Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #9,736 of 12,862
Please note my previous boob and amendment as just dug out the cable to try again.

Earlier in this thread there is mention of the NWH10 dock. Although I can't comment personally on it feedback on a question was if it is compatible with the 300 and the reply was yes. Bit more than I'd like to spend on a simple dock.

Thanks for confirming. That explains why nobody has mentioned using an LOD with the new Sony DAPs. I don't think that NWH10 dock works either since it appears to only support digital out.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #9,737 of 12,862
Evidently I was delivered a ZX300 that needs to have the sd card reformatted first before downloading my music to the card. When I connect my player to my Mac, click on player in Finder, click on Music folder within player, all my music is there that I transferred to the folder. But with the sd card installed on Player, the only songs available are those that were preinstalled.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #9,738 of 12,862
Evidently I was delivered a ZX300 that needs to have the sd card reformatted first before downloading my music to the card. When I connect my player to my Mac, click on player in Finder, click on Music folder within player, all my music is there that I transferred to the folder. But with the sd card installed on Player, the only songs available are those that were preinstalled.
Yeah I had to reformat my SD Card and re-add the the music for the DAP to see it too

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #9,739 of 12,862
All music must be in the folder MUSIC on the SD Card to be seen by the ZX-300.

May 1, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #9,742 of 12,862
I've been listening to the ZX300 for 1 week now, and one thing is sure: I love it!

ZX300.jpeg

The issue is now to find IEMs that are suitable to my tastes - I have a tendency to favor solid bass and mids, with slightly recess trebble.

So far, none of my headphones has been a proper fit for the ZX300. The HD650 and the ZMF Atticus need more power than the ZX300 can provide, although the Atticus didn't sound bad at all (I was using them on high gain, of course, but on the single ended output). The Oppo PM-3 isn't too bad, but needs as much power as the Senn and ZMF, and is uncomfortable due to the cups being too shallow. The V-Moda M-100 is pretty good, but has a tendency to get muddy when there's too much going on.

Of all my IEMs that are still in working order, the Sennheiser IE8 is the most decent, but still not satisfying. I miss my Shure SE530, whose left channel died over 10 years ago. If I remember well, it was really good, and the IE8 that replaced it was never up to its level.

So far (and it can change, of course) I'm still researching possible IEMs in the $500 to $600 range, and possibly distributed in the US. The AKG N40 is still on the list, but I've added a couple more, and would like to know if anybody in this thread can give me some insight about them: the Shure SE535, which in theory I should like, since I liked its predecessor, and the Empire Bravado, which can be sold with a 4.4 balanced cable.

Thanks!

May 1, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #9,743 of 12,862
Why don't you try the Audeze iSine 20 or iSine 10? Those Semi openback inear headphones sound so good, airy, foward mid and deep bass and wide soundstage... EQ may be needed anyway
I've been listening to the ZX300 for 1 week now, and one thing is sure: I love it!

The issue is now to find IEMs that are suitable to my tastes - I have a tendency to favor solid bass and mids, with slightly recess trebble.

So far, none of my headphones has been a proper fit for the ZX300. The HD650 and the ZMF Atticus need more power than the ZX300 can provide, although the Atticus didn't sound bad at all (I was using them on high gain, of course, but on the single ended output). The Oppo PM-3 isn't too bad, but needs as much power as the Senn and ZMF, and is uncomfortable due to the cups being too shallow. The V-Moda M-100 is pretty good, but has a tendency to get muddy when there's too much going on.

Of all my IEMs that are still in working order, the Sennheiser IE8 is the most decent, but still not satisfying. I miss my Shure SE530, whose left channel died over 10 years ago. If I remember well, it was really good, and the IE8 that replaced it was never up to its level.

So far (and it can change, of course) I'm still researching possible IEMs in the $500 to $600 range, and possibly distributed in the US. The AKG N40 is still on the list, but I've added a couple more, and would like to know if anybody in this thread can give me some insight about them: the Shure SE535, which in theory I should like, since I liked its predecessor, and the Empire Bravado, which can be sold with a 4.4 balanced cable.

Thanks!

May 2, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #9,748 of 12,862
I had thought about it at one point, and then kinda forgot :D I will look into it again. That may be a very good option. Thanks!
I haven't tried the isine but I have the LCD i4 and I love it. Idk if I'd say it has recessed treble. It just isn't as prominent as it is in everything nowadays. It has a very balanced and alive sound. Might be worth it to save up and buy a used i4. I got mine last week for 1100 usd

May 2, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #9,750 of 12,862
So this week I had a chance to a-b-c my ZX300 with a Cowon Plenue R and a Questyle QP2R. The Questyle rocked my DSD files better than any other player I've tried-- for the first time I actually felt I could hear a significant difference. The Plenue didn't sound so good out of the box but improved immensely once I applied JetEffect. With all my flac files though, the difference was less obvious. On the whole all 3 sounded amazing and I struggled to hear a discernible difference between them. The ZX300 is easily my favorite player of the 3 for its battery life, portability and that certain sexy "je ne sais quoi" that Sony puts into its devices. I'm starting to believe that significant differences in sound quality among DAPs-- at least in regards to easy-to-drive IEMs like the Solaris-- is largely an illusion. Love the ZX300 for everything but it's playlist utility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back