Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,082 of 1,999
The Sony NW-A45 is $148 in Amazon US right now for those still interested. Sold by Amazon.

Same price on bhphotovideo and another reason I have come to hate Sony. They never offer discounts in Canada as A45 still selling for $298.00 CDN on amazon.ca. My Shanling M0 ships today (with a pre-order discount and 5% off coupon) and I am hoping it will be the DAP that gets me away from Sony finally. If LDAC is solid on the M0 there is no reason for me to get another Sony DAP and with any luck I can pair it with my Sony receiver and bluetooth speaker.

I have to wonder why the big price drop now?

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,083 of 1,999
Does anybody have the combinatiën of an NW45 and a B&W PX or another BT head phones other than of Sony?

I have to connect the head phones everytime I switch on the player. It paired it once.

More people with this (minor) problem?

Otherwise great combination! What a sound! I am reinventing all my music because I hear things I haven't heard before.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #1,084 of 1,999
Make sure the screen is on. Everything I have connects fine unless the screen is off. Seems to try to save power so BT shuts off if not actively transmitting when the screen times out. The A45 ignores stuff until you make it active and either turn the BT phones off and on again or manually connect themthrough the menu.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,085 of 1,999
Apparently the MSRP in general has been bumped down to $150 for the A45, which means that it's basically 30% cheaper now. No clue why they did this, buy I believe it has something to do with it being replaced by the new A50 that'll likely be introduced in the near future.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,086 of 1,999
I purchased a Samsung 128GB Evo+ microsd.

I noticed the database takes some time to build on powerup. Also adding soon s to a playlist takes some time.

Would there be an advantage to buying a higher performing card, sandisk pro extreme, delkin, lexar...which have read speeds that are twice as fast, 200MB/_sec, read speeds? These cards are very expensive, ~$180usd but would be worth it to me if there were noticeable improvements to database loading speed and adding to playlists on the fly.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,087 of 1,999
Really liking this little player. Using it solely for IEM use right now. Seems powerful enough. The UI is miles ahead of any Fiio player I've owned. LDAC works great with my Wh1000XM2 cans. One thing I do miss is the ability to click an artist that is part of a compilation album and go directly to that whole album.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,088 of 1,999
Is it not possible to 'add' a song/album to the current playing list?
I'm not asking about real playlists.

Because I can't find this basic option, if I want to pick two albums to play, I have to play one, then manually find the other and play that after.
Or create a new playlist of both albums.
But I just want to 'enqueue'!

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,089 of 1,999
Apparently the MSRP in general has been bumped down to $150 for the A45, which means that it's basically 30% cheaper now. No clue why they did this, buy I believe it has something to do with it being replaced by the new A50 that'll likely be introduced in the near future.

That isn't Sony's way in Canada anyway, you can still buy the A20 series here in Canada and the price is exactly the same for the A25 as for the A35 and A45, the same price it was when released 3 years ago. From talking to people I know in audio sales a big reason Sony is losing dealers at least here in Canada for their A series DAP's is they won't let dealers drop the price even when new models are coming out. The A50 will be announced at the IFA show in Germany in September just like last year and past years for Sony DAP's. So you might see the A50 in Asia in October or November and North America some time in 2019 the same time frame as the release for the A40 and A30 the last two years. They submitted the A50 to the FCC earlier this year likely due to a design change. The A50 design will be longer and thinner than the A40 series and more in line with the ZX300 shape. Not sure what else Sony has planned but it needs to be substantial based on what the Chinese DAP makers are now offering. I think Sony dropped the price on the A40 series because other manufacturers are now offering as much or more in performance and features as Sony is for less.

Other manufacturers aren't hobbled by a proprietary port and they can now offer LDAC just like Sony. Sony really doesn't offer anything to substantiate its A series DAP's from the competition in its price range.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,090 of 1,999
Finally bit the bullet and purchased the A45. I wanted to buy it last year in the US in Oct/Nov but they changed the date of release. Managed to get one for £100 so very happy (in black but would have preferred moonlit blue).

Just a few questions ...

Anyone use this player with the B&W PX ? How do they sound together ? Is there much difference wired compared to AptX HD ? As I think the PXs still use the internal DAC when wired.

As it's a UK spec player what needs to be done to move the EU sound restrictions and enable playlists ? Is there anything else that needs to be done to the player ?

Thanks

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,091 of 1,999
Finally bit the bullet and purchased the A45. I wanted to buy it last year in the US in Oct/Nov but they changed the date of release. Managed to get one for £100 so very happy (in black but would have preferred moonlit blue).

Just a few questions ...

Anyone use this player with the B&W PX ? How do they sound together ? Is there much difference wired compared to AptX HD ? As I think the PXs still use the internal DAC when wired.

As it's a UK spec player what needs to be done to move the EU sound restrictions and enable playlists ? Is there anything else that needs to be done to the player ?

Thanks
For the restrictions, read previous replies, I believe the wired form uses an analog signal hence the DA conversion takes place in the DAP and not the headphones. So in short, the headphones won’t receive a digital signal at all

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,092 of 1,999
For the restrictions, read previous replies, I believe the wired form uses an analog signal hence the DA conversion takes place in the DAP and not the headphones. So in short, the headphones won’t receive a digital signal at all

Wading through the thread but haven't come across the link yet.

Actually the B&W PXs still use their internal DAC when connected via Aux cable. Quote below from B&W rep

"The signal needs to be digitised via the internal DAC, so any input is being digitised for playback via the internal electronics/amplification of the PX headphones."

That's why I asked originally for opinions when they are wired to see if there is actually any difference then going via BT.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,095 of 1,999
can anyone help me with the volume limit tool please ? first time using command lines and not sure what I am doing wrong. https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Daniels-MBP: Downloads Danny$ sudo scsitool-nwz-v20.exe Daniels-MBP:WALKMAN: dest_tool get
sudo: scsitool-nwz-v20.exe: command not found

Above is what I have typed in the command window.
Received the player today, perfectly sized for me :hand_splayed:

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back