Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #2,042 of 7,711
Thanks @puerrican85 for the photo shot comparison, really place the ZX1 in perspective. Can't hardly wait for your sound review on the ZX1. Please let us know how the unit sounds with classical music. I am a bit curious about the bass level on the ZX1, a few owners already mentioned it's on the clear side, is the bass impact good? Would I be able to drive the HD600 through it without an amp. How about the Shure SE535 iems, would they be too treble prone with the ZX1?

Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of getting one I am just afraid I might not be happy because of it being possibly too flat.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #2,043 of 7,711
Tera & NW-ZX1 Comparison

My impressions comparing the two with the following setup
- FitEar MH335DW
- Tera: Wav
- ZX1: FLAC

Tera
- bass is lean
- treble extends smoothly but not sparkly
- more mid focused than the ZX1
- feels more neutral
- feels more organic

ZX1
- deeper bass -> sub-bass extension
- (I could be wrong about this but) sounds a teeny weeny tad more U-shaped coming from the Tera
- treble is sparkly
- more "hi-fi"ish and somewhat more clinical
- feels very systematically "produced"

Summary
ZX1 definitely grabs my attention more easily as it's so clean cut, precise, and (as mentioned) clinical. Whereas the Tera feels more "fluid". I'll use the ZX1 when I'm on the move to 'n fro work, walking around whilst shopping, or at the local Starbucks whilst escaping from paternal duties. But I'll use the Tera when I'm in the gym, or going for a run outside.

I missed that, you said the bass is extended and freq response feels U shaped? Sean would you characterized the ZX1 response as not being flat then?

This is where I wish I could try the ZX1 at a store but can't. I asked the question to PriceJapan but they never answered me back, I understand I can always sell it back however it seems a lot of trouble to try the ZX1.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,044 of 7,711
I want to apologize about prior comments I made to some members about having to explain their TP purchase, not having the player is truly not putting me in a good position to criticize the ownership and the costs associated with owning one. The only thing I wanted to say which was not interpreted right is that once you buy it you feel compelled to explain it even if another player could be superior to a certain degree but again being myself owner of many amps, I am also guilty of buying into the best audio equipment that manufacturers have to offer including pricier ones. So please don't take this as an attack to yourself or your wallet as I have spent plenty myself.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,045 of 7,711
I missed that, you said the bass is extended and freq response feels U shaped? Sean would you characterized the ZX1 response as not being flat then?

This is where I wish I could try the ZX1 at a store but can't. I asked the question to PriceJapan but they never answered me back, I understand I can always sell it back however it seems a lot of trouble to try the ZX1.

When I wrote that I was thinking hard if I should have wrote it :p. That's why I thought I'd qualify myself by saying "coming from the Tera". I think it's perception with the bass extension and more sparkly highs that it feels a little U-shaped when both are side-by-side. Or the Tera has a strong mids emphasis and the ZX1 is more neutral?

I have to admit when I first listen to the ZX1 on it's own I didn't feel that way. It's only when I have the two side-by-side.

Edit: I'm listening to Carpenters' "Yesterday Once More" and I feel a little more committed to say there's a little U-shapeness there. More obvious with a Tera next to it.

P.S. Yes ClearAudio+ is off

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,046 of 7,711
When I wrote that I was thinking hard if I should have wrote it :p. That's why I thought I'd qualify myself by saying "coming from the Tera". I think it's perception with the bass extension and more sparkly highs that it feels a little U-shaped when both are side-by-side. Or the Tera has a strong mids emphasis and the ZX1 is more neutral?

I have to admit when I first listen to the ZX1 on it's own I didn't feel that way. It's only when I have the two side-by-side.

Couple of things I appreciate your honesty, secondly maybe the ZX1 by itself would be ok and not having the TP experience I might find the ZX1 just fine and neutral which is good but I do like some good bass once in a while so sounds like I can get that too. I might be more one sided with my music, I am heavy on trance, EDM music with lush pads and wide range synthesizers, I also like Dubstep and those put a lot of pressure on both ends of the scale which I am afraid of missing. I know I can't ask you to guage the player with that kind of music because most likely it won't be in your liking. The best I can ask is can it take such frequency response swing?

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #2,047 of 7,711
Couple of things I appreciate your honesty, secondly maybe the ZX1 by itself would be ok and not having the TP experience I might find the ZX1 just fine and neutral which is good but I do like some good bass once in a while so sounds like I can get that too. I might be more one sided with my music, I am heavy on trance, EDM music with lush pads and wide range synthesizers, I also like Dubstep and those put a lot of pressure on both ends of the scale which I am afraid of missing. I know I can't ask you to guage the player with that kind of music because most likely it won't be in your liking. The best I can ask is can it take such frequency response swing?

Personally for me, if I listened to trance, EDM, etc. (which I don't but I do know what it is, or I'd like to think so :p) I think without a doubt I'd prefer to listen to that off the ZX1 than off the Tera. The ZX1 extension on both ends is just going to make the tracks a little more exciting to my ears.

However no matter how much a player has its tendencies, it's my personal belief that the headphones will dictate the most prominent signature. If a headphone is U-shaped, (without EQ) I don't think the player, DAC, amp, cables, etc. will be able to make it flip to an delta shape. It's my belief that those components can influence to certain tendencies but not completely change the signature.

Note though, my comparisons between the ZX1 & the Tera has been with my MH335DW - that's all I have with me at the moment. I'm sure some would argue it's not an apples to apples comparison because of impedance mismatch (and they would be right too in pointing that out).

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2,048 of 7,711
Tera Player should he tried out with Korta Koss modded because thats originally was concepted by Charles.Tried myself with many IEMs and headphones but nothings come so close to the one mentioned above...And after the SQ seen the video how is all hand made by a single guy..ohh boy is very impressive. Time to buy a 128gb sdxc :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,049 of 7,711
Personally for me, if I listened to trance, EDM, etc. (which I don't but I do know what it is, or I'd like to think so :p) I think without a doubt I'd prefer to listen to that off the ZX1 than off the Tera. The ZX1 extension on both ends is just going to make the tracks a little more exciting to my ears.

However no matter how much a player has its tendencies, it's my personal belief that the headphones will dictate the most prominent signature. If a headphone is U-shaped, (without EQ) I don't think the player, DAC, amp, cables, etc. will be able to make it flip to an delta shape. It's my belief that those components can influence to certain tendencies but not completely change the signature.

Note though, my comparisons between the ZX1 & the Tera has been with my MH335DW - that's all I have with me at the moment. I'm sure some would argue it's not an apples to apples comparison because of impedance mismatch (and they would be right too in pointing that out).

Earphones/headphones now I am about to break down, I put so little on that that I cannot comment other than saying I have SE535 which so far are terrible with anything I purchased except the iPod 5th gen imod that I sold recently so no more of those. I just can't find anything I can afford and match with any players, it's really sad. What can I buy for say no more than 500$ US iems I can be happy with I could pair with the ZX1?

I have also a pair of HD600 which I constantly use because they pair so well with any I have it's a dream headphone pair, Sennheiser do know how to build headphones. However they ain't portable so can you recommend anything at all. Don't worry about giving your own bias I will check some more to see if it would work for me. I thought about the W4r which I can afford, but they may not be right for the ZX1.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,050 of 7,711

Hi Sean

Please try it one song with your WM ZX 1 and your Tera with the same file music format WAV
This would be different sq from your WM ZX 1
Thank you

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,051 of 7,711
Tera Player should he tried out with Korta Koss modded because thats originally was concepted by Charles.Tried myself with many IEMs and headphones but nothings come so close to the one mentioned above...And after the SQ seen the video how is all hand made by a single guy..ohh boy is very impressive. Time to buy a 128gb sdxc
smily_headphones1.gif

See...I can't really live with just a dedicated headphone per DAP. Not to mention I never really enjoyed the Korta Koss Pro & something about the comfort with it for me. I think it's admirable for what Charles has done though.

Hi Sean

Please try it one song with your WM ZX 1 and your Tera with the same file music format WAV
This would be different sq from your WM ZX 1
Thank you

Hi Rudi, I can tell ya that I'm not a believer of the WAV vs FLAC vs ALAC vs small capacity SD Card vs large capacity SD Card vs Duracell battery vs Energiser battery. I have tried those combo before in other players in the past numerous times and sometimes I think I hear a difference but it's not replicated consistently and across a wide enough range of scenario to convince me. I'll admit that I don't have dogs ears and in fact for most of you, you'll probably able to listen a one-time comparison and draw a conclusion but I know myself that I have to listen over and over again, on different days, at different times, then average my findings before I can draw a conclusion that applies to me only too.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #2,052 of 7,711
Sony wanted with the  ZX1 launch, to see  the acceptance and how the audiophile community will react to it.

I know that Sony will (hopefully) bring us even something better/tweaked for the other parts (esp. US and Europe).

How do I know? Sony is learning.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,053 of 7,711
See...I can't really live with just a dedicated headphone per DAP. Not to mention I never really enjoyed the Korta Koss Pro & something about the comfort with it for me. I think it's admirable for what Charles has done though.

Hi Rudi, I can tell ya that I'm not a believer of the WAV vs FLAC vs ALAC vs small capacity SD Card vs large capacity SD Card vs Duracell battery vs Energiser battery. I have tried those combo before in other players in the past numerous times and sometimes I think I hear a difference but it's not replicated consistently and across a wide enough range of scenario to convince me. I'll admit that I don't have dogs ears and in fact for most of you, you'll probably able to listen a one-time comparison and draw a conclusion but I know myself that I have to listen over and over again, on different days, at different times, then average my findings before I can draw a conclusion that applies to me only too.

Hi Sean
It is ok Sean , just my idea , because all my music file are 100% WAV
We compare the different between WAV and FIac and AAC not in one time , it is also like you did
On different days , different time , we can notice the sq different between WAV vs FLAC
IMO

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,054 of 7,711
Finally ploughed through this marathon thread and think I'm ready to invest in my first DAP for years. Thanks to all of you who are contributing reviews. It sounds very enticing, clinical maybe so needs a better match than my Etymotic hf3's.  I'm enjoying a lot of hi-res music via a USB-stick into an Oppo 93 BluRay player at the moment but want a tidier solution.

I swore I would never buy Sony again after my A808 was replaced (soon after buying) with a model that could use drag n drop instead of the horrible Sonic Stage. And to compound matters, Sony didn't update SS for Windows 7 and said they would never support it, leaving owners high and dry once their XP machines were replaced (OT but anyone here have the same problem?)

I'm in Essex England, I wondered if anyone in UK has asked their local Sony dealer what the latest is on an official release here? Even whispers if not an official answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back