Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #12,856 of 12,862
The firmware image is encrypted, so the only way to possibly make a change is via custom firmware. Maybe MrWalkman can do that.
I think he has said he can't access that part of it.
I'd like to have a few tweaks:

- no library rebuild after start-ups
- prevent battery drain while in standby and off
- boot straight into last position (not just track)

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #12,857 of 12,862
I think the issue with the "Library rebuild" is fair comment, but needs some thought. What's really required is a check on whether there have been any changes since the last startup. There are two processes - "Rebuild Database" and "Update Database" (although the Sony OS shows both when running as "Rebuilding Database"). Update is what the NW-ZX300 does as standard - it makes sure that any additions are added to the library, whereas Rebuild database goes back to the input data files and rebuilds the database from scratch. The Sony Music app on the Sony/Android NW-ZX507 has the same two options, but each has to be initiated manually, so although new music files may have been added or modified, you won't see them until you Update the database.
Ideally, when new/changed material has been added to the database on the NW-ZX300, the Update Database routine should kick in automatically at start-up, otherwise go straight to the Music screens..
A possible blocker is that some synchronisation routines may make trivial changes to files, such that at start-up after a synchronisation an Update Database process will always be triggered...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #12,858 of 12,862
I've found that the "Update Database" function doesn't always work correctly. What I've seen is if I update a manual playlist, the new or replaced track isn't reflected in the playlist. I have to either delete the playlist, have the update run and then reload the playlist. Otherwise I have to do "Rebuild Database" to get the playlist updated.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #12,860 of 12,862
I've found that the "Update Database" function doesn't always work correctly. What I've seen is if I update a manual playlist, the new or replaced track isn't reflected in the playlist. I have to either delete the playlist, have the update run and then reload the playlist. Otherwise I have to do "Rebuild Database" to get the playlist updated.
I found managing playlists on the NW-ZX300 very awkward, so I build and amend playlists on my Mac in the Apple Music application and store them in my Music folder (after a bit of fiddling with the file path and format). That way when I sync Music to the NW-ZX300 the playlists automatically get updated. For info I use Bombich Carbon Copy Cloner for the sync, which can be set up to start synchronisation as soon as I attach the NW-ZX300 to my Mac via USB, and eject the DAP when Sync is complete. It willl also differentiate between the nateve and SD card memory.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #12,861 of 12,862
Anyone have comparisons between zx-300 and pha-3?
One is a stand alone full dap and the other is a dac/amp so very different. Have never heard the pha-3

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #12,862 of 12,862
I found managing playlists on the NW-ZX300 very awkward, so I build and amend playlists on my Mac in the Apple Music application and store them in my Music folder (after a bit of fiddling with the file path and format). That way when I sync Music to the NW-ZX300 the playlists automatically get updated. For info I use Bombich Carbon Copy Cloner for the sync, which can be set up to start synchronisation as soon as I attach the NW-ZX300 to my Mac via USB, and eject the DAP when Sync is complete. It willl also differentiate between the nateve and SD card memory.
When I'm creating a new playlist I use Metadatics on my Mac to gather the songs I want in my playlist. From there in Metadatics I do an export to get the files with path (I use the same folder structure for my source files and on my WM1A/Z and ZX300). Then I manually edit the export file with BBEdit to clean up the path and create the playlist. Depending on the number of changed files and/or playlists I'll either use the Finder to copy them or Carbon Copy Cloner.

For listening to music on the Mac I use Audirvāna Origin as I gave up on iTunes/Music years ago due to it's lack of support for DSD, FLAC and how it adds extra ID3 tags that I don't need on the Sony (which I had to strip out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back