Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #9,286 of 12,862
:joy:
Don't make me laugh, I might get tears on my ZX300
Happens more than you'd think, i remember that an ex of mine put a portable camara that i gave her for her birthday (yeah, people still use those) on the washing machine, tangled between clothes. Needless to say it was completely trashed, and now that i think about it we had broken up already so maybe it wasn't an actual mistake... oops, haha. No, but seriously, those things happen, be happy that it wasn't an expensive dap! imagine putting a ZX300 (or a 1Z!) on a washing machine.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #9,287 of 12,862
Happens more than you'd think, i remember that an ex of mine put a portable camara that i gave her for her birthday (yeah, people still use those) on the washing machine, tangled between clothes. Needless to say it was completely trashed, and now that i think about it we had broken up already so maybe it wasn't an actual mistake... oops, haha. No, but seriously, those things happen, be happy that it wasn't an expensive dap! imagine putting a ZX300 (or a 1Z!) on a washing machine.
Ahhh, you have pointed out a situation where the WM1Z is clearly superior, and would have protected itself through it's design. The one pound weight, you would have felt (hopefully, unless drunk when loading the washing machine). And when you threw it into the machine, the 1 lb hunk of copper impacting the sides might have alerted you.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #9,288 of 12,862
Alot of smartphones are now water resistant which is great peace of mind considering it goes everywhere with you and will survive a drop in a puddle or a spilt drink, daps on the other hand, I still get a subconscious anxiety attack anywhere near the toilet (when I'm doing housework) or drinks.
The Japanese ZX300 came with the port/plug caps, I got mine from Sony Japan when I was there - I think these are an essential add-on as a possible short term prevention of liquids getting in your ZX300. A spin in the washing machine, forget about it.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #9,289 of 12,862
Ahhh, you have pointed out a situation where the WM1Z is clearly superior, and would have protected itself through it's design. The one pound weight, you would have felt (hopefully, unless drunk when loading the washing machine). And when you threw it into the machine, the 1 lb hunk of copper impacting the sides might have alerted you.
Pretty sure you can also use a 1Z as a weapon, so it's also superior there, lol.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #9,290 of 12,862
You may be misinterpreting, or oversimplifying. The balanced output has more power available, both from the balanced differential amp section, and from the higher capacitor reserve(for peak power, like bass transients). This does not mean that at the balanced output is x times more volume at a similar volume setting. Think of it like a compact car with a 4 cylinder engine, versus a high powered Porsche. If your foot is on the same position on the accelerator, does the Porsche go at twice the speed?
It may, or it may not. It depends on how the circuits were implemented. i.e. you could make it double the volume/speed, but a competent engineer would not do that. At the same time, the engineer is not worried about making the same volume setting exactly the same for SE or Balanced. Just not a relevant concern.
Exactly! Balanced port just gives the power to drive power hungry headphones. It doesn't provide louder volume than standard 3.5mm. Only additional is 4.4mm is better improvement in sound signature. For the last two days I have been only using a 3.5mm cable and a 4.4 mm adapter to use balance and I listened same track with high gain and same volume, compared both ports side by side, no loudness doesn't differ.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #9,291 of 12,862
Exactly! Balanced port just gives the power to drive power hungry headphones. It doesn't provide louder volume than standard 3.5mm. Only additional is 4.4mm is better improvement in sound signature. For the last two days I have been only using a 3.5mm cable and a 4.4 mm adapter to use balance and I listened same track with high gain and same volume, compared both ports side by side, no loudness doesn't differ.

Using a 4.4 adaptor to put on a 3.5mm jack with 3.5 termination?!? You’re lucky you haven’t fried your phones.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #9,292 of 12,862
Balanced is more that just power.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #9,293 of 12,862
Using a 4.4 adaptor to put on a 3.5mm jack with 3.5 termination?!? You’re lucky you haven’t fried your phones.
Please excuse me if I m not clarified. My adapter is - 3.5mm Male to 4.4mm Female to use with the 4.4mm Balanced Output port of ZX300.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #9,294 of 12,862
Edited again :

After reading your clarification, i think you still doing it wrong

Edited :

Read your clarification, forget about it :D

That as robulation said, and also you don't get the balanced advantage using 3.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter, unless your 3.5mm is trrs and not trs ( 3 rings not 2)

So you just risking damaging your devices + your not getting any balanced benefit .. if your using 3.5 trrs then its fine.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #9,295 of 12,862
Please excuse me if I m not clarified. My adapter is - 3.5mm Male to 4.4mm Female to use with the 4.4mm Balanced Output port of ZX300. It's useful when you don't have native 4.4mm balanced cable.

if you say It's useful when you don't have native 4.4mm balanced cable.

then the adapter is 3.5 female to 4.4 male, and not the the opposite as you mentioned, in that case it is not preferable to do so unless the 3.5mm is trrs.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #9,296 of 12,862
Tried the BlueTooth out in my 2017 BMW 340i yesterday. Paired easily and SQ is better than expected. It even stops when I got a telephone call on my iPhone X and resumes playing when call was over. Works just like a connected iPod except no wires. Nifty!

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #9,297 of 12,862
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #9,298 of 12,862
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #9,299 of 12,862
Please excuse me if I m not clarified. My adapter is - 3.5mm Male to 4.4mm Female to use with the 4.4mm Balanced Output port of ZX300.
I have this adapter, but does not output balance, it just allows you to a 4.4 headphone in a 3.5 socket.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #9,300 of 12,862
yes, sorry, I realized I mentioned wrong. I am suing this one from AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-4...ad-432a-94b5-6c3cfc35d233&transAbTest=ae803_3
Manufacturers, and users, do not recommend this. The 3.5 trs has the -R and -L grounds joined together. When connected to the 4.4mm, it shorts the separate grounds on the 4.4mm balanced output together. As the Balanced configuration has 2 separate amplifiers, with separated grounds, it is in general not recommended to short the grounds together. In previous discussions and speculation, it is felt that the manufacturer will protect the circuit in some way, against an accidental short, as they do not want to see a lot of warranty claims for damaged balanced section. But wiring it permanently shorted goes against the design, and was something that was not part of the engineering spec, or plans, and there would be concern about whether long term shorting of the grounds may cause problems. Even if it did not, I believe people would recommend against doing it. Why take chances? For me, it feels wrong, and I would not do it.

This brings up the subject of why stores sell these, if it is not recommended? Well, stores will give you what you want, and stores selling it does not change that it is not recommended And they have probably tested and found that it will work. It's a personal decision. I don't like doing it, but there are also people who feel that it works, and they have been using it that way for years, and there are no problems, so they are fine with it. Just be aware of the recommendations and concerns so you have all the data to make the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back