Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #4,261 of 7,711
  Is there any decent display protection available? I am looking for something more solid then a foil. For my handy I have a thin glas but I could not find any for the ZX1. Maybe someone with more language possibilities than my German and English?

My family thinks I am crazy but I feel the strong need to protect this DAP from the ruff world out there.

Ilkyway 

Wish granted :wink:
I found this , come with 3 packs, also an anti-reflective , anti glare version , cheaper than the screen sheet from sony

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4,262 of 7,711
Has anyone compared this to the X5? 

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,263 of 7,711
What are the protective cases that have been mentioned for the ZX1 in this thread? Im looking to buy one soon.

Also, do i need a special program to transfer data to the ZX1. Ive only used itunes thus far, so im unsure what else i should consider. Oh, and does that change if im using a mac?

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #4,264 of 7,711
Hi mate, I'm late to this thread and still catching up; around one month behind. In case no one has answered your question, I use tag&rename - select the files in the compilation, edit all tags, give the files the same album name and check the 'part of a compilation' box. hope this helps/works.

Thanks for the tips. I kinda of fix it by re-tagging all my files from the artist to author so that zx1 cannot detect it and make all the artist the same name as the album. I am using Jriver media and thankfully the process is relatively simple. I appreciate your reply, thank you again.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4,265 of 7,711
I had the X5 for about 2 weeks. The X5 feels somewhat more tonally neutral to me (& where I'd consider the ZX1 to be slightly north of neutral - i.e. a little more treble presence).

However the ZX1 staging is still wider IMO. Overall personally for me the ZX1 wins out sonically. But if one factors in cost & what one gets for $$ I'd have to say the X5 represents better value for $$. It's 1/2 the price, has a more powerful amp stage (can drive the ADs more comfortably than the ZX1), & more versatile with the multi microSD slots.

I only use IEMs & if I want to use my ADs I use a portable amp anyway so that's why I stayed with the ZX1.

Otherwise I'd actually feel the X5 & ADs are a decent sub $1000 mobile audiophile package.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4,266 of 7,711
  Did anyone use this with MDR-Z1000 headphones, if yes what are the advantages over the Z? Thanks!

Does it have enough power to drive it, since many say this is for iems mostly.

Those are pretty sensitive with a relatively low impedance, so I would expect it to drive them fine. 

For reference, by their specs, my AKG Q-701 and HiFiMan HE-400 headphones should be harder to dive than the MDR-Z1000, and it can more or less drive those (although some quite recordings make you want to turn it up to 11). 

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #4,268 of 7,711
What are the protective cases that have been mentioned for the ZX1 in this thread? Im looking to buy one soon.

Also, do i need a special program to transfer data to the ZX1. Ive only used itunes thus far, so im unsure what else i should consider. Oh, and does that change if im using a mac?

Here's the Sony's MediaGo program: http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features not sure if it's compatable with Apple.

otherwise it's a simple 'drag & drop'

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #4,269 of 7,711
Mar 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,270 of 7,711
So, this is very odd. I received a dummy load in the mail today. Measuring output impedance seems pretty straightforward. Use my multimeter to measure output voltage, attach dummy load, repeat, calculate. To test how easy this was, I used my Clip+, and consistently get the same measurements. I calculated a 1.06 ohm output impedance, improved my connection and got 1 on the dot. Pretty much right on where you would expect. Output voltage is low, as you'd expect. But it's plenty high enough to get a reliable measurement, exactly what I would expect from something putting  out 10mW.

So I moved on to the ZX1, and it's output voltage is just vanishingly low. I'm using a 1000Hz test signal, and I just can't get a measurement that's worth noting. It's so damn low I can't reliably calculate the output impedance. I can tell you that it's between 0 and 8 ohms. Every measurement has been one or the other. Loaded, I basically get .0001V and I get .0001 or .0002V with no load. Is there something about a class D amp that might lead to what I'm seeing? Any way, knowing that the wattage is about the same as the Clip+, if the voltage is much lower, there must be a lot more current, but I also measure more current from the clip+. So I thought, maybe the headphone jack isn't outputting anything, so I plugged in some headphones, and that's not the case. None of this makes any sense.

I've used the multimeter enough to know what I'm doing, but this is the first time I've used a dummy load. But again, I've not had trouble with the aforementioned Clip+, or my E18 (which I measured at 1.78 ohm output impedance when set to low gain, if anyone's interested.)

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4,271 of 7,711

Those are pretty sensitive with a relatively low impedance, so I would expect it to drive them fine. 

For reference, by their specs, my AKG Q-701 and HiFiMan HE-400 headphones should be harder to dive than the MDR-Z1000, and it can more or less drive those (although some quite recordings make you want to turn it up to 11). 

Thanks, just want to get things ready when the time is right!

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,272 of 7,711
So, this is very odd. I received a dummy load in the mail today. Measuring output impedance seems pretty straightforward. Use my multimeter to measure output voltage, attach dummy load, repeat, calculate. To test how easy this was, I used my Clip+, and consistently get the same measurements. I calculated a 1.06 ohm output impedance, improved my connection and got 1 on the dot. Pretty much right on where you would expect. Output voltage is low, as you'd expect. But it's plenty high enough to get a reliable measurement, exactly what I would expect from something putting  out 10mW.

So I moved on to the ZX1, and it's output voltage is just vanishingly low. I'm using a 1000Hz test signal, and I just can't get a measurement that's worth noting. It's so damn low I can't reliably calculate the output impedance. I can tell you that it's between 0 and 8 ohms. Every measurement has been one or the other. Loaded, I basically get .0001V and I get .0001 or .0002V with no load. Is there something about a class D amp that might lead to what I'm seeing? Any way, knowing that the wattage is about the same as the Clip+, if the voltage is much lower, there must be a lot more current, but I also measure more current from the clip+. So I thought, maybe the headphone jack isn't outputting anything, so I plugged in some headphones, and that's not the case. None of this makes any sense.

I've used the multimeter enough to know what I'm doing, but this is the first time I've used a dummy load. But again, I've not had trouble with the aforementioned Clip+, or my E18 (which I measured at 1.78 ohm output impedance when set to low gain, if anyone's interested.)
maybe the dummy load is too small? Try one around 40?

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4,273 of 7,711
I had the X5 for about 2 weeks. The X5 feels somewhat more tonally neutral to me (& where I'd consider the ZX1 to be slightly north of neutral - i.e. a little more treble presence).

However the ZX1 staging is still wider IMO. Overall personally for me the ZX1 wins out sonically. But if one factors in cost & what one gets for $$ I'd have to say the X5 represents better value for $$. It's 1/2 the price, has a more powerful amp stage (can drive the ADs more comfortably than the ZX1), & more versatile with the multi microSD slots.

I only use IEMs & if I want to use my ADs I use a portable amp anyway so that's why I stayed with the ZX1.

Otherwise I'd actually feel the X5 & ADs are a decent sub $1000 mobile audiophile package.

Thanks, just ordered two from PriceJapan. Anyone kind enough to list down the available cases that have been mentioned in this thread? Anyone who has been in this thread to know the history...?

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #4,274 of 7,711

Personally if this is my only DAP I would pick X5 as I rate its sound higher - more neutral and full at the expense of narrower stage than zx1. But I did bought (despite selling in 2 weeks) zx1 over x5 as I wanted an android audiophile player for Spotify and other streaming services.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #4,275 of 7,711
DSD will be supported.. (thur PCM conversion)

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140319_638428.html

対応DSDフォーマットは、2.8MHz(DSD 64)までのDSF/DSDIFFファイル。NW-ZX1/F880内のDSDファイルを内部で24bit/192kHzのPCMに変換して再生する。そのため、バッテリ駆動時間は「192kHzのPCM再生時と同等」とのこと。

Users who are viewing this thread

Back