Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #331 of 1,311
just listened U2's "vertigo" , they sounds like they play in a small room and bono is singing right in front of me , while edge and adam play nicely with their guitar and bass right beside bono then larry hit and kick his drum perfectly but i think he forgot something.. he forgot to hit the cymbal... maybe he hit it but i can't hear it because the other three play to close to me... i can't believe what i've heard... i play with all the tips already... just not work... 

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #332 of 1,311

[size=9pt]I have to make my official announcement.  EX1000>MDR7550>EX600.  Period, the end.  The EX1000 just has better clarity, air, separation, micro detail, ambience and dynamic range.  Oh well.  Sending all the phones on their respective ways.[/size]

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #333 of 1,311

Bottom line, it sounds like you may a defective pair more than a fake or fit issue. Send them back and ask for a new pair, or order from somewhere else.
Quote:
just listened U2's "vertigo" , they sounds like they play in a small room and bono is singing right in front of me , while edge and adam play nicely with their guitar and bass right beside bono then larry hit and kick his drum perfectly but i think he forgot something.. he forgot to hit the cymbal... maybe he hit it but i can't hear it because the other three play to close to me... i can't believe what i've heard... i play with all the tips already... just not work... 

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #334 of 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got both but haven't done a direct comparison yet (I don't really enjoy A/B'ing phones), but I intend to pretty soon.

From memory, I'd say there's a bit more bass quantity, with a bit more mid-bass on the 99s, but bass, on the whole, is not quite as refined as on the 600s, but still very good, better than many top-tiers. As for mids, the 99s have the edge over the 600s (a bit more forward, fuller, not in-your-face, very nice), and treble is a little smoother on the 600s. Soundstage is very good on both, but on the 600s is a little wider. At higher volumes the CKM99s can be a little fatiguing with some music after a while due to their more V-shaped type of sound. At low volumes I think both are close, but might prefer the 99s (would need to confirm this).

**Really need to compare both directly to confirm the above comments, so take these with a grain of salt. I will say, however, the CKM99 is an excellent phone - beautiful design, great build-quality (better than the 600s though no detachable cables), VERY comfortable, fairly decent seal & isolation and better for outside use, but cable is a bit microphonic and has no chin slider.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide on which one to get. I guess my decision should be based on what's more important to me, SQ (the EX600) or build quality/comfort/isolation (the CKM99).

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #335 of 1,311
Quote:
new member here. just got my ex600 two days ago for $149 from US ebay , has burned in about 20 hours with pink noise and every kind of music... no luck for me , i think i got the fake one... sound quality completely muddy and i can't hear the treble!!! only pretty good bass and very very forward mid that kill the treble and the soundstage... my ex510 and ex500 ( got it from nearest sony center here in sydney ) sound's much better and much clearer with bigger soundstage.. i might just return it.. i never thought i got the fake one and never thought there are fake ex600 already out there. very very disapointed after reading so many good reviews here... :frowning2:  sorry for my poor english..

Possibly a bad fit, with the tips angled vs. the ear canal, flexing and partly obstructing the nozzle. Try pushing the tips all the way onto the nozzle or try different tips if available.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #336 of 1,311
The EX600 just keeps getting better and better to my ears. Checking my receipt to make sure I just paid $150. I have never heard a dynamic driver iem this clear before. Bass is spot on through the fiio e7/e9.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #337 of 1,311
EX600 - My particular unit

Left housing (raw): 3.35g (0.118oz)
Right housing (raw): 3.40g (0.120oz)
Long cable (raw): 13.40g (0.473oz)

Measuring instrument: Fulgor Model 205295, serial number #5077, manufactured January 24th 1955 in Cavaria, Varese, Italy and certified by Santini & Maffioli.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #338 of 1,311

Quote:
The EX600 just keeps getting better and better to my ears. Checking my receipt to make sure I just paid $150. I have never heard a dynamic driver iem this clear before.

You think it has more clarity than the FX700?  Not sure I'd agree with that.  RE0 was damned clear as well.  Didn't have enough time with the 262 to remember but I don't recall it suffering at the hand of the EX600.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #339 of 1,311
I can say for certain that the FX500s (with shallow insertion) have just as much clarity and yet more detail than the EX600 comparing them side by side. And no the FX500s aren't harsh and the extension is amazing. The RE262s driver is actually faster than the EX600s and has good clarity as well but it's sound is more colored towards the midrange. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #340 of 1,311

Clarity and micro details are different. Overall, yes, I think it has a little bit more clarity than the FX700 (or at least they're equal). Now this might be because the mids are more more forward to my ears and I just hear an overall more cohesive and clear dynamic iem than I remember the FX700. That's not suggesting at all that the FX700 is not a clear dynamic. On micro details, the FX700 wins hands down. Now, I just have to hear where does the EX1000 stand on micro details.
Quote:
You think it has more clarity than the FX700?  Not sure I'd agree with that.  RE0 was damned clear as well.  Didn't have enough time with the 262 to remember but I don't recall it suffering at the hand of the EX600.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #341 of 1,311
I think the EX600s have more clarity in the midbass/lower mids than the FX700s (FX500s are also better in this region) but that's were it ends for the Sonys. Upper mids and treble are about the same in terms of clarity but the FX700/500s are more refined and put out a bit more micro-details. I tested the treble range and the Xcape v1 (which is similar to the RE0 in the treble) has more treble extension than the EX600 but the FX500s have more extension than both. All in all these are still very amazing for the price, it's one of the few IEMs that are pushing the envelope at this price range like the GR07 and DBA02. For my taste, I think these sound more natural than those last mentioned thought. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #342 of 1,311
By the way, the medium hybrid with the foam insulation inside of the silicon cover are really doing it for me. For some some freakish reason unbeknownst to me, I am able to get a deep insert with these EX600. It can get a bit uncomfortable sometimes with such a deep fit, however, and that reminds me to pull them out a bit.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #343 of 1,311
Honestly the Sony's could use custom tips.  That should add to the debate.  
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #345 of 1,311

Quote:
Wait,

Year and a half back, didn't ACS make custom tips for any IEM that you would GLaDly send them (someone got ACS tips for the IE 8)?

Still do.  Westone too (not sure about large canals though).  Vinyl or Silicone.  Forget who did Kunlun's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back