Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 4, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #11,266 of 12,862
Did it on an S8, 3 different Bluetooth PC chipsets and my iPad. Did you press ‘Add Device’ before trying to add the device?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did. That was my first method. When that failed I tried NFC.

I've previously connected my S7 Edge without a problem. Thought I'd check how the sound is via the receiver function over LDAC when I'd like to stream playlists from streaming services.

For some reason the devices don't see each other (phone visibility is turned on)

I thought using NFC would be a sure shot way, but when I tapped the devices together the ZX300 displayed, Device not supported

There's something off with the S10+.

OT: Even when I try to connect the S10+ with other devices via OTG I'm unable to switch control to device/ phone.

The developer mode is activated and so is USB de-bugging.

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #11,267 of 12,862
Personally I can hear the difference in region changes with WM1A & ZX300, let alone the difference between a dedicated DAP and a phone. I don't think that the phones sound bad, however the DAPs to my ear are simply far better, as to choice world abounds and as ever personal ...

Q-6
I can hear that prety clearly lol

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #11,268 of 12,862
People who dont hear a difference between their phones and the zx300 are lucky.. they dont need to buy the zx300. I clearly hear the difference with many not so expensive iems. The Dunu DM480 for example. I can also hear the difference with something like NCM5v2 and NCM Bella.

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #11,269 of 12,862
People who dont hear a difference between their phones and the zx300 are lucky.. they dont need to buy the zx300. I clearly hear the difference with many not so expensive iems. The Dunu DM480 for example. I can also hear the difference with something like NCM5v2 and NCM Bella.
This I have to agree. If you can’t tell a different, it is a good thing

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #11,270 of 12,862
So, inspired by the recent discussions, I decided to A/B (sighted) against the ZX300 and Galaxy S8. Since I had a 2.5mm cable (eurgh) kit that came with a 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm BAL adapter, I whacked those two adapters to their respective devices, played the song at the same time and only moved the cable over and leaving the adapter in. That way, music never stops and I can sync the two players to allow me to A/B better.

At first, the ZX300 had significantly more sub-bass and a somewhat bigger soundstage, probably because the higher mids were recessed. Kept going for an hour or so, and I got more and more convinced that maybe I dismissed the differences too soon.

Then I accidentally swiped up on the player, and realised that Direct Sound wasn't on. I was using my Z7M2 EQ profile which boosted the bass, raised lower mids and dipped higher mids. Whoops.

Flipped the switch, and the struggle to tell the differences began again. I'd like to say that the ZX300 is a bit less rolled off in the bass, but it's so ridiculously small that shifting your IEM would have a bigger effect. That being said, I am using customs so can't really use that excuse anymore :wink:.

What's funny is that I did this a long time ago with my CA Polaris, and back then the comparison was incredibly obvious courtesy of the ridiculous hissing I experienced on my phone (and which the ZX300 didn't). Sorta taught me a lesson: don't buy IEMs that hiss more than a snake unless it's ridiculously good.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #11,271 of 12,862
But probably you're already a bit biassed and listing fatigue may kick in after 1 hour of critical listening. At least this is what happens with me.

Also if you would go and list for a few days or even a bit longer only through one source, preferably the one assumed to be better (say ZX300 in this case) and than switch to S8 the difference may be more evident.

I used to own a ZX300 and have a S9+ that in theory shall be similar sound wise to your S8.

The ZX300 needs at least 200h of burn in. I used mine only in balanced mode with a pair of Sony EX1000. Since I have more than 1 pair of EX1000 I did this comparison too.

I can honestly say there is a noticable difference. I'm not going to quantify it but I am sure I can identify the two sources apart in a blind folded test.

Did you volume match the sources btw?

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #11,272 of 12,862
So, inspired by the recent discussions, I decided to A/B (sighted) against the ZX300 and Galaxy S8. Since I had a 2.5mm cable (eurgh) kit that came with a 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm BAL adapter, I whacked those two adapters to their respective devices, played the song at the same time and only moved the cable over and leaving the adapter in. That way, music never stops and I can sync the two players to allow me to A/B better.

At first, the ZX300 had significantly more sub-bass and a somewhat bigger soundstage, probably because the higher mids were recessed. Kept going for an hour or so, and I got more and more convinced that maybe I dismissed the differences too soon.

Then I accidentally swiped up on the player, and realised that Direct Sound wasn't on. I was using my Z7M2 EQ profile which boosted the bass, raised lower mids and dipped higher mids. Whoops.

Flipped the switch, and the struggle to tell the differences began again. I'd like to say that the ZX300 is a bit less rolled off in the bass, but it's so ridiculously small that shifting your IEM would have a bigger effect. That being said, I am using customs so can't really use that excuse anymore :wink:.

What's funny is that I did this a long time ago with my CA Polaris, and back then the comparison was incredibly obvious courtesy of the ridiculous hissing I experienced on my phone (and which the ZX300 didn't). Sorta taught me a lesson: don't buy IEMs that hiss more than a snake unless it's ridiculously good.
Thanks for reporting your experience and a funny story to boot.

One thing I can say about the phone SQ is that the app seems to matter. With my Galaxy S8, I was originally using the built-in music player, then VLC, then another app I can't remember and then Stellio, whose UI I really love and even paid for the full version. All of them were hissing like mad with the Andromeda. I finally tried UAPP and surprise, surprise: the hissing was all but gone. I'm not sure what UAPP does differently, but I didn't hear any loss of detail and clarity or detected any other trade-off, so I've been recommending the app ever since. The UI sucks when compared to Stellio, but I've used it for about 6 months before finally getting the ZX300 (because why not) and I kinda learned to live with it.

But probably you're already a bit biassed and listing fatigue may kick in after 1 hour of critical listening. At least this is what happens with me.
I think you raise an excellent point. Listening fatigue is a real issue for me too. I run into it almost every time I visit my audio dealer.

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #11,273 of 12,862

Also if you would go and list for a few days or even a bit longer only through one source, preferably the one assumed to be better (say ZX300 in this case) and than switch to S8 the difference may be more evident.

I used to own a ZX300 and have a S9+ that in theory shall be similar sound wise to your S8.

The ZX300 needs at least 200h of burn in. I used mine only in balanced mode with a pair of Sony EX1000. Since I have more than 1 pair of EX1000 I did this comparison too.

I can honestly say there is a noticable difference. I'm not going to quantify it but I am sure I can identify the two sources apart in a blind folded test.

Did you volume match the sources btw?

Not that it means much, but my ZX300 has 1600 hours through it. Seriously, that 200hr thing is absolute BS. Absolutely no lab equipment needs break in: what makes audio so special?

Variance between two pairs of earphones can be large so it doesn’t work as well as sharing the same unit.

Volume matched through a Fluke 87V but its low voltage isn’t the best.

Funny thing is that before I got the cable kit I was using the ZX300 exclusively. It was til the quarantine I decided to use my phone as a source too, and didn’t notice anything real different.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #11,276 of 12,862
can definitely hear a significant difference between my zx300 and my phone (s10). More clarity on the first.
Like most of us! thankfully! You have a hell of a DAP there! Portable and really High quality so dont read comments that are hollow or lacking any cientific background.... :punch: (from scratch a phone is a huge antena so sony wouldnt have sealed the zx300 in aluminium if it didnt matter for A/B listening) so the hiss alone will be a hole diferent story... Oh maybe with apple Iems it could be nearer haha

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #11,277 of 12,862
Like most of us! thankfully! You have a hell of a DAP there! Portable and really High quality so dont read comments that are hollow or lacking any cientific background.... :punch:

Very nice of you to say that..........

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #11,280 of 12,862
[...] so dont read comments that are hollow or lacking any cientific background.... :punch:
Except... how do you know a comment is hallow or lacking and scientific background if you don't read it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back