Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jun 3, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #976 of 1,999
Is it common knowledge that you can enable playlist creation on the A45?
I know that people are aware that you can remove the volume cap using SonyNWDestTool, but it's also possible to enable line in recording and playlist creation :)

I wrote about it here, showing before and after pictures.
https://jtm.gg/walkman-create-playlists/

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #977 of 1,999
I know that people are aware that you can remove the volume cap using SonyNWDestTool, but it's also possible to enable line in recording and playlist creation :)

Wow, thanks, Joshua! Did know about volume hack (with the same tool) and already done it, but I was unaware about the ability to make in-device playlists (apart from Bookmarks)! Going to hack it again tonight!

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #978 of 1,999
I ordered one this morning for delivery tomorrow from Amazon UK as you can pay for 3 years accidental damage now. Mainly because when I’m on holiday my Pono doesn’t respond well to the hot weather (I’m convinced that’s what caused my player to need a battery replacement a couple of years ago) and I can use it at the gym as well. Looking forward to getting it, as before my Pono is only had iPods from the 4th gen to the Classic.

Now I may just need to look at getting some good in ears...

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #979 of 1,999

One more thing it does, actually: it adds 1 more model of NC headphones to the 2 which were already there. Probably a Japan-only model, but still.
IMG_0382.JPG

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #980 of 1,999
Doesn't it strike as ridiculous and/or outrageous to do this in 2018?
I'll manage, but what about that audiophile dude, who doesn't know or care how a virtual machines work? And he shouldn't.
Sony keeps (*@&#$ things up and ppl keep on buying their stuff. Myself included. Blah! :)

P.S.: And now I need to transfer all the music from A45 to Media Center in order to analyze it there (why the hell can't it analyze it on a plugged-in SD card?!) and then transfer it back to the player. All 200gb of it. ***...

You can change the library in Media Center to the player files, You may be able to run the Sensme update from there.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #983 of 1,999
For music transfer, it's simple drag and drop, right?

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #985 of 1,999
Did Sony just shoot itself in the foot licensing LDAC?

I have been on the fence about buying this DAP and then I found out about the Shanling M0. For $110 US you get a super tiny DAP with LDAC and most of the best features the A45 offers. I mean I could buy 3 of these little suckers for the cost of one A45. Sure it doesn't have an FM radio (don't need) or MQA support (don't need) and battery life is only 15 hours vs 30 for Sony but it looks to have more power than the A45 and it is so small and easy to carry. So far it is getting very good reviews for sound quality and it could be available in Canada soon. I still can't walk into a store in Toronto and touch an A45 for god sakes. If Sony is going to ignore Canada I may now have a much cheaper option with LDAC which is the main reason to buy a Sony DAP.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #987 of 1,999
Is there a way to uncap the player on a Mac or is it windows only?
There's a linux version so it would probably compile ok for mac too.
I'll try compiling it for you :)

--
Ok, after making this change in the scsi makefile:
Code:
$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) -o $@ $^
to
Code:
$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $^
I got it to compile.

But no luck, although the program runs, it doesn't detect my device.
Using /dev/disk4 (where my device should be), doesn't work.
(Using /Volumes/Walkman doesn't work either)

So, I won't share it since it doesn't work, sorry!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #988 of 1,999
There's a linux version so it would probably compile ok for mac too.
I'll try compiling it for you :)

--
Ok, after making this change in the scsi makefile:
Code:
$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) -o $@ $^
to
Code:
$(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $^
I got it to compile.

But no luck, although the program runs, it doesn't detect my device.
Using /dev/disk4 (where my device should be), doesn't work.
(Using /Volumes/Walkman doesn't work either)

So, I won't share it since it doesn't work, sorry!

No problem. Thanks a lot for trying!

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #989 of 1,999
Received this player just today and what took me by surprise at first was that it didn't recognize either of my 32 GB and 64 GB Sandisk Ultra cards, taken directly from a Fiio X1 and a Fiio X5 II. When I would mount them onto the player, it does not even see them inserted, which was strange! I then proceeded to use a Sandisk Class 4 32 GB mSD card and it managed to recognize that, thank goodness. My firmware version is 1.10. I haven't updated that yet. Should I? Do updates expand the library of mSD cards recognized by the player?

Does anyone here use Ultra cards and have them not seen by the player, also?

Now for initial sound quality impressions. I've very impressed with it paired with the Phillips Fidelio L2s. Clarity is an improvement compared even to the Fiio X5 II, which was a nice surprise. Then again, I think that player sounds a tad muddled compared to other players I've owned.

I'm a bit worried why my Ultra cards are not read by the player, whatsoever. I'm also somewhat disappointed that there's no alphabetical search functionality like Fiio players. Sonically-wise, though, I'm more than satisfied.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back