Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #301 of 1,311
I think I will like the fx700, lol, though I have bought the ex600 to give it a chance.

Quote:
OT but I wasn't impressed by the SE215s at all when I briefly listened to them. Bass is a bit too loose, mids are colored and treble is too laid back.  They're solid, but nothing special, the Xcape v1s on the other hand are like a mini EX600. Both sound very alike IMO, with the EX600 sounding more spacious and dynamic. 

@Eric I think that muddiness is that midbass bleed on the FX700s, some like it some don't and it's there even with a shallow seal (thought to a lesser extent). EX600s are clearer, but the refineness of each is comparable, hard to say which is better there. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #302 of 1,311

Quote:
Its more refined in the bass but after that I would give it to the FX700s but the 600s are close. 

Agreed on the bass.  Mids are a wash, maybe, but treble goes to FX700 IMO.  The FX700 still has that magic wood and metal timbre once you get the tips dialed in.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #303 of 1,311
Sorry, wrong post, wrong thread. Anyone know where I could try these out? There's a Sony Style store at my mall but sadly it only has around 3 headphone displays non of which are of any considerable quality.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #304 of 1,311
lower mids? I edited my post to add that aswell.

Timbre is still very "special" on the FX700s (and 500s). When I say special I really do mean it, because the timbre is still unbeaten with certain instruments. It's not even close really when the synergy is there, but it isn't as much of a all-rounder in terms of tonality as the EX1000s. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #305 of 1,311
Wood is very special when it comes to acoustic properties. Hey, why not an ultra-hard zirconium shell and a rosewood lining for an IEM?
OK, so. $150 contenders. FX700 (did it really drop that much?), EX600, uh... RE262 and GR07?

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #308 of 1,311

Quote:

So you and ericp10 find the EX600 as refined as the FX700?  Am I reading that correctly?

Anax, I find the EX600 very close to the enjoyment I got from the FX700. It's really hard to say which one is better because, as you and Inks both know, I'm going by memory regarding the FX700. But you did say "...as refinded as the FX700?" So, I guess my answer would be yes. The EX600 definitely sounds clearer and tighter (overall) than I ever remember the FX700 sounding. Tonality on trumpet and trombone, for example, are just wonderful to my ear coming out of the Sony. The FX700 excelled in electric guitars (more so than the EX600), but I think the Sony has the JVC beat slightly in acoustic instruments (cello and acoustic guitar). Also, the all important mid-drums of the drum kit sound quite better to me than I remember in the FX700. I'm sure part of this has to do with the more forward mids on the EX600. FX700 is still king in low clear bass notes and kick drums, but that doesn't mean the EX600 is bass-lite by any stretch of the imagination. I am to get a pretty deep solid fit with the Sony hybrid ML tips. It helps the bass out immensely. I can't remember hearing anything better at this price range (not considering higher- prices iems that decreased in cost). And these are outright beating out some higher-end $300 iems right now (don't want to call out names just yet).

Inks - Yes, I do like the 215, but it really required a lot of burn-in to get to the place where I enjoy it. The bass is more than initially, but not as deep as the EX600. I would agree with your assessment on the treble, but mids are something else to my ears. Comparing mids for pure enjoyment, the EX600 and 215 are almost tied for me, but different sound signatures. Also, the EX600 is a clearer/cleaning sounding dynamic iem with more details. The EX600 is harder to drive though, even driving it with its sister product, the Sony S-545. I almost had to push it to 30 to get a decent sound level for my ears. With other iems I usually can't go pass 19 (staying about 16 to 17 usually). I can't wait to hear the EX1000, but from what I've read, even if they are better sounding than the EX600, it won't be worth it to me to pick them up with that great price difference, but apparently only minutely better in sound than its little brother.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #309 of 1,311

Quote:
Its more refined in the bass and lower mids but after that I would give it to the FX700s but the 600s are close. 

X2

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #310 of 1,311
Am I prepared to say that the EX600 is an overall better iem than the FX700? No I'm not. But it's damn close! The FX700 is still my favorite universal iem out of all universal iems I have ever heard. And it's my second favorite iem, period, next to the 1964-Q. But the EX600 is knocking on the door like hell to take the FX700's place. I think the fact that it doesn't have that magical all-wood driver and shell will preclude it from ever quite getting into that spot (but it does have a foot pushed inside of the door).

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #311 of 1,311
It's hard to say whether the 600s are only slightly minutely below the EX1000s, I know Anax doesn't seem to agree. I heard the EX1000s briefly as well and it did sound clearer, lusher and more dynamic but due to the circumstances it's hard to say the extent of those differences. 

It's funny but I think trombone, trumpet, cello and acoustic guitar sound better on the FX700s and electric guitars on the EX600s. Brass instruments in general sound great (though the FX500s do some better), it does have a brass cone afterall. FX700's laid back mids don't take away from the timbre (treble and bass usually have more of a say) of midrange instruments at all it's just presentation. This is with a shallow seal and moderate volume levels which are the niche of the JVCs. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #312 of 1,311

Quote:
It's hard to say whether the 600s are only slightly minutely below the EX1000s, I know Anax doesn't seem to agree. I heard the EX1000s briefly as well and it did sound clearer, lusher and more dynamic but due to the circumstances it's hard to say the extent of those differences. 

It's funny but I think trombone, trumpet, cello and acoustic guitar sound better on the FX700s

x2

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #313 of 1,311

Quote: ericp10
The EX600 is harder to drive though, even driving it with it's sister product, the Sony S-545.

My PMP is a Sony S-639. Volume always goes to 30 when using the IE8s with it. The cx500 sound loud enough around 20.

I'm worried i might need more juice when pairing the S-639 and the EX600
frown.gif

and Inks, I'm eagerly awaiting that $150 Dynamic IEMs shootout on your sig!

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #314 of 1,311
On an unrelated side note, remember a while ago in this thread I laughed at the "Beat Audio TT-X" thing? Well apparently I was wrong.
It is not the IEM that shifts the electron flow between the three channels. This "feature" is employed by swapping cables with "built-in electron deviating modules". Apparently you would buy many cables with different "modules" and carry them with you. When you change the music to another genre, you swap the cables.
You know what? I don't even know which one is worse.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #315 of 1,311

Quote:
On an unrelated side note, remember a while ago in this thread I laughed at the "Beat Audio TT-X" thing? Well apparently I was wrong.
It is not the IEM that shifts the electron flow between the three channels. This "feature" is employed by swapping cables with "built-in electron deviating modules". Apparently you would buy many cables with different "modules" and carry them with you. When you change the music to another genre, you swap the cables.
You know what? I don't even know which one is worse.

I wonder: would anyone ever do this? I mean, this is Head-fi, so people do carry around some pretty bulky rigs, but this just seems absurd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back