Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #226 of 1,311
Quote:
Tbh, I'm not really a fan of the EX1000/FX700 comparison.  Or should I say 'competition'.  I think they are different enough to warrant separate consideration.  I think you would need to determine which signature you prefer for your music.  I would certainly take the mids and lows of the EX1000 w/ a bit more bass quantity but short of the FX700.  Then blend in the FX700's treble w/ the right tip selection.  Something like that.  I also think as long as coherency is maintained BA's rule in imaging and separation for IEMs so it's not quite that simple either.  Where BA's can crossover from superb imaging to loss of coherency, dynamics can go from coherent to blended and lost imaging.     

As for ruling the $150 range.  I can still see the EX600 and DBA02 coexisting.  

I guess I'm just not into this whole absolute winner concept.

Excellent points and I agree with most of it (except that the EX1000 have sufficient bass for my taste), but at the end of the day I also take into consideration how certain phones are stealing ear time from others. Highly personal of course, but ever since I got the Sonys, the FX700 have taken a hit in that regard, much more so than my BAs or MAs. So it's kind of a competition anyway.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #227 of 1,311
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it!

I just don't do the return policy because I find it to be a nuisance sometimes, plus I never returned anything I bought before so I wouldn't really know how to respond to that situation.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #229 of 1,311

Quote:
Excellent points and I agree with most of it (except that the EX1000 have sufficient bass for my taste), but at the end of the day I also take into consideration how certain phones are stealing ear time from others. Highly personal of course, but ever since I got the Sonys, the FX700 have taken a hit in that regard, much more so than my BAs or MAs. So it's kind of a competition anyway.

Agreed.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #230 of 1,311

[size=medium]
K, pumping the sonic juice through both today.  So far, the EX1000 loses out to the EX600 in nothing except perhaps one thing but more later on that.  When pushed the Ex600 is decidedly less refined, articulate and liquid.  Decidedly in the way I use it of course.  Instrument separation, imaging, micro detail, it's all much clearer and more refined on the 1000.  As suspected the bass comments from yesterday are off.  The 600 has nothing on the 1000 in the low end.  So yes the 600 is 95% of the 1000, in sound signature.  But in performance I feel its more like 75-85% depending on how you weight various aspects.  For me it's about 75%.  The 600 is still only two days old however, the 1000 is well run in.  

Now for the exception.  You might not like this but take it as you like.  I noticed the EX1000 sounded really good today w/ none of that splashiness and treble peak that was fatiguing me all the previous times.  I figured I got used to the sound or the drivers loosened up after a few days of exercise.  Dynamic drivers actually can return to a 'resting form' after much disuse btw.  There is supported research to this fact.  I looked down and remembered I had swapped the 600 and 1000 cables when playing with them.  I reverted them back and the issues I had w/ the ex1000 seemed to return.  Oh the fatigue!  Call it expectation bias or whatever but that's how it sounds to me.  I'm going to do more testing but so far I prefer the 1000 w/ the 600 cable which would be good being that I'm in the US we get the 'cheap' 600 cable on the 1000.

Edit - Bad news.  The cable does make a difference to my ears.  The fatigue and peak is gone.  This is now the near perfect and best of all the universals I've heard.  If I had swapped the cables back in January I would have given these a gigantic thumbs up!  I can listen to these endlessly now and the balance and tonality is spot on.  Time to wait for a sale or the 7550.  Unless something happens w/ burn-in the EX600 will be going back, not for me.

Testing done via DACPort > Arrow 4G default settings.  Both EX600 and EX1000 plugged into the dual output jacks of the Arrow simultaneously.  Same UE single flange silicone tips on both sets.

Note - I also tried dfkt's suggestion about pushing tips beyond the stopper on the nozzle.  Did so on both sets and worked out great.  Highly recommended.   

[/size]

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #232 of 1,311
man, i'm really torn up here...
confused_face_2.gif

ok, first off... i cant audition any of these IEMs, so that's out of the question

on the $150 horizon, i pretty much trimmed it down to the ex600 and the gr07

now i'd like to think of myself as a music nerd of some sort(think of that movie high-fidelity) but i've always focused on Rock.

just to give you an idea, i'd say somewhere along the lines of:
my bloody valentine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVj-fc1M_D0
smashing pumpkins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUd896Sur0
u2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHa4y0uGKZw

i like em overproduced, layered, guitars-galore, and LOUD rock songs!
now when i listened to those over and over on my IE8s(R.I.P), i just couldn't believe what i was hearing. twas a revelation honestly.
but overtime the IE8s seemed too be overly bassy for me, even at the lowest bass setting and EQing my sony s639 to increase treble a bit.
for example, the chainsaw guitar of my bloody valentine was somewhat overshadowed by the thumping bass. the pumpkin's fuzz and the edge's delays were kinda in the background
but that's not to say i didnt still enjoy the IE8s. listening to some massive attack, prodigy, chemical brothers... i could still go crazy while i'm commuting. :D

basically, reading that mid-range IEMs are getting higher SQ for almost half the price nowadays.. i'm looking for something that would be great for rock(distorted guitars). great bass(not overbearing),
nice mids(for those screaming vocals) and i'd like to own something with this thing they call "sparkling highs", whatever that is... heheeh

now what would be the best for me, knowing my tastes and preferences? for one thing, from the hundreds of pages i read about the gr07, no one can be disappointed on these. they pretty much eat anything you throw at them.
i like that... but reading the impressions on the ex600 on this thread alone, with comparisons to the fx700 and its big brother ex1000. i just cant help but be very curious about its sound. also it looks pretty durable and the
detachable cables are a big plus to me. not to mention my PMP is a sony. also, coming from the IE8s, i dont think soundstage would be that high on the list for me compared to balance and great highs right now.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #233 of 1,311
Anaxilus, good to see you again? Wow, 7K posts? What's up with that font?
I should probably play around with tips. When the local Worst Buy opens I'll go ask for SuperTips. Sony Hybrids fit on MTP's, maybe they'll do the other way around.
Even at 75% perf, the price isn't at that much. So it's still quite a good thing, the EX600.

Also with the emergence of stuff like the said MTP's, the IE 8 has been lowered by quite a bit even by Sennheiser's own IE 7, it seems. Like infighting between the Tuscon and the Santa Fe. It's not that I like Korean cars (well, the new KIA line looks surprisingly sharp and Acura-ish. No, I don't like Japs cars neither), it's just the best example I can come up with right now.
The Vice Admiral beats the Admiral. Personal belief.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #234 of 1,311

Quote:

ok, first off... i cant audition any of these IEMs, so that's out of the question

No local Sony Style? Hmm that could be a problem, although national shipping isn't usually quite expensive (depending on where you live of course, USPS gives you flat rate boxes, a feature we Canadians just plain don't have, right now we have closed Post Offices) so if you return them, you don't lose much.
"GR07" that's Chinese, right? No comment. I am having a hard time right now not to post racist remarks.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #235 of 1,311

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

on the $150 horizon, i pretty much trimmed it down to the ex600 and the gr07

Hard to say w/o both side by side.  But a few basic differences.

GR07 wins:  Fit, comfort, isolation, perhaps more refinement when driven hard.  Could be the same, tough going from memory.  Not sure if the more mechanical sounding timbre would be a plus or minus for you.

EX600 wins:  Timbre or natural, accurate sound of instruments and vocals.  Equals or betters the rest.

Quote:
What's up with that font?

Sorry, copy pasted from another thread.  Huddler thing I guess.  >.<

Even at 75% perf, the price isn't at that much. So it's still quite a good thing, the EX600.

It is!  Plus it is basically the same sound signature as the EX1000.

The Vice Admiral beats the Admiral. 

No opinion about the sexual relations of naval personnel.

Good to see you too.  Been awhile.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #236 of 1,311
yeah, vsonic is a chinese company i believe. but it has somehow become very popular here in head-fi nowadays :)

nope, no sonystyle here. i'm just gonna have someone buy it for me and handcarry it here.

returning and shipping i guess would be too much of a hassle here in the philippines. with all the import taxes and the craziness that goes around our customs bureau.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #237 of 1,311
OK you're in the Philippines.
You're going to need a person who has heard both (this is where Anaxilus comes in). Sorry.

Also uh, that's just my way of saying "the sub-flagship wins over the flagship".

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #238 of 1,311
btw, the seller on ebay selling it for $149 is back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-EX600-Studio-Quality-Earbud-DJ-Headphones-2011-/220803187933?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item3368e544dd

decisions, decisions...

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #239 of 1,311
yeah, and i think Inks has both as well. along with your impressions, james,cliffs.. and i believe we still have to hear from music_4321 about his impressions.

based on those, im pulling the trigger on these! life's too short! heehhe

Quote:
OK you're in the Philippines.
You're going to need a person who has heard both (this is where Anaxilus comes in). Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back