Sony NW-ZX300
May 2, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #9,751 of 12,862
So this week I had a chance to a-b-c my ZX300 with a Cowon Plenue R and a Questyle QP2R. The Questyle rocked my DSD files better than any other player I've tried-- for the first time I actually felt I could hear a significant difference. The Plenue didn't sound so good out of the box but improved immensely once I applied JetEffect. With all my flac files though, the difference was less obvious. On the whole all 3 sounded amazing and I struggled to hear a discernible difference between them. The ZX300 is easily my favorite player of the 3 for its battery life, portability and that certain sexy "je ne sais quoi" that Sony puts into its devices. I'm starting to believe that significant differences in sound quality among DAPs-- at least in regards to easy-to-drive IEMs like the Solaris-- is largely an illusion. Love the ZX300 for everything but it's playlist utility.
Not sure if you knew, but if playlists are something you use often, you can use the Rockbox tool to switch the OS to the Japanese version, which is arguably the best because their version has the capability to create playlists within the device itself, although you do lose the option to change languages. Shouldn't be an issue though as you can just set your preferred language beforehand and I doubt there's a reason for one to change it anyway.

May 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #9,752 of 12,862
Not sure if you knew, but if playlists are something you use often, you can use the Rockbox tool to switch the OS to the Japanese version, which is arguably the best because their version has the capability to create playlists within the device itself, although you do lose the option to change languages. Shouldn't be an issue though as you can just set your preferred language beforehand and I doubt there's a reason for one to change it anyway.
Actually the recent update (2.?) added the playlist feature to the non-Japanese models.

May 2, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #9,753 of 12,862
Actually the recent update (2.?) added the playlist feature to the non-Japanese models.

Yup. The problem isn't not being able to make playlists on the device-- it's the stupid 3 second pause after every song gets added to a playlist. It renders the feature almost useless imho.

May 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #9,754 of 12,862
Yup. The problem isn't not being able to make playlists on the device-- it's the stupid 3 second pause after every song gets added to a playlist. It renders the feature almost useless imho.
Yes, I'm waiting for the update that addresses that. I wanted that feature for years - A15>ZX100>ZX300, now I hardly use it as it takes too long.

May 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,755 of 12,862
Okay, my final verdict re: Sony NW-ZX300 vs HIby R6 Pro:

Form Factor​
  • The Sony is small and portable. I got a good protective case for it and carry it in my pocket.
  • The R6 Pro is heavy and feels like a small brick. I put the Hiby leather case on it, but I'm afraid of breaking it, so I carry it around in an external hard drive case.
Capabilities​
  • Both players can act as an external DAC via USB.
  • Both players have Bluetooth 4.2 and access to the LDAC Bluetooth codec.
  • The R6 Pro has Android 8.1, while the ZX300 runs a customized Sony OS.
  • The R6 Pro has access to wi-fi, streaming music services, and the Google Play store, while the ZX300 can only play locally-stored music.
  • The ZX300's OS is more efficient than Android and its GUI runs much smoother than the R6 Pro's.
Sound​
  • Both players are a little warmer than neutral. They share a similar sound quality overall.
  • Both players allow you to use EQ and other software to "adjust" the sound to your liking. I preferred to listen to them with their default settings.
  • The R6 Pro has better transients and more of a "you are there" feel to the music.
  • The R6 Pro is more powerful, can push higher impedance headphones, and goes louder, much louder than the ZX300.
  • The ZX300 is the cooler customer of the two. It keeps a tight rein on music, even when its volume is near the top of its range. The R6 Pro loses composure at higher volumes, especially with complicated passages.
Verdict (just my opinion)​
  • The ZX300 is easier to use and is perfect for commuting and traveling.
  • The R6 Pro, due to its form factor and complexity, is best used at the office or at home.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #9,756 of 12,862
I've been listening to the ZX300 for 1 week now, and one thing is sure: I love it!

The issue is now to find IEMs that are suitable to my tastes - I have a tendency to favor solid bass and mids, with slightly recess trebble.

So far, none of my headphones has been a proper fit for the ZX300. The HD650 and the ZMF Atticus need more power than the ZX300 can provide, although the Atticus didn't sound bad at all (I was using them on high gain, of course, but on the single ended output). The Oppo PM-3 isn't too bad, but needs as much power as the Senn and ZMF, and is uncomfortable due to the cups being too shallow. The V-Moda M-100 is pretty good, but has a tendency to get muddy when there's too much going on.

Of all my IEMs that are still in working order, the Sennheiser IE8 is the most decent, but still not satisfying. I miss my Shure SE530, whose left channel died over 10 years ago. If I remember well, it was really good, and the IE8 that replaced it was never up to its level.

So far (and it can change, of course) I'm still researching possible IEMs in the $500 to $600 range, and possibly distributed in the US. The AKG N40 is still on the list, but I've added a couple more, and would like to know if anybody in this thread can give me some insight about them: the Shure SE535, which in theory I should like, since I liked its predecessor, and the Empire Bravado, which can be sold with a 4.4 balanced cable.

Thanks!

If you're making budget up to $600, you might get lucky and drop on AKG N5005 discounted. At that price it would be impossible to pass up. It has happened on Amazon.

May 3, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #9,759 of 12,862
Something Sony needs to address with the ZX300: the Recently Added function. It is terrible.

And their DESPERATELY needs to be a quick and easy 'favorites' feature.

May 4, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #9,760 of 12,862
I just replaced my Sandisk 256gb card with a Sandisk 400gb card and it feels like it creates the database faster - I think the speed specs are the same.

May 4, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #9,762 of 12,862
May 4, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #9,764 of 12,862
I

I’ve got thousands of tracks on it but I feel I get the same ones up front when I hit random. I could be just being crazy though lol
I don't turn mine off and think it does eventually get to most of them. I probably have around 7800 tracks and they are in no way labeled properly! The player will go through all of the tracks labeled unknown, meaning they have a title only and then cycle through the rest.

May 4, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #9,765 of 12,862
Okay, my final verdict re: Sony NW-ZX300 vs HIby R6 Pro:

Form Factor​
  • The Sony is small and portable. I got a good protective case for it and carry it in my pocket.
  • The R6 Pro is heavy and feels like a small brick. I put the Hiby leather case on it, but I'm afraid of breaking it, so I carry it around in an external hard drive case.
Capabilities​
  • Both players can act as an external DAC via USB.
  • Both players have Bluetooth 4.2 and access to the LDAC Bluetooth codec.
  • The R6 Pro has Android 8.1, while the ZX300 runs a customized Sony OS.
  • The R6 Pro has access to wi-fi, streaming music services, and the Google Play store, while the ZX300 can only play locally-stored music.
  • The ZX300's OS is more efficient than Android and its GUI runs much smoother than the R6 Pro's.
Sound​
  • Both players are a little warmer than neutral. They share a similar sound quality overall.
  • Both players allow you to use EQ and other software to "adjust" the sound to your liking. I preferred to listen to them with their default settings.
  • The R6 Pro has better transients and more of a "you are there" feel to the music.
  • The R6 Pro is more powerful, can push higher impedance headphones, and goes louder, much louder than the ZX300.
  • The ZX300 is the cooler customer of the two. It keeps a tight rein on music, even when its volume is near the top of its range. The R6 Pro loses composure at higher volumes, especially with complicated passages.
Verdict (just my opinion)​
  • The ZX300 is easier to use and is perfect for commuting and traveling.
  • The R6 Pro, due to its form factor and complexity, is best used at the office or at home.
Thank you for your review. I love tonality of ZX300 - great match with SE846, revealing their bass potential however when I compare it to my LG G7 I feel that I miss many details even in low end, LG goes deeper and faster. Do you think Hiby brings up more details? Since you’ve mentioned transients. How Hibys mids and highs compare to ZX? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back