Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
May 16, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #946 of 1,999
Anyone have idea about how the A45 compares to some portable dac amp like the oppo HA2? I am currently using the oppo but as iOS progress it's cutoff issue getting more serious and I am planning to replace it with the A45

May 16, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #947 of 1,999
Anyone have idea about how the A45 compares to some portable dac amp like the oppo HA2? I am currently using the oppo but as iOS progress it's cutoff issue getting more serious and I am planning to replace it with the A45

I'm not sure what you mean by cutoff, but the A45 does suffer a noticible audio delay by half a second or so. Although the DAC feature works nicely despite the delay, I wouldn't recommend getting it just for this feature alone.

May 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #948 of 1,999
I'm not sure what you mean by cutoff, but the A45 does suffer a noticible audio delay by half a second or so. Although the DAC feature works nicely despite the delay, I wouldn't recommend getting it just for this feature alone.

I am planning to use it as a stand-alone device with uerr, just want to see if anyone compared the sound quality with the Oppo HA- 2 which uses es9018k2m dac

May 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #949 of 1,999
I am planning to use it as a stand-alone device with uerr, just want to see if anyone compared the sound quality with the Oppo HA- 2 which uses es9018k2m dac

I haven't A/B'd with the Oppo HA-2 directly, but I own a pair of UERRs and use the A35 as my daily commuting DAP. Frankly the pair sounds very good, and I'm perfectly content and don't feel a need to upgrade (which is a relief in this hobby). 2 cents.

May 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #950 of 1,999

I can't speak for the HA-2 but I previously had a Centrance DACport HD, Dragonfly Red, and AK300. The Dragonfly Red uses a similar ESS Sabre DAC, while the other two use the AK4490 DAC. The A45 is less expansive, has a smaller sound stage, and is less detailed than any of the others. It's also less powerful and has issues driving higher impedance cans to their full potential. All that said, I still think the output sounds better than any of my phones or laptops.

May 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #955 of 1,999
my NW-A45 is on its way to me, forgive my ignorance but what does USB Dac means and what do I use it for?
Means you can plug it into lets say your computer, by using the walkman cable supplied, it will bypass your computer's Sound chip and use your NW-A45 S-master HX, hence after you plug it in, you will need to plug into your walkman to hear anything. Once you plugged in (lets say your laptop) the laptop speakers will not produce any sound, but you have to plug your earphones or headphones into the Walkman to hear anything.

May 23, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #956 of 1,999
I have quite a few daps and now as well this little Sony. I am very impressed. I use it exclusively for IEMs. Tested it for a few hours with Noble K10 (multi BA) IMR R1 (single DD) and UE11Pro (multi BA) and the sound is really really dynamic and powerful. Given the size, the UI and overall sound quality and build quality, I must say that this little device is a keeper!

Cheers.

May 24, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #957 of 1,999
Means you can plug it into lets say your computer, by using the walkman cable supplied, it will bypass your computer's Sound chip and use your NW-A45 S-master HX, hence after you plug it in, you will need to plug into your walkman to hear anything. Once you plugged in (lets say your laptop) the laptop speakers will not produce any sound, but you have to plug your earphones or headphones into the Walkman to hear anything.
I don't think I fully understood but I got an idea, so what's the use of connecting it to my laptop when I could plug my headphones directly into the Walkman?, once again sorry for my stupid questions, I'm learning.

May 24, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #958 of 1,999
I don't think I fully understood but I got an idea, so what's the use of connecting it to my laptop when I could plug my headphones directly into the Walkman?, once again sorry for my stupid questions, I'm learning.
Once connected to your laptop, the Walkman will be processing the sound for the laptop, meaning you can connect it to headphones or speakers or whatever and listen to things you have on your laptop rather than just the Walkman. e.g. if you had music on your laptop that was not on your walkman, if you were watching a movie, etc.

May 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #959 of 1,999
Once connected to your laptop, the Walkman will be processing the sound for the laptop, meaning you can connect it to headphones or speakers or whatever and listen to things you have on your laptop rather than just the Walkman. e.g. if you had music on your laptop that was not on your walkman, if you were watching a movie, etc.
thanks, I got it

May 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #960 of 1,999
Do any of you guys know where the battry is located on the A45? I just noticed that a very small buldge is showing up on the left backside of the device and I'm worried that the battery might be expanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back