Sony NW-ZX300
May 13, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #9,826 of 12,862
Well I can confirm that the WMC-NWH10 cable does allow the use of digital line out from the ZX300 to an external DAC. I just tried it with a Modi 3 and it works flawlessly connected to the USB input. I was powering the Modi with the included power supply, so not sure it will work with portable dacs that rely on the source for power through USB.

I'm thinking about getting this cable to try with an RME ADI-2 dac, does the digital line out work when the ZX300 is in bluetooth receiver mode do you know?

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #9,827 of 12,862
I'm thinking about getting this cable to try with an RME ADI-2 dac, does the digital line out work when the ZX300 is in bluetooth receiver mode do you know?

I can't help you with that one. I just received the ZX300 recently and have yet to try BT receiver mode. Are you trying to connect your ZX300 to your dac via the Sony cable and send music to your ZX300 via BT receiver mode from your phone or something? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I could give it a try.

May 13, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #9,828 of 12,862
I can't help you with that one. I just received the ZX300 recently and have yet to try BT receiver mode. Are you trying to connect your ZX300 to your dac via the Sony cable and send music to your ZX300 via BT receiver mode from your phone or something? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I could give it a try.

Yes, that's what I would like to do - my DAC is driving some speakers so this way I could send music from my phone to the ZX300 to play through the speakers.
I would appreciate it if you could test it, if not don't worry I will probably get the cable in the future anyway to see.

May 13, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #9,829 of 12,862
Yes, that's what I would like to do - my DAC is driving some speakers so this way I could send music from my phone to the ZX300 to play through the speakers.
I would appreciate it if you could test it, if not don't worry I will probably get the cable in the future anyway to see.

I'll try to remember to test it out tonight and get back to you!

May 13, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #9,830 of 12,862
Well I can confirm that the WMC-NWH10 cable does allow the use of digital line out from the ZX300 to an external DAC. I just tried it with a Modi 3 and it works flawlessly connected to the USB input. I was powering the Modi with the included power supply, so not sure it will work with portable dacs that rely on the source for power through USB.

I have that cable working with Mojo and Hugo 2. Pictures too.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-525#post-14539915

(I want to get another file source though, for my DACs; like a fan-less laptop/netbook. Or a phone with a replaceable battery. I don't want to wear out my ZX300 battery using it as a file source. Not when any source will do about the home, anyway. Just save my Z300 for walkabout. .... As just said by someone, the ZX300 batteries don't last forever.)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #9,831 of 12,862
Anybody experienced really fast battery depletion after few months of usage?

My unit is ZX300A, which is used moderately (up to 5 hours a day) seems to work only 5-6 hours on one charge. 9 months ago, when it was new it worked 15-20 hours on one charge.

Brightness is always set as low as possible. Volume don’t cross 55/120. Single ended, high gain. Only flacs 16/44.1 and mp3 320 are played. I have the „saving battery” option on. Is it the cause?

May 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #9,832 of 12,862

My unit is ZX300A, which is used moderately (up to 5 hours a day) seems to work only 5-6 hours on one charge. 9 months ago, when it was new it worked 15-20 hours on one charge.

Brightness is always set as low as possible. Volume don’t cross 55/120. Single ended, high gain. Only flacs 16/44.1 and mp3 320 are played. I have the „saving battery” option on. Is it the cause?
I've had mine for 18 months, would average only 5 hours a week - my battery lasts about the same although I do play flac 16/44 and higher mostly. Comparing to battery estimates of my previous 4 Sony daps I'm convinced there are some poor quality batteries used.
(by comparing I mean my previous Sony daps were always close to the Sony estimated usage with conservative settings and over the my usual 2 year period of use had minimal loss that time).

May 14, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #9,833 of 12,862
I've had mine for 18 months, would average only 5 hours a week - my battery lasts about the same although I do play flac 16/44 and higher mostly. Comparing to battery estimates of my previous 4 Sony daps I'm convinced there are some poor quality batteries used.
(by comparing I mean my previous Sony daps were always close to the Sony estimated usage with conservative settings and over the my usual 2 year period of use had minimal loss that time).
That’s bad :/

Any idea what to do? Try to get battery changed under the warranty?

May 14, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #9,834 of 12,862
That’s bad :/

Any idea what to do? Try to get battery changed under the warranty?
I believe that somewhere in the warranty it states that the battery should perform to the estimates for a certain amount of time - I think someone shared it before, unfortunately I bought mine overseas and didn't want to deal with international shipping.
Something I have never tried with my ZX300 is completely draining the battery (running down, then keep turning on until it won't boot) then fully charging which resets the battery indicator. I've had to do this when an older Sony dap had a battery issue where it would drop bars within 5 minutes and start flashing, but I feel that with my ZX300 it is just a sub-standard battery.
I'd look into the warranty if I were in your situation.

May 14, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #9,835 of 12,862

I don't think the battery would normally deteriorate to that extent, so like Hinomotocho said you might want to get it replaced.

May 14, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #9,836 of 12,862

Well, unfortunately, bluetooth receiver mode does not work via USB output. I just tested it out.

20190514_203724.jpg

May 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #9,838 of 12,862
I went to create a playlist but it seems that when naming the playlist I can't change to capital letters - I pressed, long-pressed the a/A input but it won't change, what am I missing here? I have an older playlist I created a few months back that has a capital first letter so it has worked in the past.

May 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #9,839 of 12,862
I went to create a playlist but it seems that when naming the playlist I can't change to capital letters - I pressed, long-pressed the a/A input but it won't change, what am I missing here? I have an older playlist I created a few months back that has a capital first letter so it has worked in the past.
Just tried this on the WM1Z. Enter the letter, followed by a/A, to get capital letters. It's not that obvious, as normally, on phones, the sequence is reversed. I had to experiment a bit to figure this out.

May 15, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #9,840 of 12,862
Just tried this on the WM1Z. Enter the letter, followed by a/A, to get capital letters. It's not that obvious, as normally, on phones, the sequence is reversed. I had to experiment a bit to figure this out.
Thanks for that - I must've fluked it the other time, not a major one but you know the old OCD with file/tag names is hard to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back