Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,022 of 1,998
Does anybody have any idea when on some multi disc albums each disc shows as a separate album while other don’t?

They are all tagged correctly with album artist and disc number.

I can’t work it out why for a majority of multidisc sets it’s fine but for a handful it isn’t

EDIT: I’ve worked it out. Some discs would have ‘the’ in the album titles whereas others would have ‘The’ so that’s why they ended up separated

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,023 of 1,998
That is the problem when you have a DAP that meets your needs, when should I update to a new one. I have gone back and forth on the A45 for months now because it doesn't offer anything I need that my 4 year old A17 doesn't already have. Not to mention getting less onboard memory with the A45 and slightly less battery life. I use Sony LDAC with my Sony receiver and bluetooth speaker so while Apt-X HD is nice to have I don't have any devices that support it and neither does anyone else I know. But with the M0 now you get a really portable DAP with USB-C and two way bluetooth support along with LDAC, plus more power than the A45 and I can save about $130.00 over the A45. The M0 is such a departure from what Sony is offering both old and new so maybe it is finally worth upgrading to Shanling and not Sony. Next month I can walk into my closest Shanling dealer and demo the M0 and likely buy one and chances are their won't be an A45 anywhere in site.

Sure I could wait until September and see what Sony offers with the A50 at the IFA show and then wait another year to not actually touch the A55 if I want to buy one. Naw!! I think I will move on and let Sony continue to circle jerk their Canadian customers without me. I am intrigued to see what Shanling will do with their new DAP's once they implement the features the M0 has in their higher end models. With the M0 being so cheap I could easily afford to upgrade down the road to the next Shanling M2 or even M3 once released. Not the case if I pony up for a Sony A45 now.
I still love the A45... like you i used to have the A17 and it was a nice little player but the A45 is a step up in sound and you will like the UI ..I think you should still get it is a great sounding device with a great bluetooth range, i am getting the hiby r3 soon i will compare the 2 but i suspect the r3 will have a leaner sound ,i will soon find out

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,024 of 1,998
Does anybody have any idea when on some multi disc albums each disc shows as a separate album while other don’t?

They are all tagged correctly with album artist and disc number.

I can’t work it out why for a majority of multidisc sets it’s fine but for a handful it isn’t

EDIT: I’ve worked it out. Some discs would have ‘the’ in the album titles whereas others would have ‘The’ so that’s why they ended up separated
That one is a tricky one. Check that the Album names artist name matches exactly among all discs. I think case sensitivity, extra space or comma or only one letter in different case does that. For example, if you have a title in one disc as The Wall Disc 1 and The Wall Disc 2, they will show separate or also The Wall and The wall.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,025 of 1,998
You can change the library in Media Center to the player files, You may be able to run the Sensme update from there.
Nope, didn't work. Even worse - Media Center crashes on Win10 virual machine every time it analyzes the data...
Is there a way to uncap the player on a Mac or is it windows only?
I did it under Win10 on virtual machine through Parallels. Seemed easier that way.
Guys, my Walkman recreates the Database after every time I fully turn off my Walkman and back on again. Is this the norm?
Yes, unfortunately. Look on the bright side - on A25/27 it took much and much longer.
Hey all, anyone have the definitive max gb you can use on a
Micro-sd Card for the NW-A45? I’m seeing conflicting answers. I’d like to buy a large capacity card so I can store a lot of songs in lossless formats.
I'm using 200Gb card without any issues.

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,026 of 1,998
I’m loving this player more everyday. The ability to listen to recent transfers is a godsend and the ability to move the order of songs in a bookmarks list is lovely! The bad thing though is that the player doesn’t notify you of duplicate songs in a bookmarks list. Is there a way to know that you have added a duplicate besides scrolling through the whole list?

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,029 of 1,998
I still love the A45... like you i used to have the A17 and it was a nice little player but the A45 is a step up in sound and you will like the UI ..I think you should still get it is a great sounding device with a great bluetooth range, i am getting the hiby r3 soon i will compare the 2 but i suspect the r3 will have a leaner sound ,i will soon find out

I am not saying the A45 is not a really good DAP and I was looking to get one for a long time. The UI on the Shanling M0 is very good as well and it boots up alot faster than the A45 does.

Bottom Line

For power - M0 wins
For battery - A45 wins
For price - M0 wins x2
For features I really want - tie including LDAC
For portability - M0 wins
For startup time - M0 wins
For onboard memory - A45 wins

So for all the things that are important for me in a DAP the M0 is the clear winner and I don't have to put up with Sony's total absence from local stores to demo. Maybe if I could have demoed the A45 I would have been so impressed I might have bought one. I guess I will never know!!

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,030 of 1,998
I am not saying the A45 is not a really good DAP and I was looking to get one for a long time. The UI on the Shanling M0 is very good as well and it boots up alot faster than the A45 does.

Bottom Line

For power - M0 wins
For battery - A45 wins
For price - M0 wins x2
For features I really want - tie including LDAC
For portability - M0 wins
For startup time - M0 wins
For onboard memory - A45 wins

So for all the things that are important for me in a DAP the M0 is the clear winner and I don't have to put up with Sony's total absence from local stores to demo. Maybe if I could have demoed the A45 I would have been so impressed I might have bought one. I guess I will never know!!
have you demoed the M0?

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,031 of 1,998
have you demoed the M0?

It is not available in Canada until July but I have pre-ordered one as the store offered a pre-order discount plus 5% off coupon. So for the price I am paying (less then half the A45) I am prepared to take a flyer on the M0 but the store offers 14 day return policy if it isn't for me and I can go to the store and return it unlike the A45. I have watched several youtube videos and it looks awesome. That they packed so many features into something that small alone makes me want to try it. The A45 is just a rehashed A17 in a shiny new package that actually offers less of what I want than my 4 year old A17!

Thing is Shanling is expanding their dealer network in Canada and the dealer I ordered it from is a brand new Shanling dealer. Sony is becoming more and more scarce. The dealer I usually buy and demo with sold the A35 but had such a hard time dealing with Sony and getting stock that they won't carry the A45. Best Buy Canada did sell the A series DAP's at one time but not anymore. I would literally have to drive 3 hours to get to a dealer that carries the A45 and I live in the 4th largest city in North America. The A45 being so hard to find in a city this size speaks to how poorly Sony must be doing in Canada.

I have demoed the Shanling M2S and M1 and liked them enough sound wise to take a look at the M0 sight unseen. Reviewers are saying the M0 sounds better than either of the M2S and M1 and is alot cheaper. Shanling is on the head-fi forum everyday getting feedback from users and listening to what they want. As we speak their engineers are looking to add podcast support as so many users have requested it. You never hear anything from Sony and they certainly don't take feedback from their potential customers. Shanling has LDAC support now so the one advantage Sony had for me doesn't exist anymore so why put up with Sony if I don't have to?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,032 of 1,998
It is not available in Canada until July but I have pre-ordered one as the store offered a pre-order discount plus 5% off coupon. So for the price I am paying (less then half the A45) I am prepared to take a flyer on the M0 but the store offers 14 day return policy if it isn't for me and I can go to the store and return it unlike the A45. I have watched several youtube videos and it looks awesome. That they packed so many features into something that small alone makes me want to try it. The A45 is just a rehashed A17 in a shiny new package that actually offers less of what I want than my 4 year old A17!

Thing is Shanling is expanding their dealer network in Canada and the dealer I ordered it from is a brand new Shanling dealer. Sony is becoming more and more scarce. The dealer I usually buy and demo with sold the A35 but had such a hard time dealing with Sony and getting stock that they won't carry the A45. Best Buy Canada did sell the A series DAP's at one time but not anymore. I would literally have to drive 3 hours to get to a dealer that carries the A45 and I live in the 4th largest city in North America. The A45 being so hard to find in a city this size speaks to how poorly Sony must be doing in Canada.

I have demoed the Shanling M2S and M1 and liked them enough sound wise to take a look at the M0 sight unseen. Reviewers are saying the M0 sounds better than either of the M2S and M1 and is alot cheaper. Shanling is on the head-fi forum everyday getting feedback from users and listening to what they want. As we speak their engineers are looking to add podcast support as so many users have requested it. You never hear anything from Sony and they certainly don't take feedback from their potential customers. Shanling has LDAC support now so the one advantage Sony had for me doesn't exist anymore so why put up with Sony if I don't have to?
just go with M0 !

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #1,033 of 1,998
have you demoed the M0?

It is not available in Canada until July but I have pre-ordered one as the store offered a pre-order discount plus 5% off coupon. So for the price I am paying (less then half the A45) I am prepared to take a flyer on the M0 but the store offers 14 day return policy if it isn't for me and I can go to the store and return it unlike the A45. Thing is Shanling is expanding their dealer network in Canada and the dealer I ordered it from is a brand new Shanling dealer. Sony is becoming more and more scarce. The dealer I usually buy and demo with sold the A35 but had such a hard time dealing with Sony and getting stock that they won't carry the A45. Best Buy Canada did sell the A series DAP's at one time but not anymore. I would literally have to drive 3 hours to get to a dealer that carries the A45 and I live in the 4th largest city in North America. The A45 being so hard to find in a city this size speaks to how poorly Sony must be doing in Canada.

I have demoed the Shanling M2S and M1 and liked them enough sound wise to take a look at the M0 sight unseen. Reviewers are saying the M0 sounds better than either of the M2S and M1 and is alot cheaper. Shanling is on the head-fi forum everyday getting feedback from users and listening to what they want. As we speak their engineers are looking to add podcast support as so many users have requested it. You never hear anything from Sony and they certainly don't take feedback from their potential customers. Shanling has LDAC support now so the one advantage Sony had for me doesn't exist anymore so why put up
just go with M0 !

I did!!

Just letting people know there is an alternative to Sony A45, has 90% of what A45 offers for less than 50% the cost. I would love to say a demoed both and made the best choice but that isn't possible with Sony

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,034 of 1,998

i just ordered one lol..i am going to compare it with my A45 i have so many daps now its unreal ..the size of the M0 intrigues me if it sounds as good as the sony or better its a winner ...the A45 is definitely better than the A17 soundwise i compared the two big difference is the treble and bass ..better impact to my ears

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,035 of 1,998
It is not available in Canada until July but I have pre-ordered one as the store offered a pre-order discount plus 5% off coupon. So for the price I am paying (less then half the A45) I am prepared to take a flyer on the M0 but the store offers 14 day return policy if it isn't for me and I can go to the store and return it unlike the A45. Thing is Shanling is expanding their dealer network in Canada and the dealer I ordered it from is a brand new Shanling dealer. Sony is becoming more and more scarce. The dealer I usually buy and demo with sold the A35 but had such a hard time dealing with Sony and getting stock that they won't carry the A45. Best Buy Canada did sell the A series DAP's at one time but not anymore. I would literally have to drive 3 hours to get to a dealer that carries the A45 and I live in the 4th largest city in North America. The A45 being so hard to find in a city this size speaks to how poorly Sony must be doing in Canada.

I have demoed the Shanling M2S and M1 and liked them enough sound wise to take a look at the M0 sight unseen. Reviewers are saying the M0 sounds better than either of the M2S and M1 and is alot cheaper. Shanling is on the head-fi forum everyday getting feedback from users and listening to what they want. As we speak their engineers are looking to add podcast support as so many users have requested it. You never hear anything from Sony and they certainly don't take feedback from their potential customers. Shanling has LDAC support now so the one advantage Sony had for me doesn't exist anymore so why put up

I did!!

Just letting people know there is an alternative to Sony A45, has 90% of what A45 offers for less than 50% the cost. I would love to say a demoed both and made the best choice but that isn't possible with Sony
Imo, i did manage to demo both, and i got the sony A45 hahahaha i wasnt a bluetooth guy and if i had to go bluetooth, its kinda pointless to go to a DAP hahaha. I tried both and i felt M0 had certain buggy flags, feel wasnt as good, UI sony is better, and sound wise i felt sony is fuller and less thin, but of coursesome people wouldnt see the value in overpriced sony and i wouldnt disagree that sony has many shortcomings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back