Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #11,281 of 12,862
I just A/B my Pono vs. my ZX300 using Shure SE 846 (unbalanced stock cable and Pearl Jam's Dance of the Clairvoyants from Gigaton as a reference).

Pono has no EQ or other sound enhancement wizardry.

A/B Test 1: Pono vs. ZX300 with Direct Source ON. Pono wins hands down.

A/B Test 2: Pono vs. ZX300 with EQ and other minor tweaks. ZX300 wins by a hair.

Subjective results of course. YMMV

The champ of course is ZX300 with EQ and other minor tweaks....and balanced cables. Battery life is gravy.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #11,282 of 12,862
I just A/B my Pono vs. my ZX300 using Shure SE 846 (unbalanced stock cable and Pearl Jam's Dance of the Clairvoyants from Gigaton as a reference).

A/B Test 2: Pono vs. ZX300 with EQ and other minor tweaks. ZX300 wins by a hair.

The champ of course is ZX300 with EQ and other minor tweaks....and balanced cables. Battery life is gravy.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Pono?

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #11,284 of 12,862

I would imagine that the ZX300 wins for design too - the Pono is quite a different shape

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #11,285 of 12,862
I would imagine that the ZX300 wins for design too - the Pono is quite a different shape

Frankly, a silly shape. It's portable, so that implies pocketable. But as it's a Toblerone mini, it doesn't fit in anything but JNCOs.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #11,286 of 12,862
Frankly, a silly shape. It's portable, so that implies pocketable. But as it's a Toblerone mini, it doesn't fit in anything by JNCOs.
I make an effort to not be too opinionated as to avoid offending anyone, but yes, it is a silly design when it comes to carrying it around. Perhaps a cheap alternative to a case would be a Toblerone box?

Apr 12, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #11,287 of 12,862
Actually, its shape is quite handy, as you find that when you set it down, it presents its touch display to you at a great angle for viewing and access.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #11,288 of 12,862
If you intend to carry it in your hands, it's great. If you intend to pocket it, not so great.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #11,289 of 12,862
I still have my Pono. It actually represented very good value for money in terms of sound quality back when it released. It was better than the ibasso, fiio and cayin daps of that time but it just never caught on. Probably due to the shape and the kinda bad tiny touchscreen. I have to admit I didn't use the Pono much in favor of daps with better UI, like the Sony NW-ZX1. Now I'm picking up a silver ZX507 to play with.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #11,290 of 12,862
Interestingly, since I posted the A/B testing subtopic on this thread, I have actually listened to the pono a lot more. After further A/B testing, I believe the pono has better SQ than the ZX300 with EQ etc. Results are subjective of course. Design, build quality, and battery still go to the ZX300. Those are objective results.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #11,291 of 12,862
I noticed that some pages back people were discussing the audio hardware difference between ZX300 and ZX507.
At first I was under the impression that they were identical, but after a bit of research I found otherwise (actually my real job field is also research and analytics).

There are a few key differences that will affect the sound between ZX300 and ZX507, these are all mentioned on Sony's site and interviews with the engineer's.

1. The gold color FT-Cap used in ZX507 is actually the same used throughout the Sony DMP-Z1, while the ZX300/WM1A/Z all use the blue FT-Cap.
-I'm not saying the gold is better, I'm just saying it is likely tuned to sound different to the blue version. This only affects the balanced output on the ZX507.
Picture of ZX500 Walkman® ZX Series
FT CAP

2. The ZX507 has double the capacitance for the single ended power supply, from 200uF on ZX300 to 400uF on ZX507, this only affects single ended but will result in much better single ended sound. WM1A/Z still have the ZX507 beat in this regard as they use FT-Caps for single ended rather than the Pos-Caps that ZX507 and ZX300 use.
(ZX507 on left, ZX300 on right).
Capture.PNG

3. The ZX507 uses a thick CNC milled copper block for the grounding and total shielding of digital section (a first for Walkmans actually).
ZX300/WM1A/Z only use thin copper sheet metal over the digital section and do not fully encase it, just rest on top. This actually means the grounding and shielding of the ZX507 is above even that of the WM1A, but not the WM1Z obviously as it's chassis is grounding heaven being made entirely of copper.
(ZX507 on left, ZX300 on right).
Sony NW-ZX500
Sony NW-ZX300

ZX507 solid copper block on left, CNC milled into full shield on the right.
Annotation 2020-04-14 130515.png

ZX507 on left, note the high level of pcb contact (gold area) increasing shielding and grounding performance.
While ZX300 on the right only has a few small points of contact.
Sony NW-ZX300 | Page 114 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head ...

4. Solder, Sony had been using pure 99.99% Tin solder since ZX2, but improved that to Tin + Gold solder for the ZX507 and A100, and will use this for future Walkmans.
My all time favorite wire is actually Mundorf Silver Gold (1%), don't underestimate a bit of gold in the audio chain.

5. FPGA. All ZX and higher series have used an FPGA since ZX2, this means Sony can easily tune the sound of each model to harmonize well with and take most advantage of it's audio circuitry, which also means the ZX507 is bound to be tuned slightly differently to match it's change in audio hardware.

Just a fun fact if you are a science buff: The silver model of ZX507/ZX300 will actually perform very slightly better than the black, this is because the silver aluminum finish will have a lower electrical resistance compared to the anodized black model, this will affect the grounding performance of the chassis. This is also the reason Sony gold plates copper parts, to stop the copper oxidizing which increases the electrical resistance (oxidation can also look ugly).

Now just to be clear, some of these changes will be barely audible, although some people do have a knack for hearing minute changes.
But my point is that when you change this many different aspects of the device, it all adds up. I haven't heard the ZX300 and ZX507, but some people have said ZX507 sounds better than WM1A, others have said it sounds similar to ZX300. So as always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #11,292 of 12,862
I noticed that some pages back people were discussing the audio hardware difference between ZX300 and ZX507.
At first I was under the impression that they were identical, but after a bit of research I found otherwise (actually my real job field is also research and analytics).

There are a few key differences that will affect the sound between ZX300 and ZX507, these are all mentioned on Sony's site and interviews with the engineer's.

1. The gold color FT-Cap used in ZX507 is actually the same used throughout the Sony DMP-Z1, while the ZX300/WM1A/Z all use the blue FT-Cap.
-I'm not saying the gold is better, I'm just saying it is likely tuned to sound different to the blue version. This only affects the balanced output on the ZX507.
FT CAP

2. The ZX507 has double the capacitance for the single ended power supply, from 200uF on ZX300 to 400uF on ZX507, this only affects single ended but will result in much better single ended sound. WM1A/Z still have the ZX507 beat in this regard as they use FT-Caps for single ended rather than the Pos-Caps that ZX507 and ZX300 use. (ZX507 on left, ZX300 on right)
Capture (2).PNG

3. The ZX507 uses a thick CNC milled copper block for the grounding and total shielding of digital section (a first for Walkmans actually).
ZX300/WM1A/Z only use thin copper sheet metal over the digital section and do not fully encase it, just rest on top. This actually means the grounding and shielding of the ZX507 is above even that of the WM1A, but not the WM1Z obviously as it's chassis is grounding heaven being made entirely of copper.
Annotation 2020-04-14 130515.png

4. Solder, Sony had been using pure 99.99% Tin solder since ZX2, but improved that to Tin + Gold solder for the ZX507 and A100, and will use this for future Walkmans.
My all time favorite wire is actually Mundorf Silver Gold (1%), don't underestimate a bit of gold in the audio chain.

5. FPGA. All walkmans in the ZX series have used an FPGA since ZX2, this means Sony can easily tune the sound of each model to harmonize well with and take most advantage of it's audio circuitry, also means the ZX507 is bound to be tuned slightly differently to match it's change in audio hardware.

Just a fun fact if you are a science buff: The silver model of ZX507/ZX300 will actually perform very slightly better than the black, this is because the silver aluminum finish will have a lower electrical resistance compared to the anodized black model, this will affect the grounding performance of the chassis. This is also the reason Sony gold plates copper parts, to stop the copper oxidizing which increases the electrical resistance (oxidation can also look ugly).

Now just to be clear, some of these changes will be barely audible, although some people do have a knack for hearing minute changes.
But my point is that when you change this many different aspects of the device, it all adds up. I haven't heard the ZX300 and ZX507, but some people have said ZX507 sounds better than WM1A, others have said it sounds similar to ZX300. So as always, YMMV.
I always love it when you analyze these stuff :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back