Sony NW-ZX300
May 4, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #9,766 of 12,862
Thank you for your review. I love tonality of ZX300 - great match with SE846, revealing their bass potential however when I compare it to my LG G7 I feel that I miss many details even in low end, LG goes deeper and faster. Do you think Hiby brings up more details? Since you’ve mentioned transients. How Hibys mids and highs compare to ZX? Thank you

Any differences between the base sound of the NW-ZX300 and the R6 Pro are very minor. The level of details is equal in both models. The mids and highs are pretty much the same. That's why I only listed a few differences in my write-up. Unless you need more power, better transients, and Android, your ZX300 is equal to the R6 Pro. If you want to change the sound, you'd be better off using EQ, buying different headphones, or looking at a different model DAP.

[EDIT: The additional power available with the R6 Pro would get you better bass if your headphones are capable of it.]

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,767 of 12,862
Okay, my final verdict re: Sony NW-ZX300 vs HIby R6 Pro:

Form Factor​
  • The Sony is small and portable. I got a good protective case for it and carry it in my pocket.
  • The R6 Pro is heavy and feels like a small brick. I put the Hiby leather case on it, but I'm afraid of breaking it, so I carry it around in an external hard drive case.
Capabilities​
  • Both players can act as an external DAC via USB.
  • Both players have Bluetooth 4.2 and access to the LDAC Bluetooth codec.
  • The R6 Pro has Android 8.1, while the ZX300 runs a customized Sony OS.
  • The R6 Pro has access to wi-fi, streaming music services, and the Google Play store, while the ZX300 can only play locally-stored music.
  • The ZX300's OS is more efficient than Android and its GUI runs much smoother than the R6 Pro's.
Sound​
  • Both players are a little warmer than neutral. They share a similar sound quality overall.
  • Both players allow you to use EQ and other software to "adjust" the sound to your liking. I preferred to listen to them with their default settings.
  • The R6 Pro has better transients and more of a "you are there" feel to the music.
  • The R6 Pro is more powerful, can push higher impedance headphones, and goes louder, much louder than the ZX300.
  • The ZX300 is the cooler customer of the two. It keeps a tight rein on music, even when its volume is near the top of its range. The R6 Pro loses composure at higher volumes, especially with complicated passages.
Verdict (just my opinion)​
  • The ZX300 is easier to use and is perfect for commuting and traveling.
  • The R6 Pro, due to its form factor and complexity, is best used at the office or at home.

Good summary-- another solid in favor of the ZX300 is its battery life. I get 12 hours with EQ and all the goodies activated-- and much more through direct out. From what I've read of the R6 Pro it's thoroughly in the typical "meh" battery life zone of 8-10 hours if you're lucky. The only real lack in the ZX300 is a quick and easy "favorites" feature and more playlist functionality. Everything else is perfect and I've sampled enough DAPs recently to conclude that, sound-wise, there isn't much, if anything, to better it in the price range. Also, I'm not one to lean on "burn in" too much...but now that my ZX300 is pushing the mythical 200 hours I have to say that I've noticed more of an improvement in sound than with any other device I've had that's hit its burn in mark. It could just be my imagination though. I love my ZX300 and I can't see it usurped in my portable life any time soon.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #9,768 of 12,862
I just replaced my Sandisk 256gb card with a Sandisk 400gb card and it feels like it creates the database faster - I think the speed specs are the same.
Interesting upgrade! Just got my 256GB last month - still 120+GB free. One day I'll do the same .. :)

May 4, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,769 of 12,862
Good summary-- another solid in favor of the ZX300 is its battery life. I get 12 hours with EQ and all the goodies activated-- and much more through direct out. From what I've read of the R6 Pro it's thoroughly in the typical "meh" battery life zone of 8-10 hours if you're lucky. The only real lack in the ZX300 is a quick and easy "favorites" feature and more playlist functionality. Everything else is perfect and I've sampled enough DAPs recently to conclude that, sound-wise, there isn't much, if anything, to better it in the price range. Also, I'm not one to lean on "burn in" too much...but now that my ZX300 is pushing the mythical 200 hours I have to say that I've noticed more of an improvement in sound than with any other device I've had that's hit its burn in mark. It could just be my imagination though. I love my ZX300 and I can't see it usurped in my portable life any time soon.
Yeap.. That 200 hours seem mythical. But anyway, sound seems a lot better compared brand new. My 4.4mm balanced port reached 240 hours already 1 month ago. Now still burning in 3.5mm SE port - another 20+ hours to go.. :)

May 4, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #9,770 of 12,862
Which would you buy as a companion to your ZX300? HiBy R6 Pro or iBasso DX 220? Why?

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #9,771 of 12,862
Which would you buy as a companion to your ZX300? HiBy R6 Pro or iBasso DX 220? Why?

Personally probably the DX220 for changeable amps and parametric EQ...I need to read more reviews of it though.

May 4, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #9,772 of 12,862
Interesting upgrade! Just got my 256GB last month - still 120+GB free. One day I'll do the same .. :)
I get the biggest card for my ZX300 then it flows down next to my tablet then my phone, my old 128gb phone card failed and I was near full on my 256gb so it was a great excuse to upsize. I figure this will do me for the next 2-3 years that extra 130+ gbs.

May 4, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #9,773 of 12,862
Question, trying to see if i can get the zx300 to work as a transport in an odd way. I just got an hrt microstreamer ii+ for dirt cheap, and already have the wm port cable to usb micro for the zx300. So if i get an adapter for micro to usb b to go into the hrt, do yal think it would work? I dont like the double amping sound im getting going from 4.4mm to rca into my different amps so figured id give this a try. If it doesnt work ill jusy hook the hrt up to my pc so its not a huge deal just wondering if it may be possible

May 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #9,774 of 12,862
Personally probably the DX220 for changeable amps and parametric EQ...I need to read more reviews of it though.

If your intent is to get a similar-sounding player with Android, the R6 Pro is a good choice. I haven’t heard the DX220, but as @Rockwell75 said above, it has changeable amps, so presumably you can change the sound. Personally I would look for something that sounds different, whether that is the DX220 or something else.

May 4, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #9,775 of 12,862
I've been listening to the ZX300 for 1 week now, and one thing is sure: I love it!

The issue is now to find IEMs that are suitable to my tastes - I have a tendency to favor solid bass and mids, with slightly recess trebble.

So far, none of my headphones has been a proper fit for the ZX300. The HD650 and the ZMF Atticus need more power than the ZX300 can provide, although the Atticus didn't sound bad at all (I was using them on high gain, of course, but on the single ended output). The Oppo PM-3 isn't too bad, but needs as much power as the Senn and ZMF, and is uncomfortable due to the cups being too shallow. The V-Moda M-100 is pretty good, but has a tendency to get muddy when there's too much going on.

Of all my IEMs that are still in working order, the Sennheiser IE8 is the most decent, but still not satisfying. I miss my Shure SE530, whose left channel died over 10 years ago. If I remember well, it was really good, and the IE8 that replaced it was never up to its level.

So far (and it can change, of course) I'm still researching possible IEMs in the $500 to $600 range, and possibly distributed in the US. The AKG N40 is still on the list, but I've added a couple more, and would like to know if anybody in this thread can give me some insight about them: the Shure SE535, which in theory I should like, since I liked its predecessor, and the Empire Bravado, which can be sold with a 4.4 balanced cable.

Thanks!

You should give the Inearz Zen4 a try. I was on the tour last year. They held up very well against my 64 Audio u12's. They also fit your tendencies very well, IMHO.

https://www.inearz.com/product/zen-4/

May 6, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #9,777 of 12,862
Looking for some help on how to get the zx300 to work with my schist modi multibit? I bought the nwh10 cable but it does not send any data to the dac. Any suggestion would be appreciated.thanks

Supposedly, it doesn't. The Sony does not have digital line out, just analog via headphone out. I asked everyone including Sony directly and all I got was no's.

Shane D

Can anyone else confirm this is the case? I could have sworn I read elsewhere that the WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable would allow use of the ZX300 as a transport that will send the digital signal to a DAC if you want connect something like the Modi MB to an amp. What is the purpose of this cable if it is not possible?

May 6, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #9,778 of 12,862
Can anyone else confirm this is the case? I could have sworn I read elsewhere that the WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable would allow use of the ZX300 as a transport that will send the digital signal to a DAC if you want connect something like the Modi MB to an amp. What is the purpose of this cable if it is not possible?

A couple of guys told me that the cable that is mentioned does work.

I was going to buy a DAC tomorrow and a guy on that thread (Cambridge DAC Magic plus) said the Cambridge DAC would not recognize the Sony products.

I am waiting for him to confirm that he was using that cable.

Hhhhmmmm....

Shane D

May 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #9,779 of 12,862
59748933_522134481653691_4660896795927248896_n.jpg

I couldn't find high gain option on this ZX300, is there anyone got the same problem :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back