Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,028 of 7,711
  You guys think it's worth getting the ZX1 if I don't have some high end CIEM? The best I have is the CK100 Pro

It all depends on do you actually need one? I dont think you will need high end CIEM to enjoy its full effect. I dont have a ZX-1 yet. I'm not in a hurry as its just released. Sony knows their audio and their daps will drive 80-90% of all IEMs out there with ease.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,029 of 7,711
  The F886/7 & ZX1 almost demand good quality recordings, bad ones really are shown up for what they are, crap recordings (ponders an Obama moment)... these are very detailed DAP's and a bit unforgiving, having owned a E12 & enjoyed it I can see where the X3/5 might be more enjoyable, they won't be better or worse they'll have a more warm presentation... flavours of your choice is down to your taste, mines a double Sony, cheers.

The ZX1 fully justifies its price difference over the F887... more capacity, better materials & design, the tactile buttons are way easier, bigger battery for Hi-Res so will last longer, stronger jack socket so will support 1/4 headphone adaptors and you get a case... I'm essentially pairing the F887/PHA-2 together (you don't have remove the case to use the Sony bands, very clever case design & I kinda dislike the case) and using the ZX1 on its own.

ok guy it looks like you like your audio with a bit of warmth... a cold detailed sound can give me ear fatigue as well as making 60`s and 70`s recordings sound really bad ..looks like the ZX1 sound is signature is to bring out that extra detail in HI-RES music

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,031 of 7,711
  What about the ZX1's durability--how well does it withstand drops? I ask because I have limited dexterity, so I'd be likely to drop it more than I care to admit.

Thanks,
Brian

Here are some potential options for some cases that would (after a little simple modification) allow you to press the NW-ZX1 control buttons without having to remove it from the case:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1335#post_10042294

Also, because the NW-ZX1 is designed for the Japanese market, it just so happens that a lanyard anchor point is incorporated into the bottom right hand corner of the chassis. So you could, if you wish, attach a small lanyard that you wrap around your wrist each time you need to handle the DAP, thus saving it from hitting the ground if you lose your grip on the DAP, or you could attach a large lanyard and
wear it around your neck all the time, if you feel sufficiently comfortable with the weight of the DAP.  Or you could attach the lanyard to your jacket or to one of your belt loops on your jeans. Any of these lanyard options would stop the DAP from reaching the ground if it fell out of your hand.

So, lots of options to protect it from damage, but if it were to actually hit the ground, I wouldn't like to say how much damage you'd cause. The milled metal chassis would probably be resilient enough not to fall apart but I don't know how resilient the lovely large screen would be (many iPhone users have sad tales to tell about cracked screens). However, my Samsung SG2 has been dropped a couple of times, onto concrete, and the screen is just as good as it ever was, so....

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,032 of 7,711
  You guys think it's worth getting the ZX1 if I don't have some high end CIEM? The best I have is the CK100 Pro

Don't under-estimate those CK100Pro's. They are highly regarded around these parts.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2,037 of 7,711
But isn't CK100Pro already bright sounding ? Adding ZX1 in equation, is it ok ?

@Anak
Maybe get an armband. Wont have to worry about it falling.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #2,038 of 7,711
One practical question. I am in Canada, how much import fees and tax would I pay if I order one from pricejapan? The list price on pricejapan is now $832. I'd like to know the total cost if I preorder now.
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,039 of 7,711
Finally got my unit in today. Still transferring music onto and trying to love the Sony Media Go.. never been a fan. Out of the box its a beauty all right. Transferred some quick albums to test overall initial sound within half hour only. Plan to test the unit through the night. Definitely agree on the airy feeling, classical and jazz music sounds superb on this. I'm no audiophile expert but  its like I rediscovered Miles Davis all over again. Will play with more on classical music within the next day so.

Got a chance to try clearaudio+ feature. I can see how some love it, and others not. On some genres I fine it to work wonders and makes me want to leave it on. On others I feel the need to turn it off. Listening to rock with it made me feel like the equalizer is defiling the song. Perhaps that sounds too strong but its just a feature that is a hit and miss depending on what you listen to.

Off the bat though I noticed that the overall power output to my phones was not as high as compared to the Fiio x3,on the fiios the cans can get to ear bleeding levels easily. On the ZX1 that is not necessarily the case. The ZX1 can still drive my ATH-900 easily but for those with cans needing power to drive them to their full potential an amp may be necessary. I paired the unit with the pha-2 and its perfectly powerful and filling.

Initial Cons:
My biggest gripe is the zx1 and pha-2 pairing though. I would assume since the output to the pha-2 was digital that at least any sound adjustments made to equalizer, clear audio, and etc would take affect. However that is not the case, any changes made only effect the output from the headphone jack. I find this to be disappointing as I see this as a major let down. Hoping there is something I missed but I see no way to change this behavior. Anyone else with the pair wants to chime in please do.

Overall its still too early for me to make a major judgment call but this easily overtakes my use from the fiio x3 and ipod. The overall ui is so beautiful and usable that I can honestly say I won't miss the fiio ui anytime soon. Playlist creation thank the gods!!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2,040 of 7,711
puerrican85, Nice impression and photos!

I often revisit Miles Davis album whenever I buy new gear!

good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back