Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #4,546 of 12,862
I'm assuming no instructions really needed. Just involves pairing the remote?

You need to press both play/pause button and Vol Down until you see red and blue lights flashing. Then it's ready to pair. Everything else is quite simple on the ZX300.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,547 of 12,862
I've searched on here but results get obfuscated by the 4.4 mm balanced connector feature but does the ZX300 have any form of L/R balance control? I've slight hearing loss in one ear hence need a small amount of adjustment. From extensive googling it would appear not but I can't find a definitive answer. Thanks

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #4,548 of 12,862
I've searched on here but results get obfuscated by the 4.4 mm balanced connector feature but does the ZX300 have any form of L/R balance control? I've slight hearing loss in one ear hence need a small amount of adjustment. From extensive googling it would appear not but I can't find a definitive answer. Thanks
There is L/R balance, however, it does not apply while playing DSD natively.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,549 of 12,862
I bought the Apple lightening to USB 3 camera adapter. Now how exactly do I connect my iPhone X to the ZX300 with it? I plug-in the power cord (that comes with the ZX300) into the bottom of the ZX300, and plug the other (usb) end into the Apple adapter, and then the adapter plugs right into the only port in on the iPhone X, the lightening port? Just want to be clear.

Ensure you turn off USB charging in the ZX300 settings to use the adapter without needing to feed it power. Then just plug the CCKit into your iPhone and the Walkman cable from that to the ZX300.

You then need to put the ZX300 in DAC mode. For Spotify/Tidal you may need to close the apps then open them again once the DAC is enabled or sometimes there is no sound out of the ZX300.

PS This is how it works with the iPhone SE, not tested with any other.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4,550 of 12,862

In output settings you can change the L/R but not for DSD. It states:

L/R Balance - Does not apply to DSD playback in native format.

You get a little bar to adjust

L...............Center...............R

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #4,553 of 12,862
Just some more photos on linking ZX300 to a size matched phone. Still awaiting official ZX300 case to arrive.

Feed from UAPP Tidal stream through ZX300 in balanced mode sounds fantastic

Shot of Z5 compact with less than perfect cable arrangement
20180210_175900.jpg

From Back, screen would be covered when in case
20180210_175841.jpg

Some really strong "Stick-it" type pads cut thin to only stick to the exposed aluminium (otherwise would rip rubber back off)
20180210_180018.jpg

Hoping to make use of this cable when it arrives to connect ZX300 to smaller iPhone SE but would still need to use the WMport adapter. Would be native bit-perfect from Tidal or Spotify while keeping DSD/FLAC files on the ZX300 itself
cable.jpg

Also just seen this new cable from Fiio , the L27 but I think it is only meant to feed out from a Sony to a Fiio DAC/AMP, not the other way feeding audio from phone to ZX300. It would be ideal if it did. I've asked Fiio support but expecting a no. I bought a similar cable but it didn't work (had different Pin configuration to the standard cable).

fiio-l27-digital-audio-adaptor-cable-from-sony-wm-port-to-microusb.jpg

Its hard to believe that this combination works far more reliably than a Fiio X5III I had with Android functionality built in. The ZX300 sounds much better too (over balanced).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #4,554 of 12,862
The sales funnel has been nourished by users @superuser1 and @psikey and is now succesfully completed by the prospect, ding ding ding :L3000:

(in all seriousness, you will love this player):smile_phones:

Ha ha wait till you try balanced my friend :wink: Basically you're getting a flagship dap ( sound wise) at a mid range price. You can't beat it! Well with MJ you can but otherwise forgetaboutit.

No not Micheal Jordon, the great gloved one silly!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #4,555 of 12,862
Testing
Guys,

How long does your ZX300 battery last? I charged it to full and put it away ready for play (standby, DAP on screen off).
Took it out this morning about 3/4 days since the charging, and the battery was pretty much flat.
Is what i'm doing not a "standby" like a phone, coz i know my Iphone can easily last more than a few days when not used and on standby.

Just thinking if i got a ZX300 with a defect battery.

Thanks.
Since I received mine a month ago I have been too busy to sit down and listen to my music regularly or for more than 30mins - 1hr, but I notice my battery drop bars very quickly. I had an A15, then the ZX100 before this and even with the volume usually cranked quite high playing FLAC/Hi-Res/DSF files I would get by a month before having to charge (before the battery indicator started flashing). I have put off confronting this because I bought from Accessory Jack and the return shipping would be pricey and also I don't want to end up with a refurbished unit as a replacement.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #4,556 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 already but has anyone had the chance to compare it to the AK Kann? I'm considering getting that for when I want to travel with higher impedance headphones and I'm wondwring if having one will make the other redundant in terms of sound

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #4,557 of 12,862
Testing

Since I received mine a month ago I have been too busy to sit down and listen to my music regularly or for more than 30mins - 1hr, but I notice my battery drop bars very quickly. I had an A15, then the ZX100 before this and even with the volume usually cranked quite high playing FLAC/Hi-Res/DSF files I would get by a month before having to charge (before the battery indicator started flashing). I have put off confronting this because I bought from Accessory Jack and the return shipping would be pricey and also I don't want to end up with a refurbished unit as a replacement.
That may in fact be normal for the ZX300. Due to work demands, holidays and illness, I had turned off the power of mine for about two months without using it once. The battery went down over 50% over that time, despite it being completely off. So, if you simply click off the display, and don't turn the unit off completely, my guess is the bars will drop down pretty fast during that time. Here's some recommendations for improving battery life:
http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx300/v1/en/contents/TP0001449011.html
Also, for those concerned about the longevity of their battery long-term, Sony points out the you can always have the battery replaced:
http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx300/v1/en/contents/TP0001449091.html
That link is from the British Sony site, so hopefully the same thing hold true if you're in other countries..

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #4,558 of 12,862
I am very conservative when it comes to the battery - all my settings are as recommended. I know the quoted battery life is for pretty much continuous play without much screen time, but it seems I'm getting alot less than that.
I am doing a battery test today to check.
The ZX300 is not sold in my country so I probably don't have the support for a battery change.

**just noticed swiftkey keyboard app is messing up my auto-correct again

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #4,559 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 already but has anyone had the chance to compare it to the AK Kann? I'm considering getting that for when I want to travel with higher impedance headphones and I'm wondwring if having one will make the other redundant in terms of sound

What sort of cans are you planning to use? Do you have them already or are planning to buy?

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,560 of 12,862
I am very conservative when it comes to the battery - all my settings are as recommended. I know the quoted battery life is for pretty much continuous play without much screen time, but it seems I'm getting alot less than that.
I am doing a battery test today to check.
The ZX300 is not sold in my country so I probably don't have the support for a battery change.

**just noticed swiftkey keyboard app is messing up my auto-correct again

I think the battery life is pretty accurate, but I think the standby power usage could be tweaked. Maybe in a future firmware update, Sony could initiate a deep sleep mode for standby and a search function (here's hoping). Anyways I'm interested in how much battery life you get in your test.

I use mine every day so I don't really notice any drops in the bar, but I'm sure it would if I let it set a couple of days. Fiio had a great standby mode on the x3ii, the battery really didn't drop in stand by, so it is possible. Compared to my other daps, the battery life is really good. I only get about 8 hours on ak70.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back