Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #7,006 of 12,862
Yes Amazon will automatically charge VAT for EU countries and deduct the Japanese sales tax.
probably correct for countries who does charge tax.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #7,007 of 12,862
To re-terminate a cable with pentaconn cost 6000 yen for one, I'm not sure if they will do it for you if you bring your own plug, but bringing your own cable is ok, I had three cables done at 6000 yen a piece for labour cost, and the three right angle pentaconn was purchased from them, two cable was my own and one came with the IEM I purchased from them on the same day.

They will normally tell you a few days to complete, but if you are in a rush, you can ask them if they can do it on the same day, which takes about 3-4 hours, but in theory, it should only take about 20-30 minutes. Most important, is whether they have the plugs in stock.

hope this helps.
Thank you for that helpful info. As I don't have the skills to do it myself and I don't know of a capable service in my country, knowing this service is available to me when I'm there opens up my options alot.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #7,008 of 12,862
My opportunity to purchase a ZX300 for £370 was a dead end so I've pulled the trigger on the ZX300A from Joybuy for £295. I hope it sneaks through customs but I've not had much luck with other stuff from China in the past.

I'll grab a 400GB card and balanced cable too and hope I made the right choice with this DAP. I suppose I can always EQ in some bass.:L3000:

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #7,009 of 12,862
Anyone know any mac apps that will allow me to convert cover art so they're compatible with zx300? If I remember correctly they need to be progressive jpgs?

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #7,010 of 12,862
Anyone know any mac apps that will allow me to convert cover art so they're compatible with zx300? If I remember correctly they need to be progressive jpgs?

Opposite - ZX300 (and generally all Sony DAPs, if memory serves) can't handle progressive JPGs, they need to be normal ones.
Can't help you on the mac app though :frowning2: - I'm strictly windows. Superuser1 posted some link to some program, earlier, but I think it was IrfanView for windows - maybe someboidy else can chime in, about the mac

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #7,013 of 12,862
I notice you also have the R6. Do you prefer the Sony or the Hiby? I'm not really that fussed about streaming but it is a slight shame the Sony doesn't allow for Spotify.
Of course this is only my personal preference, but in terms of the overall sound presentation and sound quality I prefer the Sony hands down. I do like the R6, especially it's build quality and UI speed, but at the end of the day it's all about the music and the Sony does it so well and effortlessly.
Plus if you do want to stream then it's a great DAC too (same EQ capabilities apply for the extra bass in your life!).

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,014 of 12,862
The Preview application can change formats and size but it's on a image by image basis.

Metadatics is $9.99 and in the Mac App Store.

This is a phenomenal application that allows for editing ID3 tags and can bulk change cover art in size and type.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #7,015 of 12,862
I use Winamp or Foobar for ID3 tag and use an old software called Ulead Express for handling photos for zx300. Paying an app for doing the above is out of the question for me. I am certified for the past 18 years.
The Preview application can change formats and size but it's on a image by image basis.

This is a phenomenal application that allows for editing ID3 tags and can bulk change cover art in size and type.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #7,016 of 12,862

Just had a quick look on the mac app store. This might be a stupid question, but with this app would I be able to quickly change the cover art to a format compatible with zx300? So any progressive jpgs could be converted to baseline jpgs?

Also all of my music is managed by iTunes. I only really use itunes in order to sync with my ipod classic which I use in my car and my old iphone which I tend to use for workouts. That said I am considering a long term strategy that will allow me to step away from using itunes. If I use this tool are you aware of any potential issues with itunes?

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #7,017 of 12,862
Yes, there is no choice on what type of JPG so the default must be baseline as I had a lot of cover art in PNG and converted to JPG or resized JPGs.

I use iTunes to import my Music and organize it so there is no issues using Metadatics. I even use it after I convert from AIFF to FLAC using XISRC (another awesome program) to even make the cover art smaller.

If you want to go the free route then use Preview (image changes) and Kid3 for replacing the images in bulk by album. Kid3 is an excellent id3 tag manager but I found that Metadatics is much better and low cost for bulk changes. I ended up going thru my library of over 10,000 tracks using Metadatics and it was much faster than the previous method using Kid3.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #7,018 of 12,862
What method of album art tagging does everyone use? Embedded or folder file?
I have been using embedded as I sometimes realise that I only like a couple of tracks from an album and to save space will move them to a 'mixed folder' and delete the album folder but want to retain their original art.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #7,019 of 12,862
^
Embedded. Speaking/typing for myself, not "everyone".

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #7,020 of 12,862
^ embedded as well as have a cover jpg in every folder. Works with almost everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back