Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,996 of 7,711

that was the best reason I've seen to date used as an excuse to purchase a ZX1... that'll be hard to top
beerchug.gif

Sony are learning from their camera division. A nice little eco-system they are building up.

Although for me, the SQ differences at this stage are small enough that this type of "feature" jumps nearer the top of the Desirable list. 

Bet it won't work with the Galaxy Gear though!

Damn me going all-out for Samsung!
deadhorse.gif

OK-Guy, maybe we can meet up in the next few weeks, so I can grab a listen to your ZX1 - then again - I get paid on 31 December, might just be a fool, and head down TCR and pick one up from the Sony Galleria...

Don't think the ZX1 is out in the UK yet. Dunno how up to date they are with the releases. Last time I went in trying to look for the Z1, they didn't have it, even though the mobile stores had demos.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,997 of 7,711
The ZX1 success in Japan will lead to US release (maybe with a little tweaking).

Sony is keen to provide us with the "Walkman" feeling again.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,999 of 7,711

Obi-Turok... a little warmth to stop the odd chill would be nice.

P. how are you finding the ZX1 pairing with your iem/cans?

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2,000 of 7,711
  P. how are you finding the ZX1 pairing with your iem/cans?

Obi... you couldn't of asked me a worse question, I can only talk about the KEF M500's and not about my IEM's, it's difficult so please don't ask me to explain things until matters have been resolved with Head-Fi (nothing bad my friend).

The KEF's are a bit of a surprise in truth, they don't give the detail of a good IEM but they are enjoyable with the ZX1, I think I may pair them with ZX1/PHA-2 combo as the volume is down a tad compared to IEM use and I think the extra bit of grunt could do wonders. I do have minor irritations with the M500's but that's mainly finding the sweet spot and trying not to move around a lot when wearing them.... the highs appear to sit back a little, the mid's are smoothly revealing and the bass has reasonable depth, it's quite a nice pairing, using these for soul/classic rock is appearing to be a better option over a IEM in this household (only having two options is kinda limiting).

I'm seriously considering the TG IEM ranges as they appear to have a bit of 'darkness' that could suit the ZX1 & my ears... I'm not sure if the M500's are keepers as I'm pretty much set on some 'mad-dogs' at some point (they will defo suit my personality)... I'll probably let the F887 go in January but that might be a hard call it'll all be down to a few other options open to me headphone wise.

Me & Fortis plan to crash some Apple stores and cause ZX1 mayhem in the New Year, hopefully we can get Duncan & one or two more to join us on our jollies... all in the pursuit of headphone nirvana, honest.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,001 of 7,711
I spoke to a Sony marketing rep who came yo my work, after a nice lengthy 20 minutes talk the bitter truth is Sony Australia and Sony Japan do things completely dependent of each other. Meaning if zx1 sales a millions of its kind there is no guarantee that it will ever make it here.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,002 of 7,711
that might be something to do with the trade blockade that England have requested Japan participate in... never a good idea to stuff us in the Ashes, it's just not Cricket old chap.

it'll be hard for any Sony region not to take ZX1... the world's hi-fi press are into this device.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,004 of 7,711
From the bits I've read on here about the 886 and zx1 there's not a huge amount of difference.  However there is the capacity which makes it tempting.  I'm glad (almost) that pricejapan can't get any until the second batch is released as I may have just cracked and ordered one.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,005 of 7,711
On the F886 thread, someone did a comparison between the FiiO X3 and, well, the F886. The conclusion from that comparison was that the X3 ultimately won out in terms of sound quality. Saying the ZX1 isn't much different from the F886, which was rated worse for sound quality from that reviewer, doesn't seem very promising for me considering you're paying more than twice the price for it.

AnakChan selling off the AK120 for the ZX1 indicates that the sound quality is much bumped up from the F886.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,007 of 7,711
  The ZX1 success in Japan will lead to US release (maybe with a little tweaking).

Sony is keen to provide us with the "Walkman" feeling again.

I have doubts about it being available in the US. Actually I'll be pleasantly surprised it is. They are pretty similar to Audio Technica in that a lot of their higher end audio products stays on the other side of the world. I'm not sure exactly why the reason is however. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2,008 of 7,711
You wanna talk about Japan-Only products and the pain we have as audio lovers? I kindly suggest FitEar ciems in that regards. Still MH335DW is a burning wound in me and I am sure until I win the lottery and take a visit to Japan, I won't be able to get them.

Really what is the problem with these Japanese brands? Why they don't love the rest of the world?

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,009 of 7,711
Dunno why is Tera player compared to the ZX1. Lack of screen and function killed it for me, didn't sound better than my current setup with my phone either.

While I highly doubt that ZX1 will, mix of function, quailty and actual useable buttons while in the pocket really seems great. Can't wait to hear it if it is coming over to UK... or I have to wait till another trip before I hear it. =/

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,010 of 7,711
  Dunno why is Tera player compared to the ZX1. Lack of screen and function killed it for me, didn't sound better than my current setup with my phone either.

While I highly doubt that ZX1 will, mix of function, quailty and actual useable buttons while in the pocket really seems great. Can't wait to hear it if it is coming over to UK... or I have to wait till another trip before I hear it. =/

...its just the most expensive player on the market.  If something else knocks it off its throne (lets say a future Astell & Kern), then the bulls eye will move.  No point in feeding the trolls.

Anyways, I think Sony was spot on to go Android with their players.  So much potential in usability growth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back