Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #241 of 12,862
Seeing what Sony did with their high end camera lines (those full frame A9, A7 or RX100, etc), I will not be surprised to see more frequent update on the audio products lineups as well.
Maybe we will see JustEar avialable overseas someday, who knows.

The Gen-2 A7 series are 2 years old now. The first cycle ended real quick due to how Sony pushed sensor technology fast enough to be competitive with the big players. The first A7 series are not really contenders with the 5D Mk.3 level. The Gen-2 had a higher price at launch and pushed the earlier models to lower price points to compete with entry-level full-frame DSLRs, which they do very well. The first gen A7 is dirt cheap, smaller than competitors and offers the excellent full-frame Sony sensor for the masses.

Same with the RX100. The older models get dropped down a tier without shutting down the production, unlike throwaway models like a3000 or a5100.

And Sony is a huge company. Their departments follow different strategies. Their Xperia line is actually the only one with a schedule on steroid. The camera refreshes were pretty meaningful.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #242 of 12,862
The Gen-2 A7 series are 2 years old now. The first cycle ended real quick due to how Sony pushed sensor technology fast enough to be competitive with the big players. The first A7 series are not really contenders with the 5D Mk.3 level. The Gen-2 had a higher price at launch and pushed the earlier models to lower price points to compete with entry-level full-frame DSLRs, which they do very well. The first gen A7 is dirt cheap, smaller than competitors and offers the excellent full-frame Sony sensor for the masses.

Same with the RX100. The older models get dropped down a tier without shutting down the production, unlike throwaway models like a3000 or a5100.

And Sony is a huge company. Their departments follow different strategies. Their Xperia line is actually the only one with a schedule on steroid. The camera refreshes were pretty meaningful.

My point was that Sony made α7, α7R, α7S, α7 II, α7R II, α7S II, with some improvements/changes at a time. Same thing goes on their KD-X9300C/D/E. And of course their smart phone. To me all of the refreshes (including the phones) are quite meaningful, it's just seems that Sony is hard-working enough to release them frequently.
So I will not be surprised if there is a ZX300S with a usb-c port and 2mm thinner coming out next year.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #243 of 12,862
My point was that Sony made α7, α7R, α7S, α7 II, α7R II, α7S II, with some improvements/changes at a time. Same thing goes on their KD-X9300C/D/E. And of course their smart phone. To me all of the refreshes (including the phones) are quite meaningful, it's just seems that Sony is hard-working enough to release them frequently.
So I will not be surprised if there is a ZX300S with a usb-c port and 2mm thinner coming out next year.

Well I don't think adding a USB-C port and thinning the product warrants a product refresh. Case in point: ZX300 launched almost 2 years after ZX100.

Sony tend to launch a lot of flagships, but not to refresh a lot of mid to low end products. Bravia had seen 2 flagships in this year (A1 and Z9D) but all the regular 4K HDR TVs are on a stable, year-round refresh schedule.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #244 of 12,862
Well I don't think adding a USB-C port and thinning the product warrants a product refresh. Case in point: ZX300 launched almost 2 years after ZX100.

Sony tend to launch a lot of flagships, but not to refresh a lot of mid to low end products. Bravia had seen 2 flagships in this year (A1 and Z9D) but all the regular 4K HDR TVs are on a stable, year-round refresh schedule.

it is just a metaphor, I don't really know if there is ZX300s or something else comes out. To many, RX 100 V does not justify the refresh and the price increase, but that is not something left for us to decide.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #245 of 12,862
Beside the reversible plug on type C, there is no advantage to switch from WM port. Especially not for audio quality. Yes, Sony seems to be on 2 years cycle for flagship Walkman, probably next year we get something better than 1Z

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #246 of 12,862
it is just a metaphor, I don't really know if there is ZX300s or something else comes out. To many, RX 100 V does not justify the refresh and the price increase, but that is not something left for us to decide.

I really hope they can put LDAC and DSEE everywhere. The new WF-1000X that launched with the ZX300 didn't have the DSEE. Such a shame, recently they just demonstrated a new DSEE live that completely elevated the sound quality:

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #247 of 12,862
It's throw away for SONY - not the consumer.

Again, products sold for about 100 dollars have a very definite EOL cycle in the gadget world.
I have to agree with you, sadly. The A40 is most definitely a very capable device but the way it is marketed just appeals to the consumeristic behaviour. I would have liked tye ZX300 to come at a better price point but alas: the chance of me getting the A40 is bigger right now. For me, it won't get thrown away after a couple of years.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #249 of 12,862
It looks nice!

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #254 of 12,862
I just saw a rumor that there will be a ZX300A only available in China which only has 16gb internal storage and has a lower price in return....
I don't think it's true, i'm sure no one is going to buy this with only 16GB internal storage for a audiophile quality player, and probably at a high price unless it's some think like USD 200, but that will be too underpriced.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #255 of 12,862
I don't think it's true, i'm sure no one is going to buy this with only 16GB internal storage for a audiophile quality player, and probably at a high price unless it's some think like USD 200, but that will be too underpriced.
http://www.sonystyle.com.cn/products/media_player/nw_zx300a.htm

The model name is indeed ZX300A. But the specifications are not out yet and the product page is currently incomplete, so who knows.

Plus, there's a microSD card slot. A 256 GB microSD isn't too hard to find and SanDisk recently launched a 400GB one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back