1 optimized so it would benefit the ZX-1 in response time. From what I've read sony do upgrade Android over time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #4,144 of 7,711
I recently tried a Sony phone which had 4.1 on it and it was quite a bit faster than the ZX-1. Kitkat is 4.1 optimized so it would benefit the ZX-1 in response time. From what I've read sony do upgrade Android over time.

A lot of the CPU sucking processes are simply not on the ZX-1 as this isn't a phone, and I would think that most people won't be wanting to install lots of Android apps or even game on this thing anyway (it doesn't even have a 720p screen), so a dual core CPU is plenty for the purpose it serves. Also I really doubt that the mobile division is even heavily involved in the creation of this device, plus Sony has a bad habit of division in-fighting so I won't hold my breathe either for the OS upgrade. As far as I'm concerned though, out of the box the core OS is fine and pretty much irrelevant and transparent to the user experience, what I would want instead is that Sony would commit to updating the music player app.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #4,145 of 7,711
Zx1 coming to Australia for 699 aud.

Are you sure about that? At that price, I'd be happy to forego any ATRAC support and re-rip everything I've accumulated in ATRAC to FLAC. Where did you find this price information?

[Edit: Never mind. I just saw your following post about what was on the website. Unbelievable!]

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,146 of 7,711
What, I''ll say it again, What. I spent over $900 from Japan. The one time we get a better deal here and I miss out. I'm pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah but you also have ATRAC support in yours. Cost vs benefit ratio is still level pegged, I'd say. :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #4,147 of 7,711

the ui found on an idevice may well be nice. but at the expense of sq. what do you prefer, nice ui or better sq? exactly how nice does a ui need to be able to play an album from start to finish?

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #4,148 of 7,711
Well ETA note: [COLOR=333333]Estimated shipment - 14th May 2014.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]You've enjoyed your ZX1 during that time. I'm still highly impressed at the pricing though.[/COLOR]

Well Malaysia's price is expected to be around RM2100-2200 :p

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #4,149 of 7,711

Well Malaysia's price is expected to be around RM2100-2200
tongue.gif

Sangat murah!! Well the ZX1s are made in Malaysia. I'm guessing that (hopefully) they don't have to get exported only to be re-imported back in.

P.S. I'm a Baba from Malacca :wink:. But please don't test my Bahasa though. It's been way too many years.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4,150 of 7,711

A lot of the CPU sucking processes are simply not on the ZX-1 as this isn't a phone, and I would think that most people won't be wanting to install lots of Android apps or even game on this thing anyway (it doesn't even have a 720p screen), so a dual core CPU is plenty for the purpose it serves. Also I really doubt that the mobile division is even heavily involved in the creation of this device, plus Sony has a bad habit of division in-fighting so I won't hold my breathe either for the OS upgrade. As far as I'm concerned though, out of the box the core OS is fine and pretty much irrelevant and transparent to the user experience, what I would want instead is that Sony would commit to updating the music player app.

If your belief regarding the android OS is to be believed then it also applies to the  Music player app. No upgrade either way.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #4,151 of 7,711
  Well Cecala there was no way for you to have known this is going to happen. What is important is you have made the purchase and you are liking the product.

You do know that the price of $699 AUD is Sony's recommended price and no-one sticks to that. You might/will find this player at JB Hifi for anywhere up to $100 cheaper!!

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,152 of 7,711
Sony do update the OS normally when there is a Walkman firmware upgrade (they updated Android when they introduced Flac playback), they don't appear to update unless there is a reason... if the milli-second delay bothers you when compared another OS I would suggest it's best sticking with what you got.

as for the assumed 'impedance' problem.... there are many on here that own totl CIEM/IEM's and no-one has complained one iota about impedance issues... that said, many have stated how well their CIEM/IEM's perform with the ZX1/F88X. These DAP's have been designed in the main for use with IEM's.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,153 of 7,711
  Sony do update the OS normally when there is a Walkman firmware upgrade (they updated Android when they introduced Flac playback), they don't appear to update unless there is a reason... if the milli-second delay bothers you when compared another OS I would suggest it's best sticking with what you got.

as for the assumed 'impedance' problem.... there are many on here that own totl CIEM/IEM's and no-one has complained one iota about impedance issues... that said, many have stated how well their CIEM/IEM's perform with the ZX1/F88X. These DAP's have been designed in the main for use with IEM's.

Yup if latest OS and super fluid UI is key then a phone+dac/amp stack would probably give you best of both world in the expense of pocketability.  Else from a pure phone-seque UI perspective, even with an antiqued ICS [Edit: JB, thanks Artstar] 4.1 the ZX1 is already your best bet.

On the CIEM/OI, I personally don't like my JH13FP with it, but Fitear TG334 pairs well (but still doesn't like it enough to keep the ZX1).  Both are multi-BA so it's not purely a topology/theatrical thing.    

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4,154 of 7,711
Else from a pure phone-seque UI perspective, even with an antiqued ICS 4.1 the ZX1 is already your best bet.

4.1 is Jellybean. 4.0.4 (in my F807) is ICS.

That's a curious move too, given there's no TRIM functionality for managing fragmentation in RAM, which was what led Samsung to upgrade their higher end mobiles from 4.1 to 4.3.

I sure do hope the ZX1 gets a similar upgrade for the sake of screen mirroring. That would be killer, as long as there are no compromises arising from it.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #4,155 of 7,711
kkcc... strangely I really regretted selling my WM-Z when I first got my ZX1, mainly the way the ZX1 treated some older recordings from the pre-digital age (they sounded pretty naff in truth)... I loaned both my ZX1 & F887 to Chord for a few months for evaluation purposes with the Hugo, now I'm not sure if the saying 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' but my opinion on the ZX1 (F887) changed completely when it (they) was returned to me... the foible's that irked me before were gone and now I just enjoy the ZX1 for what it is... a master-class in simple design and great SQ that is up there with the very best.... for now, that'll do for me as I don't feel the need to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back