Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 31, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,262 of 1,999
Do you use it with an amp?
i do not with portable headphones. it's about the same overall vume output as an iphone 7 plus. very clean. no hiss. blind ab tested it and i can't tell it from reference with my etymotics. but woth my sennheiser hd600/akg q701 the output is less than ideal, like an iphone.

so for those i use my element amp. but I haven't tried the sony with the element yet. i have been focusing on tagging and getting my 400gb of music onto my sd card :p

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,263 of 1,999
i do not with portable headphones. it's about the same overall vume output as an iphone 7 plus. very clean. no hiss. blind ab tested it and i can't tell it from reference with my etymotics. but woth my sennheiser hd600/akg q701 the output is less than ideal, like an iphone.

so for those i use my element amp. but I haven't tried the sony with the element yet. i have been focusing on tagging and getting my 400gb of music onto my sd card :p

Is the NWA-45 going to be your main DAP?

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,264 of 1,999
Guys im new in sony party ,planning to buy nwa45 for the first time, i want to ask about charging they not come with charging adapter, when i check out in their official website guide they must to charging via computer usb, while in my case i dont use my computer recently, and im only have my phone adapter which is a samsung travel adapter its 5V 1A, so its is good enough / recommended for charge? Or i suppose buy sony wall adapter?(5V 2.1A)
Thanks in advanced

You are going to want a computer to prep, tag and transfer your music properly with this thing. It is a little picky with album art etc so there's a bit of work involved. I wouldn't expect anyone's music collection to come through 100% tagged first time with the NW-A45.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,266 of 1,999
You are going to want a computer to prep, tag and transfer your music properly with this thing. It is a little picky with album art etc so there's a bit of work involved. I wouldn't expect anyone's music collection to come through 100% tagged first time with the NW-A45.

Do you use the Sony software for organising and album art ?
I have just been drag and dropping using a Mac with various results, especially with art. I have tried using the size limits and format previously mentioned in the thread but still some show and others do not.

Also using the Sony software is it possible to have a folder within a folder ? For example I recently added the cranberries 4 disc edition of everybody else is doing it. When added to the SD card there are are 4 folders for each disc within one Album folder. On the unit itself it has joined all the tracks together so when I select the album there are 60 odd tracks rather then the 4 separate CDs.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,267 of 1,999
Do you use the Sony software for organising and album art ?
I have just been drag and dropping using a Mac with various results, especially with art. I have tried using the size limits and format previously mentioned in the thread but still some show and others do not.

Also using the Sony software is it possible to have a folder within a folder ? For example I recently added the cranberries 4 disc edition of everybody else is doing it. When added to the SD card there are are 4 folders for each disc within one Album folder. On the unit itself it has joined all the tracks together so when I select the album there are 60 odd tracks rather then the 4 separate CDs.

Thanks

fwiw, i use itunes woth 100% success on mac.

i download jpg format art. the key is this, and it is important as it is the best way to "embed" the art into the files... once you have opened a jpg in preview, copy the image. go to the iTunes song and go into the song tagging. pick the art tab and paste the image into that area.

it doesn't matter if there is already art there. it doesn't mean it is neccissarily embedded. if there is art there, select it, "cut" it with CMD-X and then paste it back and hit enter. this embeds the artwork. i have 100gb of music with 100% artwork on my a45.

i also never drag songs from itunes. always navigate to the music folder manually. you can right click a song and choose show in finder. or just browse your drive to your itunes folder. copy the files directly to the player from the finder. i do this with itunes running and have no issues.

lastly, i did have an issue where some songs (12 out of thousands) showed no tag info on the a45 and listed as unknown artist but showed fine everywhere else. i found the files were corrupt in some way. i reconverted them in itunes. in fact simply converting the existing file from lossless to lossless again in itunes seems to have fixed the corrupted tags and shouldn't lose any quality.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,268 of 1,999
fwiw, i use itunes woth 100% success on mac.

lastly, i did have an issue where some songs (12 out of thousands) showed no tag info on the a45 and listed as unknown artist but showed fine everywhere else. i found the files were corrupt in some way. i reconverted them in itunes. in fact simply converting the existing file from lossless to lossless again in itunes seems to have fixed the corrupted tags and shouldn't lose any quality.

Latest version of iTunes I think are screwing tags in some ways, I have the same problem with my a35.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,270 of 1,999
My A45 is kind of buggy. While creating the database after uploading files to the player, the screen goes black and does not respond to me pressing the power button to turn on the screen. It finally responds a minute or so later though. It does this every time. Is mine 'special' or is this normal behavior?

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,271 of 1,999
Thanks for checking on the dual-AptX mode.

I got an email back from the author of TagScanner and he says with the option in Edit mode: Keep ---> Recompress, art would all be saved to "Basic" not progressive. might be a bit of a language barrier. I have no way to try it since I do not have the A45 DAP yet.

https://www.xdlab.ru/en/

I used to use MediaMonkey to obtain album art from Amazon and this worked splendidly with this player. MediaMonkey stopped supporting it, however, so I had to use another program. The Discogs MediaMonkey add-on unfortunately, was buggy for me so I had to use Mp3Tag instead to download covers. The album art did not show up though, so I had to download yet another program as per your suggestion, TagScanner.

Thanks for your suggestion! Now they show up fine. Choose Keep on the top menu, then Recompress like stated, and remember to click the Save icon at the bottom right corner. I'm new to TagScanner, so I didn't know that pressing the Save button was necessary but it was. But then again, I'm an idiot.

So my workflow is like this:
MediaMonkey to quickly edit tags -> Mp3Tag to download album art -> TagScanner to recompress album art.

I could just use TagScanner to download album art, but I really don't want to register yet another program by having to log on to Discogs and allowing the program to get access. I already did that with Mp3Tag, so I'll use that for now. Despite the Amazon album art fiasco, though, I find MediaMonkey to be the easiest program in altering tags. It's also a music player, so it's integral to me.

I hope this helps someone having trouble with album art not showing up. My method is a pain in the rear with having to use three freakin programs, but it works I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,272 of 1,999
With regards to Sony WH-1000XM3 (my only regret is that I didn't buy this beauty earlier) in combination with A45: If you use headphones with A45 only, then no equalizers work whatsoever: headphones are set to default, changing equalizer settings within DAP doesn't work. Sound is OK nonetheless.
But if you use 1000XM3 with A45 in combination with iPhone, then the magic starts. The only important thing is: connect headphones to A45 first, connect to iPhone (Sony's Headphones app). Tehy won't connect other way around.
Then all equalizer settings from Headphones App are actively used during playback from A45.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,273 of 1,999
Is Opus #11 compatible with SONY NW-A46 player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back