Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #211 of 1,311

Quote:
By the way, how long have you had them for and how do they compare?

I'll have an answer for you by the end of next week.  I guess that's kind of an answer.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #212 of 1,311
Well, the 600's have this plastic hump over the housing and the joint where the nozzle attaches is abrupt while the 1000's housing is completely smooth on top w/ a tapered joint on the nozzle.  

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #213 of 1,311
i think i'm pretty much set on the ex600. if its equal/on par to the fx700(an IEM that i've been reading and raving a lot about but i cant afford) and its very close to the flagship ex1000,
then its a no-brainer. this will rule atop the mid-range $150-ish IEM.. above the gr07 and re262.

now if only that ebay seller with the $150 selling price would relist the ex600s :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #214 of 1,311

Quote:
i think i'm pretty much set on the ex600. if its equal/on par to the fx700(an IEM that i've been reading and raving a lot about but i cant afford) and its very close to the flagship ex1000,
then its a no-brainer. this will rule atop the mid-range $150-ish IEM.. above the gr07 and re262.

now if only that ebay seller with the $150 selling price would relist the ex600s :)

Tbh, I'm not really a fan of the EX1000/FX700 comparison.  Or should I say 'competition'.  I think they are different enough to warrant separate consideration.  I think you would need to determine which signature you prefer for your music.  I would certainly take the mids and lows of the EX1000 w/ a bit more bass quantity but short of the FX700.  Then blend in the FX700's treble w/ the right tip selection.  Something like that.  I also think as long as coherency is maintained BA's rule in imaging and separation for IEMs so it's not quite that simple either.  Where BA's can crossover from superb imaging to loss of coherency, dynamics can go from coherent to blended and lost imaging.     

As for ruling the $150 range.  I can still see the EX600 and DBA02 coexisting.  

I guess I'm just not into this whole absolute winner concept.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #215 of 1,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Discman is good.

I overreeacted, the T51 just overheated and wouldn't turn on, perhaps I left it charging for too long, seems like it has some kind of self-protection circuitry, either that or the new sandisk 16GB was preventing it from turning on. I agree most Chinese products are just plain bad, the T51, they actually put some effort into it, and update the firmware and so on.

Yes, discman's are great =) using a 1990 model at the moment =)

Sorry for going OT.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #216 of 1,311

Quote:
Good to have them both, since memory is not reliable. I didn't remember that. Just fit-wise they feel the same to me.

They are basically, I just worked around it a bit.  A slight twist and clearance is fine.  No more bump rub.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #218 of 1,311

Quote:
^ Any noticeable sonic differences?

Too early, I've had some listens but I'm in the running through phase.  I'll compare a bit toward the end of the week.  I will say that I haven't been assaulted by whatever spike was bothering me on the EX1000 and I don't think the EX600 is delivering the low end experience of the EX1000 yet.  I could be talking out my a** though.  Very early.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #219 of 1,311
Hey, when did this thread get BOT :)
popcorn.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #220 of 1,311
Quote:
... and I don't think the EX600 is delivering the low end experience of the EX1000 yet.

Funny, I just A/Bed the EX600 and JH13 demos with Cassandra Wilson's "Closer to you". The EX600 have better deep bass due to a noticable mid-bass hump on the JH13-d. I thought the latter were supposed to be flat, but they are not. They better the Sonys in many other aspects though, which comes as no real surprise. Though the difference to my ears is smaller than expected.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #221 of 1,311

Quote:
Funny, I just A/Bed the EX600 and JH13 demos with Cassandra Wilson's "Closer to you". The EX600 have better deep bass due to a noticable mid-bass hump on the JH13-d. I thought the latter were supposed to be flat, but they are not. They better the Sonys in many other aspects though, which comes as no real surprise. Though the difference to my ears is smaller than expected.

Well, I've talked to some unnamed people in the industry about the JH13 being flat.  Some might say there are a couple areas of slight emphasis to add 'musicality'.

How does the clarity compare?

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #222 of 1,311
^ Well, they're clearer than the EX600 throughout the whole frequency range, but they're also more in-your-face (think SM3 mids minus the thickness) which adds to the perception of clarity. But since everything sounds very close, there's not much depth to the soundstage. The EX600 sound more 3D, ever though their mids are not exactly laid back either.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #223 of 1,311

Quote:
Too early, I've had some listens but I'm in the running through phase.  I'll compare a bit toward the end of the week.  I will say that I haven't been assaulted by whatever spike was bothering me on the EX1000 and I don't think the EX600 is delivering the low end experience of the EX1000 yet.  I could be talking out my a** though.  Very early.

So, from your VERY initial impressions you're saying you may prefer the 600's high-end and the 1000's low-end? I know, I  know, still early days. I think with regards to the treble, your brain may have already somehow tuned into the EX1000's high-end response - mere speculation, of course.

I know my very initial impressions of the EX1000s were the treble was a bit brighter than I like, but that was coming from the W4s and having chosen a couple of brighter recordings I have. I still hear that brightness in some recordings but it isn't as 'offensive', though at higher volumes the W4s were definitely more forgiving with those albums, and that's why I'm still very happy with my ES3X, a different beast and a great complement to the excellent EX1000s. BUT, on quite a few other recordings the EX1000's treble is phenomenal.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #224 of 1,311
On the PCM-D50, the EX600 is (oh boy) tipped towards the mid-upper band. There is bass. The depth and extension is there. Every single bit of bass gets rendered but they just don't go deep into your heart.
Note that the PCM-D50 is rather bass-light on itself (paired with 32ohm phones) though.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #225 of 1,311

Quote:
Hey guys, I was thinking of purchasing the EX600 as my next IEM to succeed my S4. How does the S4 compare to the EX600, or the Shure SE315 vs EX600? Is there a noticeable difference?

My only concern is that from reading through this thread and a few other threads that the main problem with this IEM is proper fit and wind nose. 

Anyone knows any good place to audition these before purchasing in Toronto? I went to Sony store in Eaton's and they don't have a demo unit available. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Seems like nobody is responding to this post. Well, I shall try.
Uh. The S4 is a bass IEM. So right there you have a problem: If you're really used to the dark and bassy sound, the initial treble on the EX600 will freak you out.
That said. Reviews state that the S4 cable is quite poor. This is not the case with the EX600. Granted for such an IEM its cable does feel cheap (really thin) but at least there is proper relieving. OK, there are no relieves at the Y-split, but that split itself is also extremely slim and thus, will not cause troubles (God I hope). You can apply a segment of heat-shrink tubing over it if you're using the straight-plug cable.
SE315, no experience.
The wind noise doesn't but me, but it may you. So that.
Fit. This is something that you need to try out for yourself. If you have the money, go buy a box and try them. You always have the return period, so what could possibly go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back