Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #286 of 1,311
OK. Doing some listening from the WM-D6C. Yes, tape.
Uh... Hiss. That's fore sure. Thankfully there's Dolby, an engineering marvel (this is personal - I believe pylons are also engineering marvels), you practically don't hear hiss when there's music.
Boy, I have a nasty habit of using recorders as DAPs don't I? Anyway.
Um. Warmth. This is lush and transparent at the same time. There is an enhanced "Live" feeling with tape. Sound-stage is considerably smaller than the PCM-D50 but I'm not saying "worse". Just smaller.
Also listening on this machine makes me forget about bass for some reason. Probably the Live feeling. The PCM-D50 has a general coldth (as opposed to warmth) with a somewhat distant mid-range and quite lean bass. So that's somethin'.

EDIT: OK I'm going out on whatever limbs I have left and say that the generally bad (by today's standards) channel separation (i.e. increased crosstalk) of the compact cassette contributes to be more realistic sound-stage.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #287 of 1,311
The EX600 and jazz was a love affair at first listening. They were meant for each other. So natural sounding, especially in reproduction of horns. Also, nice symmetry between the EX600 and the fiio e7/e9.  There is more than enough bass coming out these iems, and I couldn't hear any outside noise with them in my ears coming home from work. So I'm able to get a nice isolation-fit. I'm still going to experiment with different tips though.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #288 of 1,311
Got my EX600s this morning (European version with 2 cables). Will A/B both my EX600 & EX1000 and post my initial impressions later today or tomorrow.

Also got an original EX1000 spare cable - my EX1000 is the American version that comes with the EX600 cable - and will also check if there are any sonic differences between cables (which I very much doubt).

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #289 of 1,311
Had a quick 20-minute session with the EX600 and I'm currently burning them in with pink noise. In the meantime, here's a few pics of the EX600 & EX1000 as well as both cable types:

Below EX600 plug on the right.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #291 of 1,311
So, a few more observations about the EX600 with about 15 hours of burn-in: These are the clearest dynamics I have ever heard. Now, the FX700 is very clear and has more micro-details, but the EX600 are overall - to my ears - clearer and more refined. There's a minute smear of muddiness in the FX700 (this is going by memory to be fair) that I haven't detected in the EX600.

And while I still love the unique layered sound of the DDM, that two-driver dynamic just can't compete with the EX600 in clarity and transparency. Yes, the sound signatures of the EX600 and FX700 are different, but both are comparable and darn well equal with unique natural-sounding timbres.

The EX600 isn't as speedy as the my BA 1964-Q, but it has gotten better with rock music with some burn-in. Rock still isn't the EX600's forte. But this is a jazz lover's (vocal or instrumental) universal iem dream in my humble opinion. Just the right amount bass and the mids are wonderful (although I actually dig the mids on the Shure SE215 more).

I did a little experimenting with other tips and found that you the Sony hybrids work best with their ear monitor. You just have to find the right size for your ears. The IE8 double-flanges, however, really increase the bass in these. The same result with the white Monster foam hybrids. The only drawbacks to both of those tips is that you can't get a good deep seal.

I really don't see how the EX1000 can sound much better than the EX600, except for perhaps more micro-details. I should hear the EX1000 shortly, however, once a pair of loaners reach me.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #293 of 1,311
Quote:
And while I still love the unique layered sound of the DDM, that two-driver dynamic just can't compete with the EX600 in clarity and transparency. Yes, the sound signatures of the EX600 and FX700 are different, but both are comparable and darn well equal with unique natural-sounding timbres.

x2, and glad to see that you seem to like the EX600 as much as I do. If it weren't for their peculiar fit, low isolation and wind noise, these would be absolute bang/buck winners in my book.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #294 of 1,311

These are my initial impressions after A/B'ing both EX600 & EX1000, both with EX600 cables. 

But before I get to that, I'll talk about the cables: I have to say I have not heard any sonic differences between the EX600 & the real EX1000 cable - none whatsoever. Both were only tested on my EX1000 IEM (didn't want to spend time trying both cables on the EX600). 

The EX1000 cable is exactly as I remembered it from the loaner set I got back in April. The cable is thicker but VERY light and somehow less prone to tangling and a little more flexible than the EX600 cable. Also, the type of plastic used on the EX1000 cable has quite a different feel to it and it's a little less microphonic even than the EX600 cable, which already has virtually no microphonics. The overall quality is better - I was rather disappointed when I saw the American EX1000 not only came with just one single cable but, more importantly, that Sony had decided to use the lower-quality EX600 cable for an IEM that is officially worth $300 more. However, as noted elsewhere, the strain relief on the EX600 cable may prove better in the long run. As it is right now I'm quite happy I have the original EX1000 cable as it feels stronger, looks smarter and matches the better build quality of the EX1000 earphone.

Right, now to the sonic differences between the EX1000 & EX600: 

Unlike a couple of people who have reported harsh treble on the EX600s right out of the box, I have to say I didn't find that to be the case with my set. I also didn't notice a difference with my EX1000 out of the box or even after a few weeks, nor did I notice a difference between my fresh EX1000 pair and (from memory) the EX1000 loaner set I got 2 months ago, of which the owner also reported not hearing a difference after burn-in. That said, after a quick 20-minute listening session with the EX600, I left them burning-in for 6 hours with pink noise (just in case) as I always do with all my phones.

The EX600 & EX1000 share the same sound sig, absolutely no question about that. Much like the EX1000s, the EX600s do very well with any music genre and any differences in SQ I attribute more to the quality of a particular recording and/or mastering rather than to specific music genres.

Generally speaking the EX1000s sound to me as if I was listening to a higher bitrate file, ie the same sound from same source and phone but with improved SQ (on the EX1000s). I liken it more or less to going from 128 kbps to 192/256 kbps, not really from 192 to 256 where I personally can't (if ever) hear a real difference in SQ. I know there are qute a few people out there who claim they can hear all these differences between 192, 256, 320 kbps & lossless files. I remain very sceptical about the whole "you've got to use lossless files" mantra often seen on HF and, gladly, I've confirmed what my ears hear after also reading about a couple of proper tests carried out by some audio experts - this 'debate' reminds me of a couple of Stradivarius vs some other high-quality violin tests that have been conducted. But I digress.

-- Anyway, on a few tracks the low-end on the EX1000, specially the lower, sub-bass type of bass, has a little more body, slightly more rumble & better definition. On pieces with less deep bass, the low-end still sounded a little more defined & refined.

-- The treble, though definitely not harsh, doesn't sound as smooth as on the EX1000s, the difference being quite small and this can be more OR less evident depending on the piece of music being tested.

-- I had more trouble finding differences between the mid-range as differences were more evident at both ends of the spectrum, but at times I could barely hear the mids having a tad more definition/clarity and 'roundness'.

-- Soundstage: I hear no real difference between both phones, although the slightly better rendering of low frequencies may contribute to a slightly more expansive feel - this is very subtle.

I'd like to point out that all these differences, for the most part, were rather subtle and not immediately apparent but they became more evident/easier to detect at higher volumes, when both IEMs were being put to the test to see if they were able to perform so well. Again, at times it felt like when comparing different bitrate files, sometimes these differences were more audible than others also depending on the track being used. I have to say the EX1000 was always effortless, but the EX600 was always very close.

So, would I recommend to people the EX1000 over the EX600? Yes, if they're prepared to pay a premium for a small increment in SQ and better build quality - I personally fall into this category, so I'll definitely be keeping my EX1000s. BUT, I'd certainly recommend the EX600s to most people as it is indeed an incredibly good phone, specially considering its price. Paying $175-$200 for the EX600 will make some people think, SPECIALLY here on HF, they're not getting high-end SQ - well, they would most definitely be wrong. The EX600 is a truly excellent phone and, as I suspected, I now consider it one of the very best bang-for-the-buck phones available at present (for those in search of top SQ). I have no reservations in saying that the EX600 is a true top-tier universal IEM, up there with the W4, UM3X, TF10, CK100 & IE8 (the best top-tier IEMs I've heard apart from the EX1000).

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #295 of 1,311

Quote:
x2, and glad to see that you seem to like the EX600 as much as I do. If it weren't for their peculiar fit, low isolation and wind noise, these would be absolute bang/buck winners in my book.
smile_phones.gif

Usually I can be sure if you like something I will like it too @ james444. We seem to appreciate the same sound signatures for the most part. I have to admit, however, that these had me being the most skeptical, even after you and cn11 raved about its big brother, the EX1000. I was like james444 is slipping some...lol

Well, I was wrong. You still have a good ear for top-quality iems. I still feel that no universal touches the one custom I've heard (the 1964-Q), but many do get close at chipping away at some great aspects of the custom. And what's even more remarkable is how good iems are getting at the $100-$150 price point (surpassing in some cases iems that cost double or triple as much). The EX600, and to a little lesser extent the 215, are competing with the big boys.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #297 of 1,311
OT but I wasn't impressed by the SE215s at all when I briefly listened to them. Bass is a bit too loose, mids are colored and treble is too laid back.  They're solid, but nothing special, the Xcape v1s on the other hand are like a mini EX600. Both sound very alike IMO, with the EX600 sounding more spacious and dynamic. 

@Eric I think that muddiness is that midbass bleed on the FX700s, some like it some don't and it's there even with a shallow seal (thought to a lesser extent). EX600s are clearer, but the refineness of each is comparable, hard to say which is better there. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #298 of 1,311

Quote:
OT but I wasn't impressed by the SE215s at all when I briefly listened to them. Bass is a bit too loose, mids are colored and treble is too laid back.  They're solid, but nothing special...

I agree. While the SE215 is a very good $100 phone, the EX600 is quite a different beast - bass, treble, soundstage & dynamic range are in a completely different league. Mids on the SE215 were nice, though.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #299 of 1,311

Quote:
EX600s are clearer, but the refineness of each is comparable, hard to say which is better there. 

So you and ericp10 find the EX600 as refined as the FX700?  Am I reading that correctly?

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #300 of 1,311
Its more refined in the bass and lower mids but after that I would give it to the FX700s but the 600s are close. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back