Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #257 of 1,311
midbass hump sounds familiar... im sure the IE8 has that since i probably read the entire original IE8 thread sometime ago

dont really know what that is but i'm sure glad to hear the ex600 doesnt have that since i already decided on it and it's coming next month
biggrin.gif

i'd sure like something different since i already had bassy earphones in the cx500 and IE8

something kinda opposite would be good. balanced/brighter sound most likely.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #258 of 1,311
^ Sounds reasonable for a stage monitor. I'm not really sure about how that would fit my own preferences though, since I found the EX1000's treble spot-on for my taste. Almost the same can be said for the EX600 after their initial harshness settled, though I remember the EX1000 sounding a bit more refined and even livelier up there. If "controlled" translates into "less lively", the 7550 might not be for me. But, as the saying goes, you never know until you tried.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #259 of 1,311
Damn you guys! The quad and I were doing oh so well (with the SM2 and 215 finding themselves in my ears from time to time), then you guys had to state that the EX600 sounded just as good or better than my favorite universal of all time - the FX700.

So, not the EX600 should hit my mailbox Monday or Tuesday. I managed to score one through Amazon.com for about $150. I'm not expecting the bass of the quads (before anyone says they will let me down in bass). I'm not even expecting the bass quantity of the FX700, but I am looking forward to hearing something close (if not better than) to that timbre I miss with the JVC. 

The 1964 is still my favorite sounding iem, but I do find myself not wanting to take out and about so much. The JVC, with poor isolation, never bothered out and about. I was able to go get a great seal, and the music drowned out much of the outside noises. I'm suppose to be on the list for a loner EX1000, but the wait was killing me (I must be behind like 10 people...), so I opted to get the EX600 since many trusted reviewers here say it's not too far behind the EX1000. If I find I agree with the rest of you guys, then this will be my new bang-for-buck iem since the DDM. I don't count iems that were one set price and then dropped to a really low price - like the Custom 3. So here's hoping I like them.

FYI: the FA-011 headphone by Fischer is still the best bang-for-the-buck headphone I've ever heard thus far.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #260 of 1,311
Hi Eric, there are far less folks before you, but they're taking their time... which is fine with me, because thus we get more accurate impressions. But I'm pretty sure you'll like the EX600, just don't judge them right out of the box and give the treble a few hours to smooth out. As for timbre, like Inks said, it depends on the instrument, FX700 are possibly still king of strings, but overall the EX600 don't fall short in that regard. Looking forward to your take on the Sonys...
smile_phones.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #261 of 1,311

Quote:
Hi Eric, there are far less folks before you, but they're taking their time... which is fine with me, because thus we get more accurate impressions. But I'm pretty sure you'll like the EX600, just don't judge them right out of the box and give the treble a few hours to smooth out. As for timbre, like Inks said, it depends on the instrument, FX700 are possibly still king of strings, but overall the EX600 don't fall short in that regard. Looking forward to your take on the Sonys...
smile_phones.gif

Sounds interesting @ james444. Don't worry, I won't throw them in the trash if they fall short of the JVCs in any way...lol. You know I do like various sound signature. It's kind of like the Custom 3, could be better in the bass and treble (although not bad, and better than the SE535), but I've yet to hear a universal that makes the acoustic guitar sound as natural as the C3. The C3 loves the acoustic guitar and human voice (quad and FX700 come close with the guitar, but the C3 wins for my ears). So I'm looking forward to it. And also looking forward to comparing the EX600 to the EX1000. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #264 of 1,311

Quote:
I'm just showcasing my ignorance here, what is a "Quad"? By context I'm gonna guess "quad-driver IEM" so a W4?

Sorry @ 3602, right, my 1964-Q (its official name) quad-driver custom in-ear monitor made by 1964 EARS.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #265 of 1,311
Oh, must be very nice.
I haven't eliminated the probability of me getting some custom IEMs in the future. But I have two problems:
1. I'm in Quebec. We have about 6 audiologists in the entire city. This is not a joke.
2. Refits. If I need a new pair of impressions, this loops right back to Point #1.
So finally a higher-end universal IEM is a better choice.

EDIT: Also, a pair of impressions cost $150. Point of interest.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #266 of 1,311
@ ericp10

IMHO, The FX700 is better than the EX600.  The technicalities and refinement of the EX1000 and FX700 are closer to each other but the sound sig of the EX600 is very close to the EX1000 if that makes sense.  

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #267 of 1,311
I agree, even though the EX600 is very competent and easily one of the best bang for the buck in terms of sound and build at that price point, FX700s have a bit more going for it.  This still says a lot for the Sonys which are ~150$ and currently the best bang-for-buck Sonys. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #269 of 1,311
I've wanted an FX700 for a long time now, actually, but I just cannot afford to pet the wood. What sealant and/or wax should I apply? And stuff as such.
But one day I'll go get meself the EX1000, that's for sure.
Well, I guess I'm not immune to the Flagship Syndrome after all.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #270 of 1,311
I like the noise isolation tips better than the hybrids.  I was skeptical because all they were was foam inside hybrids, but they add to the seal.  I think it provides better isolation for fuller sound.  Has anybody tried any other tips that work well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back