Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #7,066 of 12,862
I don't see how you can actually blame Sony Japan for their service, Sony has always operate after service warranty, in a regional way, and since you purchased a Japanese version, you were expecting warranty issue, if ever it had a problem, They are willing to repair it if you are within warranty period, but you have to be in Japan for their service center or, mail in repair is only available for domestic version or sent from a local address, if you purchased a tourist version, you should have a international warranty card for worldwide warranty service. Even without warranty, you can pay for the repair, in Japan or in your home country, they are willing to accept it.

I have both the ZX300 and ZX2, both the Japanese version and both purchased in Japan, nothing wrong with my ZX300, but I had my ZX2 change the LCD screen (it was my problem, the damage was my fault) and since they was going to do the repair, I had them to change the battery as well, it cost me a total approximate 22000 YEN (USD 200), a lot, but every time in Japan for holiday I'm willing to spend money, even if it's for repair, in my home country, Hong Kong, the same repair cost less, but I'm not will to pull the amount of cash out.

So that you know, why the ZX300 cost so cheap, the quality is not up to the standard of the ZX2 or the WM1A/1Z.

No hard feeling, just trying to explain a bit on how Sony do their work, and so you know, I will never have any Sony stuff repaired in Hong Kong, the worst customer service, same with Samsung. That why I'm willing to pay more and have them done in Japan.

I'm in Japan this November and will be visiting the Sony center for some spare part, I have already contacted them in advance so they have the parts available during my visit.

On a side note, have you contact Sony in your country, some times they will repair out of good will if it's still in warranty period for free.

Iam not blaming sony japan, iam blaming sony everywhere for a 1k+ device that died in a year (not for me only) , the device is like new hasnt fell or been dropped, but it died internally and they have regional policies so they cant stand up for their product, they dont want to take it in even if iam offering to pay the charges.

The product is not available here, and they directed me to call Japan, i wasted too many international calls that at some point sony us asked me to call sony brazil as they accepted devices from egypt, but he gave me a number to someone talking portuguese only.

Look i dont want to be that troll guy that goes round the forums calling sony bad names LOL

I was just giving feedback to the guy who had the same problem.

I am not blaming sony at all, iam blaming my self for not reading their policies thouroughly, so i will just keep silent and think of it as the device life expectancy, and i will put it on the shelf.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #7,067 of 12,862
Hi everybody,
I see that finally i’m not the only one with bootloops issues :frowning2:

As KingDixon says, I think that Sony need to be more « flexible » on their warranty conditions...

So, for the new owners:
- I own a zx300 since it was out
- 2 units in bootloops since beginning November 2017
- i’ve just solve one unit problem by send it back to the seller that gave it to Sony (HK), and they fix it by changing the « LogicBoard » under warranty
- then he send it back to me freshly repair and with no more problems
- the second one is Japanese one and as I have no contact there... I think it will stay forever in his box :frowning2:

So yes, I think the os is « fragile »... Sony says that if the device is stuck we just have te reset it but... (for me on 2 units)... Bootloops !

And yes, I think that for a so big entity, they should take international repair even if they make pay for that (cause I wanna pay to repair my japan unit but they don’t accept it)...

But the device is crazy so I bought another one ^^ and don’t regret my choice:
- great battery
- banlanced output
- 4.4mm jack
- usb dac
- mini size
- feel like a « monolith » in hands

I really felt in love for this little b**** ah ah !

By the way guys, i’ve just sold some AudioCampfire Andromeda, and i’ve some more things to sell:

- 1 Sony Rmw-nws20(brand new, never open).

- 1 Sony Wmp-nwm10 (brand new, never open).

- 1 Sony Nw-zx300 (brand new, box, buying receipt, warranty), just open to test it has no bootloop problem.

Everything is « brand new » & never used, if interressed, dm me please.

See ya zx300 addicts ^^

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #7,068 of 12,862
Is there anything the NWDestTool could do to fix the bootloop problem?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #7,069 of 12,862

If you mean the scsitool that reached us from the rockbox community,

As far as i tried with it, it is more of a reading tool, it gets info from the device, with only a small command programmed to set the destination and sound cap, thats the only thing this tool can set to the device, but i think it could be programmed to alter other data from the device, thats what made me think that if there is some data corrupted on the first sectors or the partition table of the nand flash and can be restored, then it might fix it, but i think it need 2 devices one working and one bricked also someone with expertise.

And since it is the only tool that could read my device and get its info, i tried to communicate with amaury the one responsible for sony page under rockbox, but he doesnt own a wm1a and he thinks it cant be done till now, i sent him more details but no reply yet.

My analysis till now which can be totally wrong, that shutting down while there is some operation in progress corrupts firmware of the internal storage, i think if there is a recovery tool or low level format to overwrite this firmware like alot created by different manufacturers of usb flash drives, it could be an easy fix.

What made be more confident about this idea, the reply of a repair center to a guy on the wm1a thread, that sony doesnt want to handle the board software tool or something like that.

Anyway nothing remains hidden for too long.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #7,070 of 12,862
Hi everybody,
I see that finally i’m not the only one with bootloops issues :frowning2:

As KingDixon says, I think that Sony need to be more « flexible » on their warranty conditions...

So, for the new owners:
- I own a zx300 since it was out
- 2 units in bootloops since beginning November 2017
- i’ve just solve one unit problem by send it back to the seller that gave it to Sony (HK), and they fix it by changing the « LogicBoard » under warranty
- then he send it back to me freshly repair and with no more problems
- the second one is Japanese one and as I have no contact there... I think it will stay forever in his box :frowning2:

So yes, I think the os is « fragile »... Sony says that if the device is stuck we just have te reset it but... (for me on 2 units)... Bootloops !

And yes, I think that for a so big entity, they should take international repair even if they make pay for that (cause I wanna pay to repair my japan unit but they don’t accept it)...

But the device is crazy so I bought another one ^^ and don’t regret my choice:
- great battery
- banlanced output
- 4.4mm jack
- usb dac
- mini size
- feel like a « monolith » in hands

I really felt in love for this little b**** ah ah !

By the way guys, i’ve just sold some AudioCampfire Andromeda, and i’ve some more things to sell:

- 1 Sony Rmw-nws20(brand new, never open).

- 1 Sony Wmp-nwm10 (brand new, never open).

- 1 Sony Nw-zx300 (brand new, box, buying receipt, warranty), just open to test it has no bootloop problem.

Everything is « brand new » & never used, if interressed, dm me please.

See ya zx300 addicts ^^

Me too. I owned the WM1Z and ditched it for the little bugger, I bought the cradle, remote, cover and all my cables are terminated in 4.4mm...

But right now I am too afraid and impatient to buy a new one and go through all this again. I had a talk with Paul from iBasso and placed an order for the DX150 with the amp8. I'll make you an offer for your zx300 if that doesn't work out :wink:

No, I tried a bunch of stuff. Not a programmer though...

If you mean the scsitool that reached us from the rockbox community,

As far as i tried with it, it is more of a reading tool, it gets info from the device, with only a small command programmed to set the destination and sound cap, thats the only thing this tool can set to the device, but i think it could be programmed to alter other data from the device, thats what made me think that if there is some data corrupted on the first sectors or the partition table of the nand flash and can be restored, then it might fix it, but i think it need 2 devices one working and one bricked also someone with expertise.

And since it is the only tool that could read my device and get its info, i tried to communicate with amaury the one responsible for sony page under rockbox, but he doesnt own a wm1a and he thinks it cant be done till now, i sent him more details but no reply yet.

My analysis till now which can be totally wrong, that shutting down while there is some operation in progress corrupts firmware of the internal storage, i think if there is a recovery tool or low level format to overwrite this firmware like alot created by different manufacturers of usb flash drives, it could be an easy fix.

What made be more confident about this idea, the reply of a repair center to a guy on the wm1a thread, that sony doesnt want to handle the board software tool or something like that.

Anyway nothing remains hidden for too long.

I will keep my unit for now (what else can I do) and maybe at a later point it will be fixable. With every other device these errors are usually pretty easy to fix by flashing or formatting but alas...

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #7,071 of 12,862
I've followed this thread since last year and have not heard of this bootloop issue before now. If this is caused by a glitch with something as simple as deleting a folder there should be firmware update to be able to prevent this. Or an official tool to reset your unit should be available on the Sony support page.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #7,072 of 12,862
I got my zx300 from malaysia and they gave me international warranty.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #7,073 of 12,862
I've followed this thread since last year and have not heard of this bootloop issue before now. If this is caused by a glitch with something as simple as deleting a folder there should be firmware update to be able to prevent this. Or an official tool to rest your unit should be available on the Sony support page.

Agreed, shouldn't be that hard.

I got my zx300 from malaysia and they gave me international warranty.

I might have warranty as well, but as mine is modded I don't want it exchanged for a new one. Also they only carry the zx300a in Asia...

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #7,074 of 12,862
Hello
I am interested in this player but I have to clarify a fundamental doubt about the power output of headphone jacks (both unbalanced and balanced).
I am currently using a Shanling M2S with an output impedance of 4.8 ohms and the result is good at the sound power level.
Does Sony NW-ZX300 output impedance offer more output power than the Shanling M2S?

I use the following Iems and headphones:
JH Audio Michelle
JH Audio Rosie
Denon AH-D7200 (impedance of 32 but likes the loud volume)

I'm a bit deaf and I like to listen at a high volume.
I suppose that with JH there should be no problem but with the Denon I do not have anything clear.
The power of the Sony NW-WM1A is much higher to pay the difference in price or not worth it?

Can you clarify my doubts please?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #7,075 of 12,862
I wonder if anyone has ended in a bootloop if one

1. never administers (deles songs, folders or otherwise) the music directly from zx300
2. always takes the microsd card out and mounts on/transfers from a computer, and administers the content from the computer. I am doing this anyway, as it gives me usb3 speeds instead of the usb2 I get when mounting the whole zx300 (on macbook pro from '12). I have the 300a with 400gb card so I don't care much for the internal memorys accessibility anyway.
3. never shuts it down while it is doing something

Please speak up if you can reject that this is safe.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #7,077 of 12,862
I wonder if anyone has ended in a bootloop if one

1. never administers (deles songs, folders or otherwise) the music directly from zx300
2. always takes the microsd card out and mounts on/transfers from a computer, and administers the content from the computer. I am doing this anyway, as it gives me usb3 speeds instead of the usb2 I get when mounting the whole zx300 (on macbook pro from '12). I have the 300a with 400gb card so I don't care much for the internal memorys accessibility anyway.
3. never shuts it down while it is doing something

Please speak up if you can reject that this is safe.
I delete songs and albums (folders) from the zx300 directly and seldom take out the card while transferring music. Just hook up the zx300 directly to the PC to transfer music.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #7,078 of 12,862
I delete songs and albums (folders) from the zx300 directly and seldom take out the card while transferring music. Just hook up the zx300 directly to the PC to transfer music.
Well as I understand it both things have resulted in bootloop. Deleting files (Blommen, "unit was stuck deleting a folder and I restarted it") and transferring directly to zx300 (Brice, twice, once from PC and once from mac). Thats why I am suggesting not to do it.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #7,079 of 12,862
Well as I understand it both things have resulted in bootloop. Deleting files (Blommen, "unit was stuck deleting a folder and I restarted it") and transferring directly to zx300 (Brice, twice, once from PC and once from mac). Thats why I am suggesting not to do it.
Now that i am aware of it i shall take heed and follow your suggestion. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back