Sony NW-ZX300
May 10, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #9,811 of 12,862
Hello. I know we have members from around the world here, but I wanted to try speak to a much narrower group of readers. I am located in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada. I came across a thread where a Head-Fi'er had wondered about organizing a get together in Halifax. I wanted to post in this thread and talk to anybody that lives in or around Halifax or even if you were planning to visit the area in June. Just food for thought. If anyone is interested, you could post a reply in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/halifax-ns-meetup-2019.905499/

It would be cool if we could find five or six people with a few cool toys each. It could be a very interesting afternoon or evening.

Shane D

May 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #9,812 of 12,862
Since i picked up my ZX300, My Spotify acct has been collecting dust. I must admit, it is quite refreshing!
LOL why, it can be used as a BT receiver

May 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #9,814 of 12,862
A good speaker system is a treat. Whether you can use it to full capability is always a question. Going from a house to an apartment changes things. No more late night vinyl sessions. No more volume independent of consequence. The Dali Katch doesn’t provide the full bass range. I think it cuts out at 54 mhz. It’s mono. But for nearfield listening, and rocking the dock at impressive sound levels while retaining detail, it’s excellent. Great sound within 10,000 square feet. Good to 20,000, diffuse but hearable at 40,000. And fits in my backpack.

Fed lossless from the zx300, it’s perfect in my living room, or the warehouse.

No, it’s no replacement for even a midrange set of speakers at home. But it’s close.
I have a Dali Katch not used for ages. Brought it on holiday and played over Bluetooth (Joh Hiatt The Eclipse Sessions and a few others) the base sounded almost distorted and buzzy. Like the volume was cranked up too high (it wasn't). Same source to Campfire Audio Andros absolutely perfect. Extremely odd wonder if there's something wrong with the speaker. Toggled sound settings to clear and improved at a relatively low volume but base still sounded muddy. Playing 24 bit hi res over bluetooth from a Astell and Kern SR15. Don't have my zx300 with me but assume it's be the same.

May 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #9,815 of 12,862
I have a Dali Katch not used for ages. Brought it on holiday and played over Bluetooth (Joh Hiatt The Eclipse Sessions and a few others) the base sounded almost distorted and buzzy. Like the volume was cranked up too high (it wasn't). Same source to Campfire Audio Andros absolutely perfect. Extremely odd wonder if there's something wrong with the speaker. Toggled sound settings to clear and improved at a relatively low volume but base still sounded muddy. Playing 24 bit hi res over bluetooth from a Astell and Kern SR15. Don't have my zx300 with me but assume it's be the same.
As someone who's used both the ZX300 and SR15, how do the two compare and which one do you prefer more?

May 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #9,816 of 12,862
As someone who's used both the ZX300 and SR15, how do the two compare and which one do you prefer more?
I can't give you an audiophile answer but I really enjoy them both. Listening ranges to staples like Springsteen/John Hiatt/Neil Young/John Moreland/Dylan/Bowie/Petty through to Cats on Trees, Aimee Mann, Al Stewart,Brian Fallon, Cowboy Junkies, Jayhawks, Drive by Truckers, Israel Nash, Jason Isbell, Manic Street Preachers. On balance if forced to choose I'd keep the SR15 but I can't give you any rational or analytical reason why. Doesn't really matter because I'm keeping them both. I'm on holiday at the moment and I only brought the SR15 with me so can't revisit zx300 for a couple of weeks.I also have the Opus 2 and have to say with iems I'm not sure I would say it's "better" than SR15 or Sony.

May 11, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #9,817 of 12,862
Can anyone else confirm this is the case? I could have sworn I read elsewhere that the WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable would allow use of the ZX300 as a transport that will send the digital signal to a DAC if you want connect something like the Modi MB to an amp. What is the purpose of this cable if it is not possible?

Well I can confirm that the WMC-NWH10 cable does allow the use of digital line out from the ZX300 to an external DAC. I just tried it with a Modi 3 and it works flawlessly connected to the USB input. I was powering the Modi with the included power supply, so not sure it will work with portable dacs that rely on the source for power through USB.

May 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #9,818 of 12,862
Well I can confirm that the WMC-NWH10 cable does allow the use of digital line out from the ZX300 to an external DAC. I just tried it with a Modi 3 and it works flawlessly connected to the USB input. I was powering the Modi with the included power supply, so not sure it will work with portable dacs that rely on the source for power through USB.

I have tried using the zx300 with the WMC-NWH10 cable with a Spectra NextDrive (uses power of source) and it doesn’t work. I think the zx300 will work only with powered dacs.

May 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #9,819 of 12,862
I have tried using the zx300 with the WMC-NWH10 cable with a Spectra NextDrive (uses power of source) and it doesn’t work. I think the zx300 will work only with powered dacs.

Yes, I can confirm this. The Modi 3 is supposed to work without external power if connected to source via USB input. However, it does not work this way when connected to ZX300. It only works with external power supply connected.

May 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #9,820 of 12,862
Looking for a recommendation on connecting the zx300 to an external amp.
I would like to use the Sony as source connected to a Bottlehead Crack. I was looking at a 4.4mm to RCA cable.

May 12, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #9,821 of 12,862
Has anyone else found that their ZX300 battery life just fell off a cliff? It’s a shame as the battery life is a USP of this DAP. I’m still gonna ride this mofo till the wheels fall off but I’m gonna be ready for a new DAP soon :frowning2:

And now it seems to have died completely. I can't get it to take a charge at all.

Are there any non-Sony DAPs with a 4.4mm port?

May 12, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #9,822 of 12,862
And now it seems to have died completely. I can't get it to take a charge at all.

Are there any non-Sony DAPs with a 4.4mm port?

Fiio M11 is coming out soon and it promises to be excellent. There's also the iBasso daps with the Amp 8 module.

May 12, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #9,824 of 12,862
I would still buy a used ZX300 or ZX2 for $350 instead of Fiio M11....

Why? The ZX2 runs on an outdated version of Android and isn't really viable any more and given my experience with Fiio daps the M11 will probably have a leg up on the ZX300 in a few areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back