Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #234 of 12,862
A series are throw away models and can't be compared to the ZX and WM models which are currently VERY well received by the audiophile community and they'll be shooting themselves if they refresh too quick.

Phone is irrelevant - different department for starters and secondly phones always gets 2 updates per year either way as Japan has two major phone contract renewal rush in May (first paycheck for new graduates) and December (end of year bonus), Sony always refresh in time for those times in accordance to carrier demands. ZXs was released for September last year and this year ZX1 - all according to plan, no speed ups.

A series are throw away models??

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #235 of 12,862
A series are throw away models??

Why wouldn't it be? It's RRP is less than USD200 on launch but now can frequently be found for less than 150 in Asia even from official Sony Stores, that's throw away territory in today's consumer electronic landscape. Also the fact that A40 is now refreshed with a bunch of new, trendy colours tells you that the A series is designed squarely to appeal to the "hip, trend chasing" crowd, and these products are always designed around a strict yearly refresh timetable.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #236 of 12,862
Why wouldn't it be? It's RRP is less than USD200 on launch but now can frequently be found for less than 150 in Asia even from official Sony Stores, that's throw away territory in today's consumer electronic landscape. Also the fact that A40 is now refreshed with a bunch of new, trendy colours tells you that the A series is designed squarely to appeal to the "hip, trend chasing" crowd, and these products are always designed around a strict yearly refresh timetable.

Well maybe for you or some others it's throw away territory, but for most people 150-200$ is alot of money. IMO that A35 is a keeper. I probably will purchase the ZX-300 at some point, but regardless the A-35 stays. Of all the DAPs I've tried it's the only one that didn't have some type of fatal flaw I couldn't live with, including DAPs which cost hundreds of dollars more.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #237 of 12,862
Well maybe for you or some others it's throw away territory, but for most people 150-200$ is alot of money. IMO that A35 is a keeper. I probably will purchase the ZX-300 at some point, but regardless the A-35 stays. Of all the DAPs I've tried it's the only one that didn't have some type of fatal flaw I couldn't live with, including DAPs which cost hundreds of dollars more.

It's throw away for SONY - not the consumer.

Again, products sold for about 100 dollars have a very definite EOL cycle in the gadget world.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #238 of 12,862
Any one can claim they have inside knowledge on the internet, but the fact is thus far Sony's audio product updates are not fast.

That is only true for Sony's higher end portable audio products. The A series walkman has been updated yearly since 2014 when it was first released as Sony like every other retail audio manufacturer follows a yearly product cycle. You can also say the same thing for headphones/iems and portable (bluetooth) speakers. I would also imagine that most people who buy the high end WM and ZX series DAP's will upgrade less frequently than someone who buys the cheaper A series. Unless Sony changes it's mind and brings out DAP's with wifi and streaming audio what else can they change or add to the WM series to make it better and worth spending $1000.00+ to upgrade?

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #239 of 12,862
That is only true for Sony's higher end portable audio products. The A series walkman has been updated yearly since 2014 when it was first released as Sony like every other retail audio manufacturer follows a yearly product cycle. You can also say the same thing for headphones/iems and portable (bluetooth) speakers. I would also imagine that most people who buy the high end WM and ZX series DAP's will upgrade less frequently than someone who buys the cheaper A series. Unless Sony changes it's mind and brings out DAP's with wifi and streaming audio what else can they change or add to the WM series to make it better and worth spending $1000.00+ to upgrade?

Well which is exactly as I pointed out as the OP was claiming he has insider info that the ZX300 will be replaced this time next year, but the ZX300 should be a mid/high end product which has a slower update cycle and not the A series which is the low, throw away tier of consumer products not prosumer/enthusiasts tier so the pace of refresh of A series products cannot be used to judge mid/high end products.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #240 of 12,862
Seeing what Sony did with their high end camera lines (those full frame A9, A7 or RX100, etc), I will not be surprised to see more frequent update on the audio products lineups as well.
Maybe we will see JustEar avialable overseas someday, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back