Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,561 of 12,862
I don't use the standby mode, I think at some point someone else commented on the battery life using the standby. I am doing a very rough battery test and the last bar is flashing at about 19 hours. By rough I mean: turned on/off about 4 times, used low gain for 2 hours, about 17 hours continuous play at about 45 on high gain using flac track. I have the 90% battery saver on. It is not as bad as I feared but I expected a bit more coming from the A15 and ZX100 which were energized bunnies and reached their estimated battery lives.
As my test will run the battery right down I might do a battery reset to see if that improves things as I still feel my first 2 battery bars drop too quickly. By battery reset I mean letting it completely die then keep turning on until there is nothing left - i used this method recommended by another member on my A15 when after about a year the battery flashed after about 10 minutes from a full charge.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4,563 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 already but has anyone had the chance to compare it to the AK Kann? I'm considering getting that for when I want to travel with higher impedance headphones and I'm wondwring if having one will make the other redundant in terms of sound

I'm also interested in a comparison between ZX300 and the AK Kann. I have the AK Kann and I find it quite bulky to be used on the go. I primarily use IEMs (Campfire Audio Andromedas & Vegas), though I'm also eyeing some portable cans in the near future. Appreciate any thoughts and opinions.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #4,564 of 12,862
guys anyone can find the zx300 measurements? there was one on the earlier pages but now i cannot find it. if someone has backup can you pm me please?
I think it is exactly the same as the ZX100 if you can find the measurements for that

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #4,565 of 12,862
I don't use the standby mode, I think at some point someone else commented on the battery life using the standby. I am doing a very rough battery test and the last bar is flashing at about 19 hours. By rough I mean: turned on/off about 4 times, used low gain for 2 hours, about 17 hours continuous play at about 45 on high gain using flac track. I have the 90% battery saver on. It is not as bad as I feared but I expected a bit more coming from the A15 and ZX100 which were energized bunnies and reached their estimated battery lives.
As my test will run the battery right down I might do a battery reset to see if that improves things as I still feel my first 2 battery bars drop too quickly. By battery reset I mean letting it completely die then keep turning on until there is nothing left - i used this method recommended by another member on my A15 when after about a year the battery flashed after about 10 minutes from a full charge.

Mine ran continuously for 20 hours on high gain at 70 volume balanced output with flac, hi rez, and dsd. I also have the 90% battery saver on. So I figured with 100% charge and low gain and normal output and less demanding files it would reach the 30 hour mark. And truthfully you can get at least another hour of play time when the battery bar starts flashing.

And I would expect the battery to be weaker than the a15 and the zx100 as the outputs aren't as powerful as the zx300. 15 mw a channel compared to 50 mw for SE and 200 mw for balanced for zx300.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4,566 of 12,862
A big selling point of Sony players has been battery life and I knew the trade off of higher output was going to reduce the battery life on the ZX300. As I will usually be pushing 70 on high gain and will be listening to alot of dsd/hi-rez than during my test, I expected a bit more. I'm concerned what results I'll get with my regular listening habits.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #4,567 of 12,862
A big selling point of Sony players has been battery life and I knew the trade off of higher output was going to reduce the battery life on the ZX300. As I will usually be pushing 70 on high gain and will be listening to alot of dsd/hi-rez than during my test, I expected a bit more. I'm concerned what results I'll get with my regular listening habits.

IDK, but my results were definitely better, but I think I have more charge cycles than you so maybe your battery life will get better with more cycles.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,568 of 12,862
You don't know how much hope I have in that :jecklinsmile:

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,569 of 12,862
I almost dropped 800 on a wm1a but ended up reading almost this entire thread, skimming for the most part but still. Did anyone not get their zx300 from joybuy? It's 370 shipped to the us from there, or 700 from Amazon. If joybuy doesn't work the price difference is only 100 bucks and I'll just go for the used wm1a. Unless someone else has a place where the zx300 is cheaper here in the usa? I'll take the 16gb version I don't care

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #4,570 of 12,862
I am very much enjoying my ZX300A from joybuy. Turns out MSRP on the 16 gig version is something close to $500.. We all took a gamble getting the player from joy buy but in the end I got a deal for this awesome player. IT does take a while to get to you. The only catch. Sony players are not gonna have the QC issues of other players. So I would not hesitate in getting one from Joybuy. If anything you will save yourself some money. You can buy yourself a nice earphone or can for the money saved. Joybuy recommended.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #4,572 of 12,862
I am very much enjoying my ZX300A from joybuy. Turns out MSRP on the 16 gig version is something close to $500.. We all took a gamble getting the player from joy buy but in the end I got a deal for this awesome player. IT does take a while to get to you. The only catch. Sony players are not gonna have the QC issues of other players. So I would not hesitate in getting one from Joybuy. If anything you will save yourself some money. You can buy yourself a nice earphone or can for the money saved. Joybuy recommended.
The money saved can go into a premium cable too.. a dignis case.. so many avenues :wink:

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #4,573 of 12,862
Well as long as nobody has come back and said they DIDN'T get their zx300 from joybuy I'll go for it. Saves me 450 bucks, so I can write peterek for a custom cable for my ex1000 to get balanced going. For some reason I still want to wm1a but it seems pointless after reading all this. I do love the size of my fiio x3i, and the reason I sold my ifi micro bl is because the stack wasn't portable enough, so, this being on the smaller side should work for me. Any comparisons sonically of the zx300 vs the ifi black label?

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #4,574 of 12,862
Well as long as nobody has come back and said they DIDN'T get their zx300 from joybuy I'll go for it. Saves me 450 bucks, so I can write peterek for a custom cable for my ex1000 to get balanced going. For some reason I still want to wm1a but it seems pointless after reading all this. I do love the size of my fiio x3i, and the reason I sold my ifi micro bl is because the stack wasn't portable enough, so, this being on the smaller side should work for me. Any comparisons sonically of the zx300 vs the ifi black label?
On the balanced out of the zx300 the sound is as if you have switched on the 3D+ and 1 - 2 notches warmer. A more analogue sound with the same amount if not better detail retrieval. I sometimes feel the zx300 handles the highs better at times.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #4,575 of 12,862
On the balanced out of the zx300 the sound is as if you have switched on the 3D+ and 1 - 2 notches warmer. A more analogue sound with the same amount if not better detail retrieval. I sometimes feel the zx300 handles the highs better at times.

Just what I wanted to hear, the ifi was great but, sometimes almost too cold, that's what drew me over to the wm1a actually, I was looking for a dap that could get me sound quality to match the ifi but an all in one device and something warmer. I liked the ifi, but from all I've read I think I'll enjoy the zx300 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back