Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #9,226 of 12,862
Hi, thanks for the help.
Does that mean you can put the album art file (in regular jpeg) in the same folder as the song files, use PC file explorer to copy and paste the folder in the Zx300, and the device will automatically use the jpeg in the folder as the cover art for the files?

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #9,227 of 12,862
Hi, thanks for the help.
Does that mean you can put the album art file (in regular jpeg) in the same folder as the song files, use PC file explorer to copy and paste the folder in the Zx300, and the device will automatically use the jpeg in the folder as the cover art for the files?
I'm not sure if the device will automatically use it as the album art, but you could always use MP3Tag to embed the art too.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #9,228 of 12,862
I see. I don't mind the button elevation as it seems to be the intended design which I find interesting, but I'm not a big fan of the skewed volume buttons. It's not even that big of a deal but it's driving my OCD insane. Am I actually the only one here with skewed buttons?
Nope, I also have it, the black one also easily get scratched, I've have my zx2 for over 3 years, not a single scratched, my zx300 as minor scratch after about a week use.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #9,229 of 12,862
To convert the jpeg, with windows, just use paint, open the file, then save.

It's converted, and then use mp3tag, insert and the zx300 will see it.

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #9,230 of 12,862
Got my Litz Campfire Audio balanced cable for the Solaris and it does seem to make a good deal of a difference immediately, don't know if this has anything whatsoever to do with Sony not treating 3.5 equally. Not sure I can explain the differences accurately and I'm not going back and forth between the cables but this sounds more like it. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the 3.5 output. Better should be expected. The Solaris didn't come with a balanced cable by default and I never had the choice to get it shipped with one so you end up having to spend $150 extra for the same class of cable. But I would say ultimately it's probably worthwhile, should be handled better. I think I can live with this sound, let the 200 hours of burn-in commence. Another thing, if I wasn't on this forum I might not know that I should be going balanced. Manufacturers should try to guide consumers too imo.

I think this sound is fuller and bolder. I suppose this is what dynamic refers to though I still don't understand that word and what it has to do with frequency. Soundstage and separation are interesting, they might have been improved and they might suffice now but the sound is still not expansive, or close to it. It's not much to speak of aside from adequate perhaps. However, you can probably get lost in it overall as it is rather powerful now.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #9,231 of 12,862
Could it be volume change clicks ? Does it sound similar to or different than it ?

Different. I can hear the clicks when I ramp up the volume but it's not the same and I don't play at those levels.....

Sometimes when listening to pure dsf/DSD tracks (not LP rips) I feel like I'm listening to vinyl because there is like a needle-like crackle at the very start of all the tracks.

It is indeed .dsf I experience it with. I tried mp3 and FLAC without issue and also switched back to SE output again without issue playing the hires files.
There's only one click as it goes to start the next track but there are more clicks when controlling forward/back, play/pause etc or as I said using the time slider.
At least I'm not the only one to have this. Not the end of the world, just making sure there's nothing fundamentally wrong.....

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #9,232 of 12,862
I used to use MP3Tag but switched to TagScanner (for PC) and find the tagging options to recompress existing cover art makes it compatible with the ZX300 99.9% of the time.
I use Foobar on my PC but sometimes the tags that show up on there are different to what I see on my ZX300 - different art, but mostly different presentation of the track info.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #9,233 of 12,862
I tried to create playlists in the ZX300 but it is just so slow...

This is my only serious complaint about the ZX300-- making playlists is very cumbersome because after you add each track the device takes like 2 seconds to process it...I'm not sure why it does this as on other devices I've used it's instantaneous.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #9,234 of 12,862
Got my Litz Campfire Audio balanced cable for the Solaris and it does seem to make a good deal of a difference immediately, don't know if this has anything whatsoever to do with Sony not treating 3.5 equally. Not sure I can explain the differences accurately and I'm not going back and forth between the cables but this sounds more like it. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the 3.5 output. Better should be expected. The Solaris didn't come with a balanced cable by default and I never had the choice to get it shipped with one so you end up having to spend $150 extra for the same class of cable. But I would say ultimately it's probably worthwhile, should be handled better. I think I can live with this sound, let the 200 hours of burn-in commence. Another thing, if I wasn't on this forum I might not know that I should be going balanced. Manufacturers should try to guide consumers too imo.

I think this sound is fuller and bolder. I suppose this is what dynamic refers to though I still don't understand that word and what it has to do with frequency. Soundstage and separation are interesting, they might have been improved and they might suffice now but the sound is still not expansive, or close to it. It's not much to speak of aside from adequate perhaps. However, you can probably get lost in it overall as it is rather powerful now.

100% concur with this. The ZX300 definitely has a weaker 3.5mm output compared to the balanced output.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #9,235 of 12,862
I'm not sure if mine was a faulty or something, but I noticed that when it comes to the side buttons, the positive buttons (e.g fast-foward, volume up) are actually ever so slightly more elevated than the negative buttons (e.g rewind, volume down). Did/does anyone notice this too? You might be able to feel it with your fingers if you don't notice it visually.

I also noticed that the plus and minus buttons are a little skewed. I think this was more unintentional but if you guys have this too lemme know.

Forgot to reply to this, i checked my unit earlier and yup, slightly different elevation and i don't know if the plus/minus buttons are skewed, but i can definitely move them a bit so they get slightly skewed (don't know how to explain it). Thinking about it i noticed this when i first got the unit but paid no attention to it, got it shipped from japan so returning it for something minor was a big no. I work at a repair shop (electronics, computers, videogame stuff, you name it) and this is more common than you'd think, few electronics at consumer level are actually "perfect" (that's mass production for you), so i just learned to deal with it even if my slight OCD gets the best of me sometimes, lol. FWIW the little imperfections mean little imho, the zx300 is built like a tank. If it does bother you i'd advice getting a case, i got a leather one and completely forgot about those details, plus the black model is prone to scratches.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #9,237 of 12,862
Coming back to things after several hours of burn-in everything sounds mellower... sigh Apparently I also picked the regular litz cable rather than the superlitz one for $50 more. I think the only thing that makes this a hobby is the confusion.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #9,238 of 12,862
DSC_9820.JPG
Almost halfway there on SE!
(Sorry for the sub-par image quality btw)
Way to go, bro.. It won't be very long... BTW I just reached 300 hours this morning (230 hours on balanced + 70 hours on unbalanced).. Need another 130 hours more to go..

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #9,239 of 12,862

Way to go, bro.. It won't be very long... BTW I just reached 300 hours this morning (230 hours on balanced + 70 hours on unbalanced).. Need another 130 hours more to go..
Damn, that's much longer than where I am right now. How's the improvement in sound treating you? Personally I believe there might have been some improvement over the past 100 hours or so on SE, but whatever difference there may be wasn't very discernible.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #9,240 of 12,862
Damn, that's much longer than where I am right now. How's the improvement in sound treating you? Personally I believe there might have been some improvement over the past 100 hours or so on SE, but whatever difference there may be wasn't very discernible.
You are right, bro.. There are improvements but hardly discernible.. As they say "the law of diminishing returns" applies here.. I don't worry too much.. As long as my ZX300 gets better & better and gets closer to sound quality of NW-WM1A (when I cross-check at Sony store every now & then), I'm very happy..Now to reach 200 hours for 3.5 mm unbalanced port as well - in the pursuit of perfection, if you will..:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back