Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,069 of 1,999
It probably is still worth changing the region to Japan using the SonyNWDestTool in order to unlock the line out and create playlists on the device, yes?

When you say "line out", do you mean the 'line in' recording feature?

As far as I was aware, the line out via the WM-Port cable is available to all destinations. I've been happily using the line out cable with the USA destination since I got the device about a month ago.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,070 of 1,999
Info on NW-A50 starting to trickle out

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-sony-nw-a50-walkman-to-debut-this.html. So it appears Sony will be making a slight form change to the A50. Apparently it will be slightly taller than the A40 more in line with the ZX300. Same battery so about the same battery life. Expected to have the same BT chip as A40 so nothing new bluetooth wise likely. Storage still the same at 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB. So what new features will Sony add info to follow. Again looks like Sony playing it safe. Not sure I like that it will be bigger, at this point the move by other manufacturers like Shanling is to go small and more portable. Seeing this info glad I went with the Shanling M0 instead of waiting on the A50.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,073 of 1,999
7F3AF07A-7F7E-4498-ADF6-A36BC2554AC7.jpeg
I believe the A40 and A15 doesn’t officially have a Line Out through the headphone out port. I have lying around the house a WM Port plug which I bought years ago from China where one end is a 3.5mm female. I connected this to my desktop amp and I think it is Line Out or at least it is to my ears. The volume on the A40 and A15 then is at a fixed non-adjustable level.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,074 of 1,999
Can't wait to see what the A50 will be like, though I probably won't be getting it since I own the A40 already.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #1,077 of 1,999
I believe the A40 and A15 doesn’t officially have a Line Out through the headphone out port. I have lying around the house a WM Port plug which I bought years ago from China where one end is a 3.5mm female. I connected this to my desktop amp and I think it is Line Out or at least it is to my ears. The volume on the A40 and A15 then is at a fixed non-adjustable level.

Sony has never advertised LO through the WMport as a feature even though it is possible with the right cable. Sony never offered their own cable capable of LO until very recently. I bought the Fiio L5 to use with my A17 but constantly plugging and unplugging it broke the connector. After that I just went HO and very happy with the results with different amps.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,078 of 1,999
Sony has never advertised LO through the WMport as a feature even though it is possible with the right cable. Sony never offered their own cable capable of LO until very recently. I bought the Fiio L5 to use with my A17 but constantly plugging and unplugging it broke the connector. After that I just went HO and very happy with the results with different amps.
I had the Fiio L5 too with my A15 but I recall that the volume out was very low. I have since misplaced the L5 but that very same A15 is now louder through this adapter.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,079 of 1,999
I had the Fiio L5 too with my A15 but I recall that the volume out was very low. I have since misplaced the L5 but that very same A15 is now louder through this adapter.

Yes I noticed that too and the low output was a big complaint with the A10 series. I found the results much better going HO to an external amp and I actually found it sounded better. Even just today listening to my A17 and Q1 stack I find I still really like how it sounds with my headphones even though it is almost 4 years old. Waiting on my Shanling M0 impatiently mostly because I wanted something new to try and the super small size vs having any issues with my A17 which is still working great. I see the M0 as a possible bridge DAP until I see what the A50 series brings to the table and can actual see one likely some time next year. I really also want to see other Shanling DAP's are coming out with their new OS and features. I would have no qualms buying another Sony DAP if they make it a worthwhile upgrade and finally ditch the WMport as it really hampers the flexibility compared to other makers DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back