Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #4,591 of 12,862
I did buy it knowing i won't use it much, as I have reterminated most of my cables, i got it for my Zx2 incase I will start using it, I have lost faith in Sony with the ZX300, I have three scratches on the unit, and I dont know how I got it, it's kept in my backpack in a separate compartment with nothing but the ZX300 in it's OEM case, seems like the black coating isn't made to the same quality as the ZX2, i've had my Zx2 since it's release, not a single scratch. I just hope the anniversary edition DAP in 2019 isn't made cheap.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #4,592 of 12,862
I did buy it knowing i won't use it much, as I have reterminated most of my cables, i got it for my Zx2 incase I will start using it, I have lost faith in Sony with the ZX300, I have three scratches on the unit, and I dont know how I got it, it's kept in my backpack in a separate compartment with nothing but the ZX300 in it's OEM case, seems like the black coating isn't made to the same quality as the ZX2, i've had my Zx2 since it's release, not a single scratch. I just hope the anniversary edition DAP in 2019 isn't made cheap.

I usually go for base aluminium over black anodised coatings. Can't see scratches (plus only silver in UK anyway, no black option).

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #4,593 of 12,862
I usually go for base aluminium over black anodised coatings. Can't see scratches (plus only silver in UK anyway, no black option).
I only went with black because my Zx2 was black, I actually like the silver, especially the Zx1, and the Zx2 didn't have silver, not sure why I didn't go silver on the ZX300, may be it was a impulse buy at that time.

I just have to weight it out and wait for the annivesary edition, there is no point in getting the WM1A now.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #4,596 of 12,862
I usually buy my gear in black, not so with this beauty though. Silver was just so...mhmmm.
You know what I think it is? The chamfered edges on the physical buttons of the silver edition, when they catch the light - magic. The beauty in this things form is a real sight.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #4,597 of 12,862
You know what I think it is? The chamfered edges on the physical buttons of the silver edition, when they catch the light - magic. The beauty in this things form is a real sight.

Definitely! The contrast between the silver and the matte black screen is also lovely to look at. The matte screen in general is pretty awesome :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #4,598 of 12,862

For me its the fine finish of the aluminium shot peening. It makes the silver look pearlescent, shimmery like moonlight !! Best looking player I've had and nicest in the hand. Would be perfect if it allowed Tidal streaming & offline without need to hook-up my phone over DAC mode.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,601 of 12,862
Definitely! The contrast between the silver and the matte black screen is also lovely to look at. The matte screen in general is pretty awesome :)

You guys are making me want to take a brillo pad and scratch my black coating off :frowning2:

No really when I was young back in the 70's every sony walkman I had was silver, and later all my Sony discman were silver. Not till I got my sharp minidisc and old iaudio (cowon) rio, ipod, iriver, Sony mp3 etc etc did I start getting coulor choices. I'm still silvered out.

I still have an old aiwa? Cassette walkman buried away somewhere and guess what? Its silver!

On a side note I got my black lol ibasso IT01's yesterday and wow do they sound good! They sound better than the oriveti- new primacy which are 3 times as much. Bass is much faster and more defined as are the mids and highs. This is what I was expecting the 800 dollar hi fi man re800 to sound like. They are surprisingly (to me) comfortably also. And only a hundred beans! Partly 4 my Belgian friend get a reasonable priced mmcx balanced cable and the it01's and you are in the game. :wink:

Truly amazing they can get such speed and resolution from a single dynamic driver.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4,602 of 12,862
You guys are making me want to take a brillo pad and scratch my black coating off :frowning2:

No really when I was young back in the 70's every sony walkman I had was silver, and later all my Sony discman were silver. Not till I got my sharp minidisc and old iaudio (cowon) rio, ipod, iriver, Sony mp3 etc etc did I start getting coulor choices. I'm still silvered out.

I still have an old aiwa? Cassette walkman buried away somewhere and guess what? Its silver!
Please do, let us know the results:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've had many walkmans, most being sony and aiwa, all discman was sony, minidisc was denon, sharp and sony. and all individual IEM was sony in the past with the exception of those that comes with the unit. Now all IEM are sony and one BD, with those exceptions that comes with the smartphones, but i've gave most away.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #4,603 of 12,862
Please do, let us know the results:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've had many walkmans, most being sony and aiwa, all discman was sony, minidisc was denon, sharp and sony. and all individual IEM was sony in the past with the exception of those that comes with the unit. Now all IEM are sony and one BD, with those exceptions that comes with the smartphones, but i've gave most away.

I even had a kenwood minidisc player :) The one bit high end sharp unit was really nice, can't exactly remember the model number. Sony flagship stuff was always ultra cool, I remember I had a discman that actually sucked the CD in just like a ps4 or an alpine car stereo. That Sony discman might have been an anniversary model maybe, ( can't remember) I know it was thin as hell and $$$$$$.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4,604 of 12,862
I like the kenwood brand, they made many good hi equipment, shame they had to leave the market, but I still think they have some stuff on the market.
Kenwood portable minidisc player are only rebadged of those from sharp, denon, pioneer, this goes for the same with aiwa with there first portable minidisc.

I just wish Sony reinvent a newer version of the DAT, may be the current DAP player, but based on DAT technology, so far I think it's the best sounding media, even the current DAP doesn't come close, that goes for the black plastic as well.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #4,605 of 12,862
Well as long as nobody has come back and said they DIDN'T get their zx300 from joybuy I'll go for it. Saves me 450 bucks, so I can write peterek for a custom cable for my ex1000 to get balanced going. For some reason I still want to wm1a but it seems pointless after reading all this. I do love the size of my fiio x3i, and the reason I sold my ifi micro bl is because the stack wasn't portable enough, so, this being on the smaller side should work for me. Any comparisons sonically of the zx300 vs the ifi black label?
I used to have the zx100 - Its was ok, software was good etc, but I found the sound a bit boring. It also seemed really underpowered, despite being the international version with no stupid volume cap. Is the Zx300 worth a go now I've sold my Zx100? I'm using a Pioneer 30R, how does the Zx300 compare?
Don't know about the Pioneer player and I haven't used a fully burned-in ZX100. But I do know that I found the ZX300 out of the box (single-ended) much more pleasant than the ZX100 out of the box. Better layering, wider sound stage and I could tell that the ZX300's SE was more powerful too.

To me, the ZX300 feels like the 'ZX'-walkman completed. Like the ZX100 was a great leap, but the ZX300 is just something else. And very unlike other higher-end Sony products, in that you really get bang for your bucks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back