Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jun 10, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #991 of 1,999
Received this player just today and what took me by surprise at first was that it didn't recognize either of my 32 GB and 64 GB Sandisk Ultra cards, taken directly from a Fiio X1 and a Fiio X5 II. When I would mount them onto the player, it does not even see them inserted, which was strange! I then proceeded to use a Sandisk Class 4 32 GB mSD card and it managed to recognize that, thank goodness. My firmware version is 1.10. I haven't updated that yet. Should I? Do updates expand the library of mSD cards recognized by the player?

Does anyone here use Ultra cards and have them not seen by the player, also?

Now for initial sound quality impressions. I've very impressed with it paired with the Phillips Fidelio L2s. Clarity is an improvement compared even to the Fiio X5 II, which was a nice surprise. Then again, I think that player sounds a tad muddled compared to other players I've owned.

I'm a bit worried why my Ultra cards are not read by the player, whatsoever. I'm also somewhat disappointed that there's no alphabetical search functionality like Fiio players. Sonically-wise, though, I'm more than satisfied.

I think nothink is wrong with yourd cards, same hapend to mo with a sandisk used in a Fiio X3 mark 3. You have to reformat the cards as out of the box, raw, and then insert in Sony and format there. There are many tools for that, for the moment i dont know what ive used, as i sont have access to my laptop

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #992 of 1,999
Received this player just today and what took me by surprise at first was that it didn't recognize either of my 32 GB and 64 GB Sandisk Ultra cards, taken directly from a Fiio X1 and a Fiio X5 II. When I would mount them onto the player, it does not even see them inserted, which was strange! I then proceeded to use a Sandisk Class 4 32 GB mSD card and it managed to recognize that, thank goodness. My firmware version is 1.10. I haven't updated that yet. Should I? Do updates expand the library of mSD cards recognized by the player?

Now for initial sound quality impressions. I've very impressed with it paired with the Phillips Fidelio L2s. Clarity is an improvement compared even to the Fiio X5 II, which was a nice surprise. Then again, I think that player sounds a tad muddled compared to other players I've owned.

I'm a bit worried why my Ultra cards are not read by the player, whatsoever. I'm also somewhat disappointed that there's no alphabetical search functionality like Fiio players. Sonically-wise, though, I'm more than satisfied.

Same thing happened to me, and it was really frustrating. Mine was formatted in a Fiio X3 2nd gen. Finally someone in this thread pointed me to this tool:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

It fixed it and my card started working on the A45. Hope this help.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #993 of 1,999
Same thing happened to me, and it was really frustrating. Mine was formatted in a Fiio X3 2nd gen. Finally someone in this thread pointed me to this tool:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

It fixed it and my card started working on the A45. Hope this help.

Your post was a godsend, friend. Formatted my card using that tool, and now the Walkman now detects my 64GB card. Thanks a million.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #994 of 1,999
Guys, my Walkman recreates the Database after every time I fully turn off my Walkman and back on again. Is this the norm?

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #995 of 1,999

Erase that. I didn't know that dragging the scroll bar while previewing files yields an alphabetical search functionality. Good enough for me.

And thank goodness for an FM radio option. Both of my Fiio players don't have this option.

Oh and sonically, this player is sublime coupled with my Fidelio L2s even with sound effects (besides the dynamic normalizer) turned off. I've owned the Sony X 1060s as well and from my recollection, this player beats it handily. Clarity-wise, it's a monster. As I said before, I prefer the sound quality even over the Fiio X5 II. Best sounding player I've heard so far. (And I've owned/own the Sansa Clips, Fiio X1, Fiio X5 II, Sony X1060s, etc.) I'm loving it!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #996 of 1,999
What's the max amount of songs that can fit into one Bookmarks list, does anyone know?

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,000 of 1,999
Erase that. I didn't know that dragging the scroll bar while previewing files yields an alphabetical search functionality. Good enough for me.

And thank goodness for an FM radio option. Both of my Fiio players don't have this option.

Oh and sonically, this player is sublime coupled with my Fidelio L2s even with sound effects (besides the dynamic normalizer) turned off. I've owned the Sony X 1060s as well and from my recollection, this player beats it handily. Clarity-wise, it's a monster. As I said before, I prefer the sound quality even over the Fiio X5 II. Best sounding player I've heard so far. (And I've owned/own the Sansa Clips, Fiio X1, Fiio X5 II, Sony X1060s, etc.) I'm loving it!
I agree it is a good sounding dap I love mine ..i still have my X1060 if i compare the two I would say the A45 has a wider soundstage and is more clearer

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,001 of 1,999

Did you have all your files structured under a music folder? Like music/flac/ if not that may be the problem with them.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,002 of 1,999
Is it possible to see the total time/hours of music played on the device?
I thought I read about it being somewhere on the player - but I really can't find it when I look in the settings.
Maybe because I have changed my device's region to Japan...? Strange.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,003 of 1,999
I got some MEE M6 Pro G2 IEMs today for the gym and the player desperately needed uncapping, fortunately I found an old windows laptop in a cupboard so I got it done within 5 minutes. It’s really made the difference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back