1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by bizkid, Jul 11, 2017.
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last
  1. chinerino
    Yeah what James said, plus a few more daps to consider recently , HiBy, acoustic Research, iBasso and as well as lower tiers Onkyo and Pioneer are sometimes lowered to A40 price range !

And yeah just to show how the connection works for other A40 wm ports stuff image.jpg image.jpg

gimmeheadroom and JusOr like this.
  2. chinerino
    Basically clear audio just automatically changes EQ for you and probably other settings, idea behind it is like a preset EQ vs manual. Trust your ears more and don’t bother about anything else actually, sometimes placebo hits you and too many factors around to affect what you actually prefer over time

Leetransform25 likes this.
  3. cagas
    I was using Pha-1a previously. Then i got the a45. Definitely much more power in the pha1a. But I prefer the clarity from a45...ultimately sold off the pha1a. But pha1a does a better dac amp than a45 as dac amp.

4. chinerino
    i would say the A40 does have slight edge in clarity too! , but the warmness/big sound of the amp does help for a mood change

5. Ivan4you
    Clearaudio sucks.Turn off all the settings that change your audio.Except the EQ with these custom settings: +3+2 0 +2+2+3 .You will get a sound that you never heart before.

6. gimmeheadroom
    Thanks for the pics, this is helpful. Is the connector that goes into the amp a "regular" USB connector?

7. gimmeheadroom
    Again I don't get it. The wmport connector on the device side is some proprietary connector. But the other side is USB. So clearly that connector isn't providing line out. But it seems like a better solution to have USB out than line out in many cases. A lot of good DACs don't have line in obviously. Many DACs don't have analog in at all. I just bought a Chord Mojo to use as a desktop DAC and I am happy with it. But I can't use it as a standalone amp for my FiiOs because they don't have USB out...

8. chinerino
    No a normal usb connector, the PHA 1A has wire connectors specifically for WM port stuff for the inputs, it has the "Sony devices" input and an USB inputs for like "Apple and any other that its compatible with" however i can use it with my computer too, its quite complicated so i guess i can PM u with Pics its easier.

9. chinerino
    Perhaps think of it this way, coz many people already has an analog amp that they liked.

1- I already have an amp that needs a line out from a device hence to utilize everything, i should get a device with decent SQ/UI (or anything) and a LINE OUT
    2- I really like the sound of my USB DAC (MOJO) which is pretty damn good but my fiio dont have USB out which sucks coz i cant use it for protable transport now and once i use fiio, i cant use my mojo
    3- I already have a DAP and im in search of an amp, but as far as i know theres almost no digital amp then wont by pass my own dac which i find it silly that a dap is now just a transport and i dont want to double amp it either.

USB connections are all digital and they will bypass your own dac which makes having a dap pointless unless you really like a particular signature that the dac amp provies for a change now and then

10. handwander
    There are a few functional differences, between the NWA-35 and 45, but no real sound differences, correct? Was contemplating a 45 but saw I could buy a used 35 for around 6000円 less.

11. Leetransform25
    Aside from features like the USB DAC (and a couple other things I'm not too sure of), I dont think there's many differences, including sound quality. I heard that the UI on the A35 is a bit laggy in comparasion to the A45, so I would keep that in mind too.

I don't actually own an A35, so my 2 cents might not be the most reliable. If you're not too concerned over features like the USB DAC or potential lag on the device, it might not be a bad idea to get the A35 if you're able to get a used one for cheaper.

handwander likes this.
  12. handwander
    Alright thanks. will try to test them out in person this week but leaning towards the 35 for now.

Leetransform25 likes this.
  13. cagas
    Go test both out. There is a difference to me. I tested with my own IEMS at my local Sony center. They are loaded with the same files.. so its easy to compare. There is a bit more clarity and resolution in A45, enough for me to differentiate and added with other features like MQA support, USB DAC, more bluetooth support.. i went with the A45 although A35 was on heavy discount back then.

handwander and Leetransform25 like this.
  14. Leetransform25
    Now that you mention it, I do recall there being MQA and better Bluetooth support as well. Thanks for heling me fill in, I've never got to use the A35 so I wasn't able to answer all that well haha

15. Leetransform25
    Also, does the A45 have capacitors like the ZX300 where they need burn in? If so, how many hours would it take for the sound to improve, and how much of a difference will there be? I have somewhere around 180 hours of playback at a 20-45 volume level, and as far as I can tell I don't think I've really heard a difference yet. I don't know too much about this, so sorry if this is a obvious or stupid question.

First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last