Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #9,271 of 12,862
Can the ZX300 drive high-impendance fullsize can like 300 Ohms from balanced output, many are telling me they lack output power. I'm planning to buy my first fullsize like HD600/650, HE400i or some Beyer like Amiron? Thanks in advance.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #9,272 of 12,862
Can the ZX300 drive high-impendance fullsize can like 300 Ohms from balanced output, many are telling me they lack output power. I'm planning to buy my first fullsize like HD600/650, HE400i or some Beyer like Amiron? Thanks in advance.
I don't think the ZX300 was designed to drive those kinds of headphones, but through balanced with high gain enabled, it is definitely possible on high enough volumes.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9,273 of 12,862

I find that it drives my HiFiman HE4XX's just fine in balanced mode via high gain setting. Not sure if it would do justice to HD6XX's.

I bought the HD6XX's and then bought an iFi amp to drive them. It was 4.1Wpc, but it didn't do anything for me. I am one of the few that was not impressed with the HD6XX's.

Maybe try out the HD58X? The DAP would drive it just fine. Many reviewers compare it favourably to the HD660 and it's only 150 Ohm.

Just food for thought.

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #9,274 of 12,862
I figured out what my problem was. I forgot that on the ZX300 you turn on high gain for SE output and balanced output separately-- I had my SE on high gain and my balanced on low gain so when I switched to balanced I didn't notice a huge jump in volume. When I switched to high gain on balanced everything was as I originally thought it would be. Another thing I will say about balanced on the ZX300 is that the signal seems "cleaner"-- songs that would hiss notably do so less on balanced. On the whole it seems to be an unequivocal step up in sound quality. I definitely appreciate the increased responsiveness of the EQ.
Also to be added, with balanced the bass is more tighter impact and the soundstage feels more wider...

I have also red the same on reviews and discussions. Based on what I have read, even the WM1Z doesn't gives full power volume with Sony's flagship headphones, you need an amp, but you will get good sound quality from balanced in you can compromise the full loudness.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #9,275 of 12,862

I’m not sure if properly or not. I use them and they sound great in high gain with the HD6xx. In balanced and high gain I listen to volume around 70-90. I also use the headphones with the ALO Continental V5 and they sound great but different. I’m not sure if it’s because of the added power or due to the nuevos design of the amp. The only thing is that if you use the zx300 in balanced and high gain with high volume, the battery drains quicker.

I have also read that the zx300 might not have enough power but they sound very good with the zx300

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #9,276 of 12,862
I've used an hd6xx and Eikon on the zx300 and found it to power them surprisingly well. Don't expect them to sound as good as on a desktop setup though. Bass will be lacking, but vocals and instruments will sounds great.

Also, I wanted to give an update. Remember how I dropped my zx300 in the toilet? Well after 4 days of sitting in a bowl with moisture absorbing crystals I turned it on and it's been great for the last 2 days. Everything seems to be functional.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #9,277 of 12,862
Thanks so much for all of the responses :D I think for the time being i will continue to stick with my DM6 Kimber. Anyone tried paring ZX300 with BA300s ? BA300s will +3dB for the output and if i'm not wrong that x2 output power ?

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #9,278 of 12,862
Also, I wanted to give an update. Remember how I dropped my zx300 in the toilet? Well after 4 days of sitting in a bowl with moisture absorbing crystals I turned it on and it's been great for the last 2 days. Everything seems to be functional.
hopefully you can use for long term... any degrade in sound? I remember one phone of mine did work after de-moisture for 2 months, but finally the screen died although the phone was still functioning without display! Anyways wish you long luck...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #9,279 of 12,862

Good to hear man!

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #9,281 of 12,862
I've used an hd6xx and Eikon on the zx300 and found it to power them surprisingly well. Don't expect them to sound as good as on a desktop setup though. Bass will be lacking, but vocals and instruments will sounds great.

That's great news - I put my partners new Sony NWZ-B183 4GB mp3 player through the washing machine (how was I supposed to know she kept it in the pillow case?!) and dried it for a week before attempting to power on.
Unfortunately I think the button must have been pushed during the cycle and fried it as it never came back - lucky it was a good price on JoyBuy

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #9,282 of 12,862
I got this cable: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ords=4.4+mmcx&qid=1554325376&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It definitely sounds better, fuller, more resolving. Maybe I misunderstood but I had thought I was going to have to halve the level of volume on the ZX300 once switching to balanced. It might be a touch louder, but not by much.
You may be misinterpreting, or oversimplifying. The balanced output has more power available, both from the balanced differential amp section, and from the higher capacitor reserve(for peak power, like bass transients). This does not mean that at the balanced output is x times more volume at a similar volume setting. Think of it like a compact car with a 4 cylinder engine, versus a high powered Porsche. If your foot is on the same position on the accelerator, does the Porsche go at twice the speed?
It may, or it may not. It depends on how the circuits were implemented. i.e. you could make it double the volume/speed, but a competent engineer would not do that. At the same time, the engineer is not worried about making the same volume setting exactly the same for SE or Balanced. Just not a relevant concern.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #9,283 of 12,862
That's great news - I put my partners new Sony NWZ-B183 4GB mp3 player through the washing machine (how was I supposed to know she kept it in the pillow case?!) and dried it for a week before attempting to power on.
Unfortunately I think the button must have been pushed during the cycle and fried it as it never came back - lucky it was a good price on JoyBuy
Hmmm...Maybe you should have tried putting it through a Dryer cycle?

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #9,284 of 12,862
hopefully you can use for long term... any degrade in sound? I remember one phone of mine did worked after de-moisture, worked for 2 months, but finally the screen died although the phone was still functioning without display! Anyways wish you long luck...
I don't think so. It seems to sound the same as before. I hope so too! Thank you :) Sorry about your phone, though.
Good to hear man!
Thanks! It's definitely a relief.
Ouch. I think I got lucky because it was only in the water for a second or two before I snatched it up.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #9,285 of 12,862
Hmmm...Maybe you should have tried putting it through a Dryer cycle?
:joy:
Don't make me laugh, I might get tears on my ZX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back