Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #9,256 of 12,862
I got this cable: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ords=4.4+mmcx&qid=1554325376&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It definitely sounds better, fuller, more resolving. Maybe I misunderstood but I had thought I was going to have to halve the level of volume on the ZX300 once switching to balanced. It might be a touch louder, but not by much.

All of my headphones are 3.5mm.

As far as volume goes, my situation was that if I normally listened in the 70 to 80 range on SE out, then I would listen at 60 to 70 out of balanced output.

Of course I should qualify that by saying that I don't listen loud. Anytime anybody trys out my set-up the first thing they do is turn up the volume. Even my wife.:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #9,257 of 12,862
anyone compare zx300 vs lg v30 SQ ?

I own both. They both sound good to me, which says a lot for the phone. My LG V30 is only used on the run, with cheaper headphones, in noisy environments.

Head to head I found them pretty similar. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the DAP a 10 and the phone a 9. I was a hardcore Samsung guy for many years, but this phone pulled me away.

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #9,258 of 12,862
It was still $100...I couldn't bring myself to drop the $300 on the ALO cable. The cable I got was very well reviewed and it seems to be having the effect I thought it would...but I've never heard of cables having a noticeable effect on volume before. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
What ALO cable is $300? I bought a Super Litz for $200 and a Pure Silver Litz for $250. These prices are decent for their performance. If you think they are high, check out PlusSound and Effect.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #9,259 of 12,862
What ALO cable is $300? I bought a Super Litz for $200 and a Pure Silver Litz for $250. These prices are decent for their performance. If you think they are high, check out PlusSound and Effect.

Sorry...its $241 shipped which is $300 Canadian.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #9,260 of 12,862
I got this cable: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ords=4.4+mmcx&qid=1554325376&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It definitely sounds better, fuller, more resolving. Maybe I misunderstood but I had thought I was going to have to halve the level of volume on the ZX300 once switching to balanced. It might be a touch louder, but not by much.

As far as volume goes, my situation was that if I normally listened in the 70 to 80 range on SE out, then I would listen at 60 to 70 out of balanced output.

Of course I should qualify that by saying that I don't listen loud. Anytime anybody trys out my set-up the first thing they do is turn up the volume. Even my wife.:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Ye for me as well on wm1a, i feel difference between bal and se around 10 to 15 steps

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #9,261 of 12,862
I own both. They both sound good to me, which says a lot for the phone. My LG V30 is only used on the run, with cheaper headphones, in noisy environments.

Head to head I found them pretty similar. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the DAP a 10 and the phone a 9. I was a hardcore Samsung guy for many years, but this phone pulled me away.

Shane D

thanks for your answer!
you think lg v20 similer to v30 SQ ?

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #9,262 of 12,862
thanks for your answer!
you think lg v20 similer to v30 SQ ?

I have never heard a V20 and they did have a bit of a record for "bricking". I was and would be leery of them.

I would be looking at V30, V35 and V40. My contract is up in November and I might just get a V50. Very happy with my LG phone.

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #9,263 of 12,862
I got my balanced cable in this morning. The most notable improvement seems to be in the overall weight of the sound and the resolution. The EQ seems to make a more noticeable difference as well. On thing that surprised me though is that I didn't have to decrease the volume at all-- I could still listen to everything at the same volume I was before. Is this normal?
Nice to see that your balanced cable arrived! Unfortunately things are being sorted out with mine and I still have to wait a little while before receiving mine :confused:
Also what exactly do you mean by weight? Sorry my terminology still isn't very good haha

Shane D
If your volumes are considered quiet, I don't know what mine are, as for my experience anything above 50 (on SE) is too loud for me to enjoy. Perhaps I just have sensitive ears?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #9,264 of 12,862
Nice to see that your balanced cable arrived! Unfortunately things are being sorted out with mine and I still have to wait a little while before receiving mine :confused:
Also what exactly do you mean by weight? Sorry my terminology still isn't very good haha

If your volumes are considered quiet, I don't know what mine are, as for my experience anything above 50 (on SE) is too loud for me to enjoy. Perhaps I just have sensitive ears?

You really do. I will be curious to see how you make out with the balanced output. 40????

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #9,266 of 12,862

Shane D

Ye for me as well on wm1a, i feel difference between bal and se around 10 to 15 steps

I figured out what my problem was. I forgot that on the ZX300 you turn on high gain for SE output and balanced output separately-- I had my SE on high gain and my balanced on low gain so when I switched to balanced I didn't notice a huge jump in volume. When I switched to high gain on balanced everything was as I originally thought it would be. Another thing I will say about balanced on the ZX300 is that the signal seems "cleaner"-- songs that would hiss notably do so less on balanced. On the whole it seems to be an unequivocal step up in sound quality. I definitely appreciate the increased responsiveness of the EQ.

The sound seems to have more density/presence...not really sure how to describe it. Doing some a/b with the volume matched the sound on balanced seems to have more weight to it.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #9,267 of 12,862
The dap is not finding my Galaxy S7 and when I try nfc I'm told the device is not supported. What gives? Bluetooth and nfc are enabled on both.

hi, i have done same mistake (misunderstood )
go back you will see dac icon and phone icon with signal .When you touch that phone icon then will be bluetooth receiver mode enabled and you can find zx with your phone

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #9,268 of 12,862

Hi, Rockwell75
i got mine too looks nice ,but I'm not too excited how it sounds. Just for a test i have here
fiio lc 4.4 and
3.5 litz that came with andromedas.
Sound is clearer, fuller but there is minus in bass.
With fiio and litz bass sounds more powerful and responding better with eq .
Maybe is time to do a return and buy litz balanced.

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #9,269 of 12,862
Has anyone seen/own this balanced cable for the MDR-1A? It's not fancy or anything, but do you guys think it's good? How would it compare to the standard balanced cable that comes with the 1AM2s?

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #9,270 of 12,862
Hi, Rockwell75
i got mine too looks nice ,but I'm not too excited how it sounds. Just for a test i have here
fiio lc 4.4 and
3.5 litz that came with andromedas.
Sound is clearer, fuller but there is minus in bass.
With fiio and litz bass sounds more powerful and responding better with eq .
Maybe is time to do a return and buy litz balanced.

Yeah definitely do a return if it doesn't work for you-- I found the opposite ie., there was an increase in bass presence and power as indicated in some of the reviews I'd read. Maybe the effect is different in the DD in my Solaris than it is in the BA in your Andro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back